Thread: It finally happened ....

Post imported post

I have been open carrying on my job for about a year and a half now with no problems. Yesterday I think somoene called the cops about me, while I was doing my route a patrol car showed up and followed my van for 3-4 blocks and watched me for about 10 mins.

The officer did not stop me or make contact, I know he saw my weapon as he was behind my van as I was returning to it strong side facing the street.

I am in Portland. Nice to know there are some cops in Portland that know the law and don't harrass open carriers.

Post imported post

jamesb3002 wrote:
    I have been open carrying on my job for about a year and a half now with no problems. Yesterday I think somoene called the cops about me, while I was doing my route a patrol car showed up and followed my van for 3-4 blocks and watched me for about 10 mins.

The officer did not stop me or make contact, I know he saw my weapon as he was behind my van as I was returning to it strong side facing the street.

I am in Portland. Nice to know there are some cops in Portland that know the law and don't harrass open carriers.

Lonnie has done a great job in Washington and Oregon. The problem is that I don't think a lot of people in Oregon open carry. Most CCW holders are from the portland area. Many instructors in the area have been telling people for years that open carry is generally illegal. This is where the problem lies.

Post imported post

When I took my class, the instructor never brought up open carry in the law portion of the class. I asked him afterwards and he says he never brings it up unless someone asks about it. And that's only been a handful of times.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

GlockPDX wrote:
    When I took my class, the instructor never brought up open carry in the law portion of the class. I asked him afterwards and he says he never brings it up unless someone asks about it. And that's only been a handful of times.
    I brought it up and kept rubutting everything the instructor said until finally he said he just wants to drop it and move on.

Post imported post

The problem is that I don't think a lot of people in Oregon open carry.
    Hey! I do! I am on the East side though. I may be the only one over here that does...

Back on topic - It is good to hear that they didn't hassle you about it though. I haven't had an LEO encounters yet either.

I asked about it in the class I took too, and the instructor said something along the lines of "sure it's legal, but you will end up dealing with the police all the time if you do it". Happy to say - that's not the case.