• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns & Ammo - Firearm Safety Course

richarcm

imported post

For those who are interested I just finished the firearm safety course at Guns & Ammo in Manassas. I bought my 1911 from there and decided I'd take the class there as well. They seem to be more then friendly and helpful.

Mark (not sure of his last name) was the instructor. He was a very entertaining guy and a great person to learn from. It was also very interesting to discover that his mom was the person who invented the field sobriety test and testified in the Rodney King hearings. That was pretty cool.

Anyways, if anyone is interested it was $80, took 4 hours and goes towards getting your concealed weapons permit. Now I feel like I need to take a more advanced course. There is so much I need to learn!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm I've got more than a few years on you and I've never stopped learning and training and practicing. So much ammo and so little time and/or money.:D

Congratulations on a good start!

Yata hey

nova

imported post

I was looking into taking that same course there. I assume there is no range-time?

I still need to call them and ask for more info since it is a decent drive (but no further than some of the OC dinners I've attended :) )

richarcm

imported post

nova wrote:
I was looking into taking that same course there. I assume there is no range-time?

I still need to call them and ask for more info since it is a decent drive (but no further than some of the OC dinners I've attended :) )
No range time. It is all classroom theory. Its a nice drive. I enjoy driving through Manassas and having pickup trucks around me for a change. Reminds me of home. I get tired of seeing all those BMWs and Priuses!!

It was a good class but definitely only skimmed the very top layer of everything that I should know.

nova

imported post

richarcm wrote:
nova wrote:

No range time. It is all classroom theory. Its a nice drive. I enjoy driving through Manassas and having pickup trucks around me for a change. Reminds me of home. I get tired of seeing all those BMWs and Priuses!!

It was a good class but definitely only skimmed the very top layer of everything that I should know.

Thanks for the info! Manassas isn't such a bad drive...I just hate to see my gas gauge noticably move after I get home from the drive in my pickup :D

Actually I had planned on taking the course with my mother since she's been hinting towardswanting her CHP soon.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bought one of my guns in there and stop in occasionally for my non-range ammo. They are always very friendly. From what I've seen so far their prices have been lower than other shops, too.

possumboy

imported post

My wife was in that class. She said it would be easy to know who she was, two out of the three women in the class were sitting beside their husbands.

She enjoyed it and learned a lot. She had handled a gun twice before this class.