• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wright Park 2 Aug 08

LongRider

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
A combination of two or more of the above.
Thats probably the answer. Not at all saying you did anything off at all, well within your rights. I've known TPD to be umm less than professional but this instance did not seem like that sitting here at the computer. Sounded like a social call ie checking you out see who you are about and what you are about. Not like Wright park is the nicest area in Tacky town a chance to get one on your (our) side but as I said I could be off base. I know there are a couple of PD that the sight of increases my blood presure others I ride with. I prefer the latter.

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I would suspect the office did not have any neferious plans other than he could say he contacted you and all was good. By writing the info in his book, he would have proof they could verify. The reason I think this is that even though you refuse to give the info requested, they just let you go with out further comment or action. Compared to some of the LEO contacts it wasn't bad at all.
That was my take but it is hard to tell having not been there.

deanf

imported post

The Officer would likely have ran the name, found that Mainsail was an upstanding person

Running a name in a field contact situation doesn't go very far in establishing "upstanding." Status of driver's license, presence of any no-contact/protection orders, presence of outstanding arrest warrants, and status of Department of Corrections supervision is what an officer in a field contact situation gets.

There could be plenty of criminal history that is not reported in this situation.

Johnny Law

imported post

deanf wrote:
The Officer would likely have ran the name, found that Mainsail was an upstanding person

Running a name in a field contact situation doesn't go very far in establishing "upstanding." Status of driver's license, presence of any no-contact/protection orders, presence of outstanding arrest warrants, and status of Department of Corrections supervision is what an officer in a field contact situation gets.

There could be plenty of criminal history that is not reported in this situation.
True, but there aremultipleother systems that can be checked by simply placing a name into it. I use these other systems every day, and if there were any criminal history,that and a plethora of other info will show up.

Oh yeah, you forgot convicted felon status.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
The Officer would likely have ran the name, found that Mainsail was an upstanding person, and then if someone in the park (or elsewhere) had called in amwag call, the Officer could ward off/cancel a unit being dispatched to check on him.
I guessing that you didn’t read my entire post and I apologize for its verbosity. I have had the police called before in that very park only a few weeks before and they didn’t come. If a call came in after I had (or hadn’t) given the officer my name it’s unlikely they would come – unless – the caller reported something that would have made the MWAG call criminal, in which case they would come whether they had my name or not. So in the end it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Additionally, if the call was just an innocuous MWAG call, the caller wouldn’t know my name so the officer wouldn’t have anything to compare the name in his notebook to. I asked if I was being detained, he said no. Except for his cryptic warning, that was the end of the encounter. I was pleased with the officer’s attitude and demeanor, but very disappointed at the lack of concern for my son when I told him about that incident. He acted as though I was taking him off track.

Now, the way he worded the warning made me wonder. He said that if I had contact with someone in the park it could generate a priority response. What the hell does that mean? I was riding my bike, not handing out pamphlets, what kind of ‘contact’ was he referring to?

I don’t feel any obligation whatsoever to provide my name to the police when they don’t really need it. I know that some here would happily give them a name or show CPL or DL, but it’s not required or useful in my opinion.
But you attitude is the issue. Just because one cop didn't do his job, respond to you son's assault, doesn't mean another isn't and cooperating with those "good cops" that are doing their job correctly is in our favor and makes us friends. Snub them enough times and they are like anyone else, they start looking for ways to screw around with you. OC people need to be friendly, cooperative and show that we have nothing to hide. That's with cops and the general public.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
But you attitude is the issue. Just because one cop didn't do his job, respond to you son's assault, doesn't mean another isn't and cooperating with those "good cops" that are doing their job correctly is in our favor and makes us friends. Snub them enough times and they are like anyone else, they start looking for ways to screw around with you. OC people need to be friendly, cooperative and show that we have nothing to hide. That's with cops and the general public.
+1

Triple Tap

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
deanf wrote:

True, but there aremultipleother systems that can be checked by simply placing a name into it. I use these other systems every day, and if there were any criminal history,that and a plethora of other info will show up.

Oh yeah, you forgot convicted felon status.
Plethora of other information, sounds like a Police State to me.

Johnny Law

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
The Officer would likely have ran the name, found that Mainsail was an upstanding person, and then if someone in the park (or elsewhere) had called in amwag call, the Officer could ward off/cancel a unit being dispatched to check on him.
I guessing that you didn’t read my entire post and I apologize for its verbosity. I have had the police called before in that very park only a few weeks before and they didn’t come. If a call came in after I had (or hadn’t) given the officer my name it’s unlikely they would come – unless – the caller reported something that would have made the MWAG call criminal, in which case they would come whether they had my name or not. So in the end it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Additionally, if the call was just an innocuous MWAG call, the caller wouldn’t know my name so the officer wouldn’t have anything to compare the name in his notebook to. I asked if I was being detained, he said no. Except for his cryptic warning, that was the end of the encounter. I was pleased with the officer’s attitude and demeanor, but very disappointed at the lack of concern for my son when I told him about that incident. He acted as though I was taking him off track.

Now, the way he worded the warning made me wonder. He said that if I had contact with someone in the park it could generate a priority response. What the hell does that mean? I was riding my bike, not handing out pamphlets, what kind of ‘contact’ was he referring to?

I don’t feel any obligation whatsoever to provide my name to the police when they don’t really need it. I know that some here would happily give them a name or show CPL or DL, but it’s not required or useful in my opinion.

The connection that your name makes is this; The next person calling in the mwag complaint will describe your clothing, and the Original Officer may well recognize your description. Having already checked your name, he knows you are not a "problem child" (have no warrants, blah blah) and knows that this call does not need to be dispatched on.

I would think that his cryptic warning was referring to the next potential mwag caller, who (as we know some do) may well embellish their story, making it seem worse than it really is.

You must also remember that this was probably not the Officer who took the report on your son, and if not, he would likely know nothing of the event. Police deal with one incident at a time, and a prior unrelated incident has no real connection to the fact that they were talking to you now about oc. If he was insensitive, then that is unfortunate.

Once an Officer generates a report, it then goes to Detectives who conduct the remainder of the investigation, so asking a street cop why nothing has been done on a caseis pointless, as he will have no further info.

Mainsail

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
But you attitude is the issue. Just because one cop didn't do his job, respond to you son's assault, doesn't mean another isn't and cooperating with those "good cops" that are doing their job correctly is in our favor and makes us friends. Snub them enough times and they are like anyone else, they start looking for ways to screw around with you.

You’re not understanding this. I wasn’t upset or angry that they didn’t respond to the call, I was pointing out the absurdity of his assertion that a lawful behavior (OC) could generate a priority response when an unlawful one (the assault) did not. My attitude was friendly and cooperative.

OC people need to be friendly…
I always am.
cooperative
I was cooperative, and will always be so. After all, I like the police.
and show that we have nothing to hide.
I don’t have anything to hide. I will not, as a policy, prove my status as a lawful firearms owner repeatedly for each and every officer on the TPD. I’ve had two OC encounters with Olsen alone, so ‘knowing my name’ obviously makes little difference.

Mainsail

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
The connection that your name makes is this; The next person calling in the mwag complaint will describe your clothing, and the Original Officer may well recognize your description. Having already checked your name, he knows you are not a "problem child" (have no warrants, blah blah) and knows that this call does not need to be dispatched on.

Thanks for the inside input JL, that sounds reasonable. I still don't see how my name on the pad in his pocket adds to that, he obviously had my description. There needs to be two sets of information to make it useful, the info provided by the caller and the info the officer already has, right? A caller will have my description but 99.999999% of the time will not know my name. The officer will have my description so my name is superfluous.

I would think that his cryptic warning was referring to the next potential mwag caller, who (as we know some do) may well embellish their story, making it seem worse than it really is.
If the story is embellished enough to make the actions criminal, they will have to respond regardless of whether he has my name or doesn’t have my name.

You must also remember that this was probably not the Officer who took the report on your son, and if not, he would likely know nothing of the event. Police deal with one incident at a time, and a prior unrelated incident has no real connection to the fact that they were talking to you now about oc. If he was insensitive, then that is unfortunate.

Once an Officer generates a report, it then goes to Detectives who conduct the remainder of the investigation, so asking a street cop why nothing has been done on a caseis pointless, as he will have no further info.

Yes, I address that in my last post. I wasn’t criticizing the officer for the lack of response. After all, the dispatcher told me they didn’t have enough officers working to respond to all the calls that were coming in and he wasn’t the one who finally came out.