Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skagit County Fairgrounds

Post imported post

Looks like the Skagit County Fairgrounds says no weapons. What do you think????

I live across the street.

In order to make your visit to the Fair an enjoyable experience, we appreciate your compliance with our policies noted below.

These items may not be brought into the facility:

• Alcohol
    • Weapons
    • Laser-pointing devices
    • Bicycles, roller skates/blades, skateboards, unauthorized vehicles
    • Drug paraphernalia, controlled/illegal substances
    • Animals (except service or exhibited animals or with Management permission)
    • Solicitations, no handing out, selling, or promoting products outside of commercial vendor booths.

note: Intresting because they have gun shows there.

Post imported post

Thing is, the contact email is FairGrounds@co.skagit.wa.us which means this is a government (county) run fairgrounds.

The problem is, they say "Management" throughout the rules and regs and mention that Management's say is final. Now, if they're pulling the same crap that Safeco and Qwest Fields are pulling and using a third party to have them ban firearms whereas they, as a government entity could not, then it would be "test case" time.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Sounds par for Skagit, they also have no drop boxs, weapon check at thier court houses.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

Contact the county and ask for the dude that manages the fairgrounds. If he is a county employee, they be in violation of state preemption. Which shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Post imported post

I would say that they are in violation of state pre-emption. If you read the building rental page you will see that the rental policy all the way at the bottom is between the LESSEE and COUNTY.

Here is the fairground managers e-mail;
    lcollings@co.skagit.wa.us (Leslie Collings, Fairgrounds Manager)
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    I would say that they are in violation of state pre-emption. If you read the building rental page you will see that the rental policy all the way at the bottom is between the LESSEE and COUNTY.

Here is the fairground managers e-mail;
    lcollings@co.skagit.wa.us (Leslie Collings, Fairgrounds Manager)
    Just sent email letter, will see. But than again I'm still waiting a reply from SkagitCourt House.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/13286.html
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

I know for a fact that this fair is owned and operated with tax payer dollars and that the Manager is hired and paid by Skagit County. It is patrolled by Skagit County Sheriffs Dept. The county also owns the house across the street from me and they use it for a care takers residence.

Post imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
    I know for a fact that this fair is owned and operated with tax payer dollars and that the Manager is hired and paid by Skagit County. It is patrolled by Skagit County Sheriffs Dept. The county also owns the house across the street from me and they use it for a care takers residence.
    Then the county is in violation of state law and the firearms preemption which makes there rule, law, ordinance illegal and null and void.

Post imported post

Received this response today fromSkagit County Attorneys Office. I know its a little late for the fair butshould fix the fair grounds ban in the future. I'll use him for the Court House issue as well,he invite me to use him onany other County issues involingfirearms.

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:26 PM

Subject: FW: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Dear Mr. Me.

I believe that you are correct. I will recommend that the website language be altered to comply with the State laws or eliminated entirely.

Paul Reilly
    WSBA #10709
    Civil Division
    Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney's Office

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:39 AM
    To: PaulReilly

Paul: Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:32 AM
    To: Them
    Subject: RE: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Leslie: We do have an ordinances regarding weapons/firearms on County property. I will ask Paul Reilly to review the e-mail below. I will get back to you. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Hi there,
    Please read below and let me know how you would like me to handle this.

Thanks,
    Leslie Collings
    Skagit County Fairgrounds Manager
    1410 Virginia Street
    Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    Phone: (360) 336-9453
    Fax: (360)336-9451

Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:44 PM
    To: Leslie Collings
    Subject: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

2 August 2008

Leslie Collings
    Skagit County Fairgrounds
    1410 Virginia Street
    Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    360-336-9453

Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Good Afternoon. I am inquiring about the no weapons policy on Skagit County Fairgrounds. Skagit County Fairgrounds website states “These items may not be brought into the facility, and Weapons being listed“. I want to ensure that the county was not banning firearms on public county property from those who can legally posses and carry firearms under Washington State Law. RCW 9.41.290 clearly defines the preemption. Please provide clarification on policy.

“RCW 9.41.290 State preemption.

‚ÄúThe state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300 <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300> , and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality‚ÄĚ.

Respectfully,
    //s// Me

Edit size and (them) names

Post imported post

Very nicley done ! So what about the laser pointer issue, I use lasergrips on my Kimber. :shock:

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
    Very nicley done ! So what about the laser pointer issue, I use lasergrips on my Kimber. :shock:
    I think that if you were using your Kimber as a laser pointer at the fair people might get upset. :what:

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Triple Tap wrote:
    I think that if you were using your Kimber as a laser pointer at the fair people might get upset. :what:
    Ya think?

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Good Job! Good on the County Attorney, too, for recognizing immediately that they were wrong.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Triple Tap wrote:
    Its a wonder why I cant seem to get more people into my seminars...hmmmm

Post imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
    Sorry Triple Tap, I did'nt think to address other items.

Post imported post

Hey jbone,
    Maybe this is the guy we need to talk to about the county courthouse issue. I haven't heard jack form the commissioners.

And the fairgrounds stuff is funny. Know what's there this Saturday?
    A gun & knife show.....

jbone wrote:
    Received this response today fromSkagit County Attorneys Office. I know its a little late for the fair butshould fix the fair grounds ban in the future. I'll use him for the Court House issue as well,he invite me to use him onany other County issues involingfirearms.

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:26 PM

Dear Mr. Me.

I believe that you are correct. I will recommend that the website language be altered to comply with the State laws or eliminated entirely.

Paul Reilly
    WSBA #10709
    Civil Division
    Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney's Office

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:39 AM
    To: PaulReilly

Paul: Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:32 AM
    Subject: RE: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Leslie: We do have an ordinances regarding weapons/firearms on County property. I will ask Paul Reilly to review the e-mail below. I will get back to you. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Hi there,
    Please read below and let me know how you would like me to handle this.

Thanks,
    Leslie Collings
    Skagit County Fairgrounds Manager
    1410 Virginia Street
    Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    Phone: (360) 336-9453
    Fax: (360)336-9451

Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:44 PM
    To: Leslie Collings
    Subject: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

2 August 2008

Leslie Collings
    Skagit County Fairgrounds
    1410 Virginia Street
    Mount Vernon, WA 98273
    360-336-9453

Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Good Afternoon. I am inquiring about the no weapons policy on Skagit County Fairgrounds. Skagit County Fairgrounds website states “These items may not be brought into the facility, and Weapons being listed“. I want to ensure that the county was not banning firearms on public county property from those who can legally posses and carry firearms under Washington State Law. RCW 9.41.290 clearly defines the preemption. Please provide clarification on policy.

“RCW 9.41.290 State preemption.

‚ÄúThe state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300 <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300> , and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality‚ÄĚ.

Respectfully,
    //s// Me

Edit size and (them) names

Post imported post

Reilly has been the county att. for years. He handled most of the legal matters for the proposed Shooting Range at Frailey MT. Shooters around here are not that impressed with his efforts on the Range.

Post imported post

Hammer wrote:
    Hey jbone,
    Maybe this is the guy we need to talk to about the county courthouse issue. I haven't heard jack form the commissioners.

And the fairgrounds stuff is funny. Know what's there this Saturday?
    A gun & knife show.....
    Hammer,

Isent Mr. Reilly a copy of the Skagit court house email yesterday, hoping for a response. Forgot all about the show tomorow, I think I'll try to attend hav'nt been to this falcon show yet.

Post imported post

So, seeing a commercial on the television reminded me of this thread. It was for Evergreen State Fair. I know we've determined in the past that it's a State-run fair and thus, falls under preemption, but has anyone determined if the fair has "no firearms/weapons" rules posted and, if so, it would be good to refer this letter to the authorities over there, also.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

http://www.evergreenfair.org/Userfil...ochet_Knit.pdf

See page 5

Looks like preemption to me.....

Post imported post

I didn't catch it when I posted it but look real good at the link I posted (2008_OC)

Post imported post

Evergreen State fair
    M1Gunr,

Is this what you are referring too, meaning it doesn’t apply to general public?

GENERAL RULES & INFORMATION

The following rules and regulations apply to all non-commercial

exhibitors/exhibits participating in the current year fair; exhibitors

are required to familiarize themselves with them. Fair

management reserves the final and absolute right to interpret

these rules and regulations.

Post imported post

The way it is written, if you are a exibitor you cannot carry. However If you look at the web page for the Skagit County Fairgrounds. A visitor is also held to the no weapons policy.

http://www.skagitcounty.net/Common/a...;p=general.htm

• Alcohol
    • Weapons
    • Laser-pointing devices
    • Solicitations, no handing out, selling, or promoting products outside of commercial vendor booths.

Since the fair is a division of the Snohomish County government(see page 5 of my previous pdf post), preemption still applies.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    The way it is written, if you are a exibitor you cannot carry. However If you look at the web page for the Skagit County Fairgrounds. A visitor is also held to the no weapons policy.

Since the fair is a division of the Snohomish County government(see page 5 of my previous pdf post), preemption still applies.
    At least patrons can carry at the State fair, thats something I guess. Hopfully my emailfrom Mr. Reilly changes the Skagit website as he mentioned, will be watching it.

Post imported post

Looks like they changed it! :celebrate

• Alcohol
    • Illegal Weapons
    • Laser-pointing devices

XD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast