• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JUST IN - LOS ANGELES HOME INVASION STOPPED BY ARMED RESIDENT

cato

imported post

http://cbs2.com/local/Woodland.Hills.Deadly.2.785958.html

&

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-woodland2-2008aug02,0,6507606.story

Score one for the good guys!!!

Woodland Hills residents kill 1 of 3 armed intruders

A second suspect is arrested by police, who are looking for the third man. The assailants had kicked in the door in an apparent home invasion robbery.
By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 2, 2008
Residents of a Woodland Hills home fatally shot one of three armed intruders who broke into the house today in an apparent home invasion robbery, police said.

Los Angeles Police Department officers captured one of the suspects and are looking for the third.

Officer Jason Lee said the shooting occurred about 2:45 p.m. in the 24300 block of Burbank Boulevard when the three men allegedly kicked in the door to the house.

Lee said there apparently were four people inside the home and officers were trying to determine how many of them fired at the intruders.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Well, they picked the wrong damn house to barge into. Especially if more than one occupant was in the position to pop a cap intothe intruders. If only every home was as well defended.

cato

imported post

My only worry is that sometimes the "victims" in LA are not the best poster boys. But we'll see.;)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

2:30 PM home invasion robbery?!

<Goes and checks that all doors/windows are locked and makes sure there's one in the tube in his 'around the house' sidearm...>

Glad to hear one of them got what they all deserved. Hopefully the escapee doesn't bring in the cavalry, who will undoubtedly be armed to the teeth despite CA law.

It's a scary prospect making enemies with a criminal element. The average citizen doesn't have 'large-capacity' mags, automatic weapons, etc. For some reason criminals ignore those laws, giving them the advantage.

Californian

imported post

I'm curious as to whether or not the police arrested the shooter and took his guns.

Something similar happened to me, except that I was afraid to shoot an unarmed man and hit him in the head with a shovel instead (when he assaulted me and threatened my life, of course).

Me- JAIL- assault with a deadly weapon (luckily it got dropped when the crackhead wouldn't show to testify).

Him- Hospital, 13 stitches and released (and he had an outstanding warrant at the time).

Can someone point me in the direction of the law that states that we can defend ourselves?:cuss:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Update with a little more detail: one dead; two at large.

By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 2, 2008
A man fatally shot one of three armed intruders who broke into his Woodland Hills home today in an apparent home invasion robbery, police said.

The dead intruder, a man in his 20s whose name has not been released, was found with a handgun, said Officer Jason Lee, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

The other two suspects remain at large. Officers detained one man, but later let him go after concluding that he had no role in the incident, Lee said.

The shooting occurred about 2:45 p.m. in the 24300 block of Burbank Boulevard when the three men allegedly kicked in the door.

In the house at the time were an elderly couple and their two grown sons. Police did not release information about who fired the fatal shot or how many might have been involved in the gunplay.

Notice the very last word there: "gunplay." Is that really an accurate/appropriate word to use for a self-defense shooting? Makes it sound like someone was having fun, which I really doubt... effing idiot reporter.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Californian wrote:
Can someone point me in the direction of the law that states that we can defend ourselves?

I'd go with the Ninth Amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
I'd be willing to bet that Blackstone has something to say about self-defense and our inherent right to be able to do so. And indeed, he does:

Self-defense is justly called the primary law of nature so it is not, neither can it be, in fact, taken away by the law of society.

Also, when poking around looking for a reference to a law I found a few articles that brought up the point that Heller actually affirms the right to self-defense, which is something I never thought about. It kind of makes sense though, if Heller wanted a handgun to defend himself, and the SCOTUS said he should be allowed one, then surely they based that allowance on some inherent right to self-defense.

Here are two of the articles I stumbled upon but actually haven't read:
http://volokh.com/posts/1216170382.shtml
http://volokh.com/posts/1216847930.shtml