• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Of Q-ships and Today:

Mini14

imported post

Q-ships were Britain's WWI answer to surface German U-boat attacks; the Q-ship would wait until the U-boat surfaced then frantically ran to bring hiddendeck guns into play. Since the Germans already were manningtheir guns, Q-ships were often sunk; there's no faster draw than an already drawn gun.

Concealed carry is too complicated for mytastes, you handgun could snag inside your jacket; your handgun could snag in a boot holster. Open carry issimpler and better. The less complex somerhing is, the less liable it is to fail. Why be a Q-ship when you be a U-boat?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

They are not fallacies, they are opinions or preferences and I am not normally thought of as a crowd. :)

This site is dedicated to OC and I am a firm believer in the benefits thereof: deterence, speed, comfort, education et al, even the only legal way I can carry in alcohol serving restaurants.

I've listened with an open mind to the negative reasons and find them all baseless.

Am I anti CC - absolutely not - I do so occasionally myself.

I really don't care how you carry - just be responsible and safe.

Yata hey

FightingGlock19

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
They are not fallacies, they are opinions or preferences and I am not normally thought of as a crowd. :)

This site is dedicated to OC and I am a firm believer in the benefits thereof: deterence, speed, comfort, education et al, even the only legal way I can carry in alcohol serving restaurants.

I've listened with an open mind to the negative reasons and find them all baseless.

Am I anti CC - absolutely not - I do so occasionally myself.

I really don't care how you carry - just be responsible and safe.

Yata hey

I do agree, GS, and based on that I can counter the fallacies of CC Mini14 posted with fallacies of OC

CC vs OC
1) you handgun could snag inside your jacket vs a badguy can grab your gun.
2) your handgun could snag in a boot holster vs you're the first target in an armed robbery.

Just as people who open carry hate the fallacies posted about their means of carry, the feelings are mutual.

I can count, on one hand, the number of times I have open carried. Concealed is how I roll. Why should one group be offended at the other, yet make just as ignorant statements in the same breath? But, we're all in this together and, much like you said GS, be responsable and safe :cool:

VAopencarry

imported post

catass, The thread was posted in a topic area titled Why Open Carry? The OP was stating 'why'.

If you don't like the notion of people espousing the benefits of OC vs CC, then DON'T VISIT A FORUM DEDICATED TO FRIKKIN OPEN CARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CC and OC both have possible pros and cons. A thinking person who has a concealed carry license, will weigh the pros and cons in each situation and make a decision as to which is more appropriate for him/her. I do not think that either is appropriate or preferable in every situation.

Catass, what you probably haven't seen on the forum is that about 75% of us have concealed carry permits/licenses according to previous polls on the forum. Of the 25% who don't, a significant portion cannot obtain a concealed carry permit/license for various reasons, most commonly age, ie being to young to obtain one. As those number make obvious, very few people out of our 8,000+ members are anti-CC or adverse to CC when appropriate.

Eeyore

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
CC and OC both have possible pros and cons. A thinking person who has a concealed carry license, will weigh the pros and cons in each situation and make a decision as to which is more appropriate for him/her. I do not think that either is appropriate or preferable in every situation.
+1

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver forgot to mention those of us who refuse to obtain permission for something we have a fundamental right to do.

I will CC the day I don't have to get permission to do so. :banghead:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
deepdiver forgot to mention those of us who refuse to obtain permission for something we have a fundamental right to do.

I will CC the day I don't have to get permission to do so. :banghead:
I didn't forget about you guys. Even made sure to have a category for you in the poll this thread motivated me to post. I didn't address it in my above post and actually excluded you guys intentionally by adding "who has a concealed carry license" so I didn't muddy my point. I respect the conviction. As a practical matter, being that I live in an "ambiguous OC state" and live in a city with an no-OC ordinance, I had to obtain a CC license to carry through 95% of my life.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I didn't see the poll until after I read this thread, for whatever reason.

But fair enough, you did give us a category. :) Seems there's about 5% of us.

protector84

imported post

One of the main things I don't like about concealed carry is that I feel like I am always having to worry about how concealed it actually is. With open carry, I do have to be very aware of my surroundings including anyone who is behind me that I cannot see. I'd rather just have it open in the first place than have to worry about the gun accidently becoming half visible when the wind blows or I bend over to pick up dropped keys. Not to mention the issue of printing or if you put it in your pocket like I often do if I must conceal it or feel it is absolutely necessary is whether or not the shirt is long enough to cover the outline of a gun that may show through the jeans. Or perhaps worrying about placing the gun in a bag and other things in your pocket to distort the shape so no one will notice. Again with simple IWB you still need a shirt long and loose enough that you don't have to worry about accidental exposure. I've always believed that the simpler something is, the more effective it is likely to be. With open carry, all you do is simply wear it and thus you don't have to fool with all this nonsense.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mini14 wrote:
Q-ships were Britain's WWI answer to surface German U-boat attacks; the Q-ship would wait until the U-boat surfaced then frantically ran to bring hiddendeck guns into play. Since the Germans already were manningtheir guns, Q-ships were often sunk; there's no faster draw than an already drawn gun.

Concealed carry is too complicated for mytastes, you handgun could snag inside your jacket; your handgun could snag in a boot holster. Open carry issimpler and better. The less complex somerhing is, the less liable it is to fail. Why be a Q-ship when you be a U-boat?

I think you have used the Q-ships vs U-boatsas a poor analogy, or comparison, to OC vs CC.

When a WWII sub surfaced, it's deck gun WAS NOT already drawn and ready to fire. The gunnery crew had to come topside after the deck was above the warteline. They had to pull the plug from the barrel, and bring ordinance from below to load into the gun. They had to bring the gun to bare on the target, often using handcranks, before they could fire. IF the sub was "rolling" any, they had to wait for the sub to come to neutral list to fire, or else they would over/under shoot their target.

While the sub crew was doing all of this, the gunnery crews of the Q-ship would be readying their own guns. They had to uncover their guns, load them, and bring them to bear, often in the same manner that the U-baot crew, with hand cranks. The Q-ships gunnery crew also had to deal with ship "roll" while firing.

So what you had here, in a U-baot vs Q-ship engagement, was partly a fast draw gun fight at sea. But it didn't really matter who drew faster as much as it came down to who could shoot straighter after the guns were drawn. Q-boats didn't fair well in these gun fights due to the difference in vessel profiles. Asurface vessels profile is larger than that of a surfaced submarine, which meant that the Q-ship was the bigger target and easier to hit.

There's also the fact that the surfacing sub had to be ID'd as friend or foe before it was fired on, too.

Naval gunships have their guns openly displayed (OC). Ever hear of a sub trying to take on one by surfacing and using it's deck guns? No. They stayed below the surface and used torpeodes. If the subs ran into multiple ships (DD/DE)baring guns (OC) they stayed below surface and tried to get away without detection.

There are pros and cons to both OC and CC. Either way you do it, you may find yourself wishing your were carrying the other way, if you find yourself in a sticky situation.