• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock carry

sureshot

imported post

I love my Glock but somebody here will probably laugh at what I am going to say.

I carry my Glock without one in the chamber because of the absence of a manual

safety. I have a Fobus holster that covers the trigger guard only. Very small.

I have tried re-holstering without magazine in it to get used to re-holstering

without touching the trigger on the holster. Hope I don't have to draw and

use it fast. I might have to tell the person to wait a minute while I load one

in the chamber. HA! HA!

sureshot

imported post

sureshot wrote:
I love my Glock but somebody here will probably laugh at what I am going to say.

in the chamber. HA! HA!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

sureshot wrote:
sureshot wrote:

in the chamber. HA! HA!

Don't worry about what others think. Carry the way you feel comfortable and at some point you will carry with one in the pipe.

If you OC, get aholster with,at least, Level II Retention. Blade-Tech and Blackhawk, to name a few,offer many, depending on which Glock you have.

ETA: Retention

Hammer

imported post

As was said above, you need to be comfortable with your carry mode.
Having carried a Colt Gov't in condition 1 for years, carrying a Glock with one up the pipe seems extra safe by comparison.
You can experiment with some things to increase your comfort level.
CLEAR YOUR GLOCK

Then holster and unholster quickly, lots of times with the chamber empty, but the action live. See if you can catch the trigger such that it could fire. Because of the trigger stroke, it's my opinion that will be difficult- nay, near impossible- to do.
But you need to be assured of that first.
Again
CLEAR YOUR GLOCK
is the first step in the process, and I'm sure you know that, but it bears repeating.
I have a Fobus with friction only retention, too. I forsook it quickly for a Serpa. I find the Serpa both comfortable and secure. I have tried the above routine many times, to see if there's a fault in the combination. My only question was when my t-shirt was hanging out and gun was being holstered. Now, when the Serpa is in use, all upper clothing is tucked in.

Last, you don't have to listen to all the pundits who will taunt that this or that is faster, or this or that more effective. In order for your system to be most effective, you need to have confidence in it.
Don't be afraid to experimant- safely! :dude:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I started carrying I was nervous about carrying my XD condition 1. I got some good advice I followed and in around a month I was carry it fully loaded. This is what I was advised:

Go ahead and carry with a full mag and an empty chamber but makes sure it is cocked. With it cocked but the chamber empty, you can check at any time whether or not it accidentally "fired". Carry it for as long as it takes for you to be comfortable that it is not going to discharge.

After a few weeks of doing that I realized that it wasn't going to accidentally go off and became comfortable with carrying condition 1. YMMV.

If you choose to continue carrying it with an empty chamber, get some snap caps and practice drawing and racking the pistol in one smooth motion so you know you can get it locked and loaded and on target quickly.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

There is also a part you can get for a Glock that goes into the trigger guard, and keeps the trigger from being pulled. It's just a little plastic thing that slides in from the left, so that when you go to put your finger in the trigger guard, it pops right out, allowing you to fire. Basically, it makes it so that the trigger cannot be pulled, unless it's being pulled by your finger. Cost is something like $12-$16.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
There is also a part you can get for a Glock that goes into the trigger guard, and keeps the trigger from being pulled. It's just a little plastic thing that slides in from the left, so that when you go to put your finger in the trigger guard, it pops right out, allowing you to fire. Basically, it makes it so that the trigger cannot be pulled, unless it's being pulled by your finger. Cost is something like $12-$16.

SAF-T-BLOK

http://www.topglock.com/category/1138-Misc_Glock_Accessories.aspx

Eagleeye

imported post

sureshot wrote:

safety. I have a Fobus holster that covers the trigger guard only.

Simple answer, Get a Serpa.

I considered getting a Fobus myself at first because it was $20 cheaper, man am I Glad I didnt, the Serpa is far superior in every way, it may not have a rubberized paddle like fobus have, but what it does have makes it FAR more Secure.

FYI: I allways carry my Glock in Condition 1.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Slayer of Paper wrote:

SAF-T-BLOK

I would strongly advise against this. This device makes it 'OK' to put your trigger finger in the trigger guard, near the trigger, even when you don't intend to immediately shoot. Not a habit conducive to safe handling of a firearm.

As was said above, carry with the striker cocked (trigger in forward position) and the chamber empty for one month. At the end of each day, mark on the calender how many times the trigger had been "pulled" while in the holster during the day, and at the end of the month, you should feel comfortable with +1 carrying.

I carry a GLOCK chambered, a Kahr chambered (also no safety lever) and my Kimber cocked and locked. W/out one in the chamber, your handgun is a handsgun.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Like others have said, get a Serpa. There is one for every Glock (except mine, and a little cutting and epoxy fixed that right up).

I was nervous about one in the chamber at first too, but I ended up naturally changing quite a few things about how I conduct myself when I started carrying. One of those things was that if I had anything in my hand I started using my left hand more. I wanted my right to be ready. Well, without one in the chamber, both hands have to be empty and ready, which may not be possible.

I have seen Israeli drills and know that they can chamber a round very quickly, but I'm not always sure that other hand will be available when I need it.

eyesopened

imported post

You'll get over the fear. Modern day pistols are very safe. If you'd like, chamber a snap cap and have a full magazine in the gun. At the end of the day, check to see if the gun has fired onto the snap cap. You'll find that you don't have to worry about it at all.

jbone

imported post

Never been a Glock fan, I have an M&P 9c. Today I looked at the Glock 36, I liked it and may be my next purchase, been looking to get a .45. Any negative I should know on the 36?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jbone wrote:
Never been a Glock fan, I have an M&P 9c. Today I looked at the Glock 36, I liked it and may be my next purchase, been looking to get a .45. Any negative I should know on the 36?
It's 4 rounds less than the 30SF and not that much thinner, IMHO. It also can only use it's magazines, where with a 30SF you can use 21 magazines for backups each holding 13 rounds. Did you get a chance to look at the 30SF?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi there, i am far from a Glock fan because it does not have a safety on it, but when you holster your weapon and are careful not to have a ND doing so, it will be safe to carry with a round in a chamber because you should not touch your weapon at all, and it will not fire on it's own, so I would say carry it to stay alive with one in the pipe.

GlockPDX

imported post

Another vote for Serpa here. I use one for my G19 and couldn't be happier. I prefer the level 2 "duty" version which the holster covers the whole slide.

Carry it how you feel comfortable.

jbone

imported post

asforme wrote:
jbone wrote:
It's 4 rounds less than the 30SF and not that much thinner, IMHO. It also can only use it's magazines, where with a 30SF you can use 21 magazines for backups each holding 13 rounds. Did you get a chance to look at the 30SF?
Never seen the 30SF, I see if I can find one sportmans wharehouse or Kesselrings tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Slayer of Paper wrote:

SAF-T-BLOK

I would strongly advise against this. This device makes it 'OK' to put your trigger finger in the trigger guard, near the trigger, even when you don't intend to immediately shoot. Not a habit conducive to safe handling of a firearm.

As was said above, carry with the striker cocked (trigger in forward position) and the chamber empty for one month. At the end of each day, mark on the calender how many times the trigger had been "pulled" while in the holster during the day, and at the end of the month, you should feel comfortable with +1 carrying.

I carry a GLOCK chambered, a Kahr chambered (also no safety lever) and my Kimber cocked and locked. W/out one in the chamber, your handgun is a handsgun.
That's interesting. I'd never gotten a really close look at how it worked (obviously I don't have one yet- I probably won't carry my Glock until it gets cooler), and had assumed that it went into the entire trigger guard, not just the part behind the trigger.

What I was thinking was that it would just stay in until you put your finger on the trigger just before firing, and that it would pop out as you naturally move your finger to prepare to fire. If it must be pushed out from behind the trigger, then you'd need to push it out as soon as you draw, which as G20 said is bad habit forming.

Oh well. I guess it's not that great of device, after all.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Serpa CQC. It won't fire.

If you like you may change out the trigger spring. I recently put a 3.5# connector and a NY1 trigger spring in my G19, and it has a noticeably harder trigger pull, but it doesn't "ramp up" before the break and it requires less forward movement for a reset.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Carrying with an empty chamber sounds great...until you get into a situation where you cannot work the slide.

One example (on The High Road, I think), a guy was charged by a dog. He drew his gun and had trouble working the slide under pressure. Fortunately, the dog didn't attack him.

What will you do if the goblin is on you and is punching or stabbing you? Worse...what if you're cornered? Cornered can mean that you're in a parking lot, standing next to your car with the door open...there are few places to run. Criminals wait for such opportunities.

Load your gun and get training. There is ample opportunity to get the skills you need to carry the gun properly.

SERPAs are crap. I took one to a training course (www.fpftraining.com) and a rock got into the lock mechanism. I had to take the holster off and work the rock out with a knife...which took 10 minutes.

Furthermore, your trigger finger should be indexing on the gun, not fooling around with the retention gizmo.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I think your comfort level will increase to the point that you can carry it with one in the chamber. I never go around without one in there, but if that's all you're comfortable with then I certainly can't ask for more.

Also remember, the Glock has PLENTY of safeties, they just aren't on a switch. They're all integrated into the trigger pull.

And of course, MAKE SURE THAT SHYTE IS EMPTY BEFORE YOU FIELD STRIP IT AND ALWAYS REMOVE THE MAGAZINE BEFORE FIELD STRIPPING. I check my chamber 4 times before field stripping. Seriously.