• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skagit County Fairgrounds

ghosthunter

imported post

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Looks like the Skagit County Fairgrounds says no weapons. What do you think????[/font][/align]
[align=left]I live across the street.[/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]http://www.skagitcounty.net/fairgrounds[/font]
[/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]In order to make your visit to the Fair an enjoyable experience, we appreciate your compliance with our policies noted below.[/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]These items may not be brought into the facility:
[/font][/align]

[align=left]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Alcohol
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Weapons
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Laser-pointing devices
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Bicycles, roller skates/blades, skateboards, unauthorized vehicles
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Drug paraphernalia, controlled/illegal substances
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Animals (except service or exhibited animals or with Management permission)
    [/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Solicitations, no handing out, selling, or promoting products outside of commercial vendor booths.
    [/font]
[/align]note: Intresting because they have gun shows there.

[align=left][/align]

just_a_car

imported post

Thing is, the contact email is FairGrounds@co.skagit.wa.us which means this is a government (county) run fairgrounds.

The problem is, they say "Management" throughout the rules and regs and mention that Management's say is final. Now, if they're pulling the same crap that Safeco and Qwest Fields are pulling and using a third party to have them ban firearms whereas they, as a government entity could not, then it would be "test case" time.

jbone

imported post

Sounds par for Skagit, they also have no drop boxs, weapon check at thier court houses.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Contact the county and ask for the dude that manages the fairgrounds. If he is a county employee, they be in violation of state preemption. Which shouldn't really surprise anyone.

joeroket

imported post

I would say that they are in violation of state pre-emption. If you read the building rental page you will see that the rental policy all the way at the bottom is between the LESSEE and COUNTY.

Here is the fairground managers e-mail;
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]lcollings@co.skagit.wa.us (Leslie Collings, Fairgrounds Manager)[/font]

jbone

imported post

joeroket wrote:
I would say that they are in violation of state pre-emption. If you read the building rental page you will see that the rental policy all the way at the bottom is between the LESSEE and COUNTY.

Here is the fairground managers e-mail;
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]lcollings@co.skagit.wa.us (Leslie Collings, Fairgrounds Manager)[/font]
Just sent email letter, will see. But than again I'm still waiting a reply from SkagitCourt House.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/13286.html

ghosthunter

imported post

I know for a fact that this fair is owned and operated with tax payer dollars and that the Manager is hired and paid by Skagit County. It is patrolled by Skagit County Sheriffs Dept. The county also owns the house across the street from me and they use it for a care takers residence.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
I know for a fact that this fair is owned and operated with tax payer dollars and that the Manager is hired and paid by Skagit County. It is patrolled by Skagit County Sheriffs Dept. The county also owns the house across the street from me and they use it for a care takers residence.
Then the county is in violation of state law and the firearms preemption which makes there rule, law, ordinance illegal and null and void.

jbone

imported post

Received this response today fromSkagit County Attorneys Office. I know its a little late for the fair butshould fix the fair grounds ban in the future. I'll use him for the Court House issue as well,he invite me to use him onany other County issues involingfirearms.

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:26 PM

Subject: FW: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Dear Mr. Me.

I believe that you are correct. I will recommend that the website language be altered to comply with the State laws or eliminated entirely.

Paul Reilly
WSBA #10709
Civil Division
Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney's Office

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:39 AM
To: PaulReilly

Paul: Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:32 AM
To: Them
Subject: RE: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Leslie: We do have an ordinances regarding weapons/firearms on County property. I will ask Paul Reilly to review the e-mail below. I will get back to you. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Hi there,
Please read below and let me know how you would like me to handle this.

Thanks,
Leslie Collings
Skagit County Fairgrounds Manager
1410 Virginia Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Phone: (360) 336-9453
Fax: (360)336-9451

Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:44 PM
To: Leslie Collings
Subject: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

2 August 2008

Leslie Collings
1410 Virginia Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-336-9453

Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Good Afternoon. I am inquiring about the no weapons policy on Skagit County Fairgrounds. Skagit County Fairgrounds website states “These items may not be brought into the facility, and Weapons being listed“. I want to ensure that the county was not banning firearms on public county property from those who can legally posses and carry firearms under Washington State Law. RCW 9.41.290 clearly defines the preemption. Please provide clarification on policy.

“RCW 9.41.290 State preemption.

“The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300 <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300> , and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality”.

Respectfully,
//s// Me

Edit size and (them) names

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
Very nicley done ! So what about the laser pointer issue, I use lasergrips on my Kimber. :shock:
I think that if you were using your Kimber as a laser pointer at the fair people might get upset. :what:

Bear 45/70

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:
Very nicley done ! So what about the laser pointer issue, I use lasergrips on my Kimber. :shock:
I think that if you were using your Kimber as a laser pointer at the fair people might get upset. :what:
Ya think?
RoflLg.gif

jbone

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:

Sorry Triple Tap, I did'nt think to address other items.

Hammer

imported post

Hey jbone,
Maybe this is the guy we need to talk to about the county courthouse issue. I haven't heard jack form the commissioners.

And the fairgrounds stuff is funny. Know what's there this Saturday?
A gun & knife show.....

jbone wrote:
Received this response today fromSkagit County Attorneys Office. I know its a little late for the fair butshould fix the fair grounds ban in the future. I'll use him for the Court House issue as well,he invite me to use him onany other County issues involingfirearms.

Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:26 PM

Dear Mr. Me.

I believe that you are correct. I will recommend that the website language be altered to comply with the State laws or eliminated entirely.

Paul Reilly
WSBA #10709
Civil Division
Skagit County Prosecuting Attorney's Office

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:39 AM
To: PaulReilly

Paul: Please review and let me know what you think. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:32 AM
Subject: RE: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Leslie: We do have an ordinances regarding weapons/firearms on County property. I will ask Paul Reilly to review the e-mail below. I will get back to you. Thanks bk

Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:29 AM

Hi there,
Please read below and let me know how you would like me to handle this.

Thanks,
Leslie Collings
Skagit County Fairgrounds Manager
1410 Virginia Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Phone: (360) 336-9453
Fax: (360)336-9451

Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:44 PM
To: Leslie Collings
Subject: Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

2 August 2008

Leslie Collings
1410 Virginia Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-336-9453

Subject: Skagit County Fairgrounds Firearms ban

Good Afternoon. I am inquiring about the no weapons policy on Skagit County Fairgrounds. Skagit County Fairgrounds website states “These items may not be brought into the facility, and Weapons being listed“. I want to ensure that the county was not banning firearms on public county property from those who can legally posses and carry firearms under Washington State Law. RCW 9.41.290 clearly defines the preemption. Please provide clarification on policy.

“RCW 9.41.290 State preemption.

“The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300 <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300> , and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality”.

Respectfully,
//s// Me

Edit size and (them) names

ghosthunter

imported post

Reilly has been the county att. for years. He handled most of the legal matters for the proposed Shooting Range at Frailey MT. Shooters around here are not that impressed with his efforts on the Range.

jbone

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Hey jbone,
Maybe this is the guy we need to talk to about the county courthouse issue. I haven't heard jack form the commissioners.

And the fairgrounds stuff is funny. Know what's there this Saturday?
A gun & knife show.....
Hammer,

Isent Mr. Reilly a copy of the Skagit court house email yesterday, hoping for a response. Forgot all about the show tomorow, I think I'll try to attend hav'nt been to this falcon show yet.

just_a_car

imported post

So, seeing a commercial on the television reminded me of this thread. It was for Evergreen State Fair. I know we've determined in the past that it's a State-run fair and thus, falls under preemption, but has anyone determined if the fair has "no firearms/weapons" rules posted and, if so, it would be good to refer this letter to the authorities over there, also.