• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W Model 637 Rust

SQLtables

imported post

I've been carrying my new S&W J-frame in an Uncle Mikes Sidekick pocket holster for about two months. I noticed yesterday that the screw in the grip seems to be rusted. The other end of the screw (on the other side of the grip) is rusted as well. As you can see, the rest of the gun is still perfect, since it's protected by the holster. What do you think about this? Is it something S&W might take care of? Is it too insignificant to even bother with? I'm not sure how I feel about it.

revolversmall2.jpg
revolversmall.3.jpg

revolversmall3.jpg

thx997303

imported post

The grip screw is rusted? Probably was just a black screw. I think my old K frame has a rusted screw.

If you just bought it, S&W may take care of it, but I would probably just get another screw, preferably stainless.

Or remove the rust, and oil the screw.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
just get another screw, preferably stainless.
+1....they're pretty cheap from www.midwayusa.com
You shouldn't have to worry about the rest of the exterior of the gun rusting...the "Airweight" is made of stainless and other alloys....just keep the "inards" clean and oiled.

johnnylaw53

imported post

The screw on the j frame always rust you need to dap a little oil on it now and then if that too much for you maybe you can fine a stainliss screw for it. I put my old j frame grips with the stainless screw that use to be on my old mod. 60 on my 642 so i don't have a problem with it. before i did that the grips that came on the gun the screw was always rusting.

redlegagent

imported post

Just replace the screw and remember - even rubber grips need to be removed and oiled periodically. Rubber holds the moisture if it gets wet. Every 3-6 months you should remove the grips and wipe down and apply light coat of oil - even to screws. ;)