• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to shoot my XD?

daveit

imported post

Hello...

I picked up an XD 9mm Subcompact about a month ago and I've been to Birchwood twice so far and I really suck at shooting with it. I am pretty new to shooting pistols (and before I only shot the M16 every 3 years), so I'm sure it's me and not the gun. Would somebody local maybe want to meet me there sometime and give me some pointers?

With the XD, I keep hitting way low. I have the Heinie slant pro/straight eight night sights on my gun and I haven't quite figured out what the sight picture should look like. I don't know if shooting from behind the bench at a downward angle is messing me up or what...being a newbie to really trying to shoot a pistol (I've shot random ones over the years but not seriously) I'm kind of lost and getting a little discouraged.

Luckily, I take my Marlin 39 along and I can hit OK with that so I don't feel too bad. I also took my 870 20 ga along today to unleash some frustration. I hit the target fine with that too.

PM or e-mail me at dtotheatothevtothee @ gmail . com

Thanks

Dave

david.ross

imported post

XD triggers suck, you have the same problem I was having. You're jerking the gun in expectation of the gun firing. Squeeze the trigger gently, and don't expect the gun to fire when pulling the trigger. I've decided, but have not yet, to replace the trigger assembly with an aftermarket trigger which doesn't take much pull to fire.

Flintlock

imported post

I agree with Kangaroo.. It sounds as if you are anticipating recoil, thereforemoving the gun downward to compensate. I have seen this many times before.Squeezing the trigger and having it be a surprise when you fire and not pulling or jerking at the trigger would be the ideal goal. Make sure not to limp wrist and hold the firearm firmly and have a nice, well-balanced stance. Maintain control ofthe weapon, don't let it get tocontroling you.. That is my advice.

If you still have problems after that, it could be a sight issue or an ammunition issue. Just my .02.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I would be happy to help you out, at the same time you can shoot my xd 45acp service. I have a trigger job on mine, WHAAAAAWWWwwwww what a difference from stock.

Ninelivez

imported post

Dry fire that thing A LOT, I dry fire a almost every night while watching TV. Work on trigger pull (smooth and deliberate) and watch for flinch (a laser is an amazing tool to help with that).

Deadcenter45

imported post

wheel.gif

This should help you with your trigger control issues.