• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NSCA CCW Permit Holders Forum

varminter22

imported post

The Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n will host a NV CCW permit holders forum date on September 10, 2008. Time 1:30 p.m. (Note this was originally scheduled for August 5, but recently changed to September 10.)

This year the event will be hosted in Las Vegas with a videoconference link to Carson City.

Carson City location: Nevada Assembly bldg; exact room unknown right now; perhaps it will be room 4100.But it won't be hard to find - walk in the Assembly front door and check the monitor or ask at the desk.

All CCW permit holders and interested parties are encouraged to attend and make your voice heard on the issues.

If you're unable to attend, you can view/listen to the proceeding via the internet. I don't yet know the exact web address but you can may find it here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/then click on "Live Meetings - Listen or View"

Last year was the first forum of this kind and it was beneficial.

If you are unable to attend and have comments/questions you would like addressed, contact:

Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association Office:

Frank Adams, Executive Director
P.O. Box 3247
Mesquite NV 89024
(866) 266-9870
FAX (702) 345-3565

NSCA website: http://www.nvsca.com/index.htm

varminter22

imported post

In response to some questions on another forum, I posted this:

What is the purpose of this forum?
To nurture dialogue between the Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n and all Nevada CCW Permittees; to provide a forum for Nevada CCW Permittees to voice their opinions and concerns and ask questions about Nevada CCW law - and to recommend changes to the law.

How long is it scheduled to last?
I suspect about 1.5 hours.

How many attended last year?
I didn't take a head count last year, but I'll guess there were 60 to 80 attending in Carson City and a few in Las Vegas (via internet videoconference.)

Lastly: Eats?
As I recall, you're on your own. Eat before or after the forum.

This forum came about last year because of the efforts of pro gun/CCW Nevada Senator John Lee (D-Clark County.) There were firearms/CCW issues in the 2007 Legislative Session and Senator Lee (correctly) believed there should be dialogue between the NSCA and the people.

The NSCA is a Nevada non profit corporation. BUT they do have enormous (too much, in my opinion) influence in the Nevada Legislature. It is in the best interest of Nevada's citizenry to attend this forum and support current law and discuss appropriate and necessary changes.

Everyone (well, as many as time permits) will be allowed to speak. Last year, the forum was held in Carson City and Las Vegas attendees spoke via televideo conference. This year, the forum is in Las Vegas and Carson City attendees will speak via televideo.

A CD audio recording of last year's forum is available from the state for $9.50 (shipped). (Sorry, I don't have a telephone number nor web address handy, but a call to the Legislature will do the trick.) If you're in northern Nevada, I can probably get a copy of the CD to you, face to face.

Lastly, the forum will be broadcast on the internet for all to view/listen. However, if you have any comments/questions/etc, I would advise you to send with a person attending OR send via mail/fax to Mr Frank Adams, Exec Dir of the NSCA. I believe the forum will be available at www.leg.state.nv.us then click on "Live Meetings - Listen or View".

Jared

imported post

How about trying to go all the way this upcoming session to just make the permit valid for all handguns, no more type and no more make model and caliber of each semi auto. This issue really only concerns residents as non-residents can carry what they want on an out of state permit.

varminter22

imported post

Jared wrote:
How about trying to go all the way this upcoming session to just make the permit valid for all handguns, no more type and no more make model and caliber of each semi auto. This issue really only concerns residents as non-residents can carry what they want on an out of state permit.

THAT is most definitely on my list!

And it MAY be relatively easy to accomplish - I stress "MAY".

In the 2007 legislature, there was only ONE person in the whole world that opposed it - Bernie Anderson (D-Washoe #31)

Anderson, Bernie
(Party) Democrat
(District) Washoe, No. 31

747 Glen Meadow Drive
Sparks,NV 89434-1536
(Wk)
(LCB) 775-684-8563
(LCB Room Number) 3127
(Home) 775-358-8113
(Fax) 775-358-5825
(Cell)
(Term ends) Nov. 2008
(EMail) banderson@asm.state.nv.us

Above info from http://www.leg.state.nv.us/74th/Legislators/Assembly/alist.cfm

Bernie is Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He acted VERY surprised when even the NSCA testified in support of "any semi auto/any revolver/both". Personally, I think he was simply "saving face" when he "allowed"the compromise of "any revolver" but kept the semi autos by make/model/caliber.

First, we can hope the good people of Washoe County District 31 will elect a more "pro gun" friendly assemblyman in November. If not, we can hope to get this legislation past Bernie Anderson; we'll need everyone's support to email, mail, call, fax our legislators.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FYI, emails, letters and FAXes to Bernie Anderson are met with "Quit wasting my time. If you have something to say, show up at the legislature and testify, otherwise shut up and leave me alone."

Ask me how I know.

Bernie Anderson is the #1 enemy of gun owners in the Nevada legislature. He should have been gone a LONG time ago. I don't understand how he keeps getting elected up there.

And the Northerners want to blame Clark County for liberalism in Nevada? Hrmph.

varminter22

imported post

Of course I agree that Bernie is no friend of gun owners.

Tell us the "how do I know" story. Sounds interesting.

I don't know if Bernie has an opponent in the November election. But I would be willing to drive into that Washoe County district and help campaign for a worthy opponent.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's not as interesting as you might think.

Last year when the bill to increase CCW fees was going around, I wrote all the legislators an email, and followed it with a FAX. I wrote the note personally from scratch, and never posted it verbatim to any online forums.

I got responses from about 90% of the legislators with follow-up questions, thanks for the info, and generic form responses. Bernie wrote me a page long diatribe about how us gun nuts were biting the hand that feeds us, and he remembers when we wanted CCW in the first place and the NSCA was our best friend... now we're attacking them, blah blah blah.

I wrote back and told him that agreeing or disagreeing with a group on a single issue did not imply wholesale agreement or disagreement with that organization's agenda and opinion on eveyr possible issue now and in the future.

He wrote back and told me that he was sick of us "gun nuts" all mass-emailing him the same form letter. He further said, "this is the last one of these stupid letters I'm replying to." Then he went on to lecture me for a page about civics and the Nevada legislative process. That if I had an opinion, I could drive to Carson City and get on the roster to speak like everyone else. "That's the way it works."

I wrote back to him that with nearly 3 million people in Nevada, it wasn't practical to expect every citizen with an opinion on every issue to show up in Carson City. That with the evolution of communications technology in the past 100 years, he should be pleased with the ability for him to communicate with Nevadans in a direct way that would not have been possible in decades past.

He never replied.

That's the story in a nutshell. He's a piece of worthless garbage, imo.

varminter22

imported post

I remember that issue. I too was heavily involved. And a huge number of good people emailed, wrote, called Bernie.

Since Bernie was deadset against it, I like to think that is the reason he finally allowed that bill to move forward. A LOT of people urged him to rethink the issue.

I most assuredly agree with ya. Bernie needs to be removed from office.

varminter22

imported post

A change in plans:
The panel will be in the Legislative Building in Carson City. It will be televised to the State Building in Las Vegas at the Legislative Offices and it will be televised over the internet on the Legislative web site.
A press release should be forthcoming.

varminter22

imported post

kenny wrote:
I had made plans to attend the original August date. OF course that was postponed. Are there any plans or thoughts to increase the list of reciprocal states?

I'm confident that issue will be addressed. However, in order to significantly expand the list, it might require new legislation. Existing law:

NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.

(Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)

NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

(b) Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system.

(c) Prepare a list of states that meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b). A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list.

(d) Provide a copy of the list prepared pursuant to paragraph (c) to each law enforcement agency in this State.

2. The Department shall, upon request, make the list prepared pursuant to subsection 1 available to the public.

(Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)

The biggest roadblocks are:

"...each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system."

and

"A state must not be included in the list unless the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association agrees with the Department that the state should be included in the list."

varminter22

imported post

From the NRA-ILA:
The Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association will be holding the second annual Nevada Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit holders' Forum on Wednesday, September 10 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. It will be held at the Nevada Legislature Building at 401 S. Carson Street in Carson City, in room 3138. This meeting will be teleconferenced to the Grant Sawyer Building at 555 E. Washington Blvd. in room 4401 in Las Vegas.

The meeting will also be broadcast on the Nevada Legislature's website at http://www.leg.state.nv.us. For those members who can't attend the meeting, questions can be submitted prior to the event via email to Frank Adams at fadams@nvsca.com or mailed to the NSCA at P.O. Box 3247 Mesquite, NV 89024.

Last year, hundreds of NRA members attended the meeting and were given an opportunity to provide much-needed input regarding the administration of the CCW permitting process. It is vital that the pro-gun community participate in this important forum -please take the time to show your support for Right to Carry in Nevada!

[align=center][/quote][/b][/align]

kenny

imported post

My state has a better reporting system than half of the states listed in their current list. One would think they have a critera for the selection process. I would just like to know if it is only a matter of bringing it to their attention.

CowboyKen

imported post

kenny wrote:
My state has a better reporting system than half of the states listed in their current list. One would think they have a critera for the selection process. I would just like to know if it is only a matter of bringing it to their attention.

It may be. Why don't you ask the authorities in your state to get in touch with the Nevada Department of Public Safety, Records and Technology Division.

Ken

kenny

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
kenny wrote:
My state has a better reporting system than half of the states listed in their current list. One would think they have a criteria for the selection process. I would just like to know if it is only a matter of bringing it to their attention.

It may be. Why don't you ask the authorities in your state to get in touch with the Nevada Department of Public Safety, Records and Technology Division.

Ken
Did that already. The process has to start in Nevada, which makes sense as that is the state I seek recognition in. I guess it is another case of you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

CowboyKen

imported post

kenny wrote:
Did that already. The process has to start in Nevada, which makes sense as that is the state I seek recognition in. I guess it is another case of you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Yes but, if you know when to lead them to water, they will drink. If not we just put a tube up their nose and pump the water into their belly.

Seriously, the Nevada DPS was supposed to look at the requirement in each state and make recommendations. It looks like they missed a couple (Florida and Michigan) and ammended the list. If your state meets the requirements - no record, training and available central database - they should be added to the list.

If that is not going to happen I would suggest a Florida or Utah permit. Then you can bring your concealed gun and be very welcome here in Vegas baby. Oh yeah, please bring lots of money.

Ken

varminter22

imported post

Postcard mail alert from the NRA-ILA:

nramail72dpizx0.jpg

varminter22

imported post

Many, many thanks to all that attended the forum. There must have been 300 people there!!! Standing (and sitting on the floor) room only!

Anyone watch/listen via the internet???

I think it was a very worthwhile event.

Comments??