• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jacksonville - Good Experience

marinepilot81

imported post

A buddy and I live near the Richlands area and were heading into J-Vegas to run errands. He carried a 5 in, black 1911 and I had my stainless, 10mm 1911. Both were carried at about the 3 o'clock on our hips.

We stopped at a U-Haul first without incident. There were times hooking up the trailer where my pistol was right in the lady's face. Nothing was said and we didn't even see their eyes drift downward.

Kicking it up a notch, we hit Home Depot. Here, everyone noticed, but aside from strange stares, nothing bad to report. In fact, one of the employees (a local Marine) thought it was pretty cool. We were lifting things, reaching for things, and keeping the weapon 100% open for viewing.

Lots of stares...1 compliment...no negative feedback.

marinepilot81

imported post

We also carried up to Kinston today. Some people stare you down, but most don't say anything. Even the gas station encounter was pleasant.

While I would normally take any chance to go to the range, I'm PCSing Monday and not going to make it to the range.

Hawaii won't let me play with my toys, that's why I'm getting a little of bit out of my system before I head out.