• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccdw holders database...

J_5

imported post

superdemon wrote:
I don't know what happened to my post, but...

As a police officer, I can tell you that your CCDW weapon info is attached to your Driver's license info when your DL is querried.

When your registration plate is querried, the computer automaticallyquerries the DL of the registered owner of the car, so in a roundabout way, it will come back when the registration is querried.

Again, I am a police officer.

And yes, since that info would be sent by KY to the other states, it would pop up to the officer in the other state.
He's 100% correct..same thing for those from the wrong side of the river, like me, of Ohio :p. People sometimes get a funny look on their face when they state "I have a CHL" and an I reply, I know,thank you.

superdemon

imported post

"CHL"? Concealed Handgun License, I suppose?

In KY, it's a Concealed Deadly Weapon License, which means you can carry all seven of the classified deadly weapons concealed, but you only test on the firearm.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Fnally got the question answered correctly! The Larue County Dispatch System is NOT set up as the state system is and must go through the state system when running tags. I was led to believe otherwise.

CCDW info is NOT passed on at theLOCAL level unless requested. The State Police Officers are automatically given that info as they use their own dispatch system. Even one of the city cops, who dispatches sometimes had not too kind words for the source of my info. I had a disclaimer on that.

Thanks for bearing with me.:D

Oubliette

imported post

For what it’s worth; in the event I get pulled over I’m going to assume they know and hand them both my Drivers License and my CCDW and tell the officer I’m armed. For one thing, the last person I want thinking that I’m evasive, uncooperative, dangerous or belligerent is the cop who is deciding whether or not to write me a costly ticket. And secondly, they put their life on the line doing a job I don’t want, and in most cases do not deserve to be disrespected. So I try to treat them, as I would want to be treated. (Actually I find that approach works well with most people)

But..... it’s just a suggestion.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Oubliette....I do exactly the same. I have also found the cops for the most part appreciate it.

Iam a corrections officer and I still display my DL...CCDW AND Deputy ID at the same time. It doesn't hurt and may actually help.:D

superdemon

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Fnally got the question answered correctly! The Larue County Dispatch System is NOT set up as the state system is and must go through the state system when running tags. I was led to believe otherwise.

CCDW info is NOT passed on at theLOCAL level unless requested. The State Police Officers are automatically given that info as they use their own dispatch system. Even one of the city cops, who dispatches sometimes had not too kind words for the source of my info. I had a disclaimer on that.

Thanks for bearing with me.:D

Kinda, but not quite.

Every police agency has their own dispatch system. What I am talking about is not a dispatch system, it is strictly an information system. The system that has the CCDW info on it is the LINK/NCIC system. Every police agency with a LINK terminal (the actual computer that is used to make the querries) gets the exact same information.

Now, if an agency does not have it's own terminal, then yes, they are dependant on the agency that is making the querry for them for the information.

Again, the information is the same for any agency with a terminal.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Thanks superdemon......Larue County just isn't quite in my "best places" book. The dispatch system, as it is, just isn't the best. It's run from inside the jail. It's considered a poor county to boot.

I was asked to be a dispatcher some time ago and turned it down. Not worth the headaches verses pay although pay isn't really a problem as I am retired.:D

J_5

imported post

superdemon wrote:
"CHL"? Concealed Handgun License, I suppose?

In KY, it's a Concealed Deadly Weapon License, which means you can carry all seven of the classified deadly weapons concealed, but you only test on the firearm.
Concealed Handgun License, correct.

It gets called everything under the sun here in Ohio it seems.CHL, CCW, etc. Most dispatches around my part seem to just call them 'CCW Permits' when advising officers over the radio someone has one.

superdemon

imported post

I think in KY, it was a legislative blunder.

They call it a Concealed Deadly Weapon License, but you only take training and qualify with a handgun.

Because of what it is called, you can carry all of the seven classified deadly weapons in the state.

Honestly, I had expected it to be corrected by now, but it hasn't been.

Oubliette

imported post

Hehe, I’m glad they haven’t “fixed” it. I’m in a trade skill profession an often have tools in my purse that could easily be misconstrued as weapons. So I’m covered. …it’s normal for a woman to have WD40 and a box cutter… right? :D

Screwdriver?

So... does anyone else think "normal" is overrated?

superdemon

imported post

Oubliette wrote:
Hehe, I’m glad they haven’t “fixed” it. I’m in a trade skill profession an often have tools in my purse that could easily be misconstrued as weapons. So I’m covered. …it’s normal for a woman to have WD40 and a box cutter… right? :D

Screwdriver?

So... does anyone else think "normal" is overrated?

No, those items are not covered, as they would be considered "dangerous instruments", not deadly weapons.

Also, in order for it to be considered a dangerous instrument, you have to use it in a way that it was not manufactured for.

For example, using a baseball bat to hit someone in the head. The baseball bat would then become a dangerous instrument.

Deadly weapons in KY:

guns, knives, shurikens, billy club, blackjack, nunchakus, brass knuckles.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't think it was a mistake although I have no proof of that.

MO also has a CCW, concealed carry weapons license, which makes CCW holders exempt from the concealed deadly weapons chapter. The only weapons a CCW license does't allow you to carry in MO are gravity or spring opening knives such as switchblades and balisongs as they were for some reason in a different chapter than the other weapons and that section was not included in the CCW statutes.

hotrod

imported post

superdemon wrote:

They call it a Concealed Deadly Weapon License, but you only take training and qualify with a handgun.

Because of what it is called, you can carry all of the seven classified deadly weapons in the state.

It was not a legislative blunder, the intent is just as it was signed. It was discussed for several days and both bodies believed if you could carry a concealed handgun, why not a switchblade etc.

superdemon

imported post

hotrod wrote:
superdemon wrote:

It was not a legislative blunder, the intent is just as it was signed. It was discussed for several days and both bodies believed if you could carry a concealed handgun, why not a switchblade etc.

Huh. I always thought it was a mistake on their part.

Well, then, in order to completely derail this thread, if you have a KY CCWL, and you go to a state that has only a CHL, and you had a knife concealed, how would that pan out? I would assume you would be liable for charges if that state only allowed for the concealment of hanguns. Or would absolute reciprocity kick in, and you would be ok?

zer0cool

imported post

You would be liable, you may be able to carry in that state but you have to go by the laws of that state. So if its ok in ky and not in bufu idaho but they have a rec. agreement then you can carry what their law states is a deadly weapon or just simply a handgun. I always check state laws when I know I'm going to be crossing a border line. If you have a ky ccdw and you dont check the state laws of the state you are going to be visiting then thats on you.:banghead: Thats why you pay attention in the class you're required to take, they tell you that you have to check on the laws before you carry. I like the ccdw, since I'm not sworn yet and I'm working on a detail I can have by sidearm and my baton under a suit jacket and still be legal. Without that I would be in violation.

superdemon

imported post

zer0cool wrote:
You would be liable, you may be able to carry in that state but you have to go by the laws of that state. So if its ok in ky and not in bufu idaho but they have a rec. agreement then you can carry what their law states is a deadly weapon or just simply a handgun. I always check state laws when I know I'm going to be crossing a border line. If you have a ky ccdw and you dont check the state laws of the state you are going to be visiting then thats on you.:banghead: Thats why you pay attention in the class you're required to take, they tell you that you have to check on the laws before you carry. I like the ccdw, since I'm not sworn yet and I'm working on a detail I can have by sidearm and my baton under a suit jacket and still be legal. Without that I would be in violation.

I didn't have to take a class. Before HR218, there was an exemption for police officers.After HR218, there was no point.

With HR218, and my agencies' concealed carry card/departmental ID, I have let my CCW expire, and don't plan on getting another one.

hotrod

imported post

superdemon wrote:
zer0cool wrote:

I didn't have to take a class. Before HR218, there was an exemption for police officers.After HR218, there was no point.

With HR218, and my agencies' concealed carry card/departmental ID, I have let my CCW expire, and don't plan on getting another one.
i have never been a fan of 218, it makes 2 classes of people. It only gives you the right to carry where a civilian can not, it does not give you jurisdictional authority, and , it hasn't been tested in court for constutitionality, which I think it would fail before the US Supreme Court.

superdemon

imported post

hotrod wrote:
superdemon wrote:
zer0cool wrote:

i have never been a fan of 218, it makes 2 classes of people. It only gives you the right to carry where a civilian can not, it does not give you jurisdictional authority, and , it hasn't been tested in court for constutitionality, which I think it would fail before the US Supreme Court.

All it does is gives those of us who already have been trained inweapons, tactics and law the availability to intervene as a citizen ifwe are out and about. It only codified something that was already going on for decades, anyway.

And Ihardlythink the Supremes would knock it down, especially with their recent DC gun ban decision.

hotrod

imported post

superdemon wrote:
hotrod wrote:
superdemon wrote:
zer0cool wrote:

All it does is gives those of us who already have been trained inweapons, tactics and law the availability to intervene as a citizen ifwe are out and about. It only codified something that was already going on for decades, anyway.

And Ihardlythink the Supremes would knock it down, especially with their recent DC gun ban decision.
Intervene as a civilian in a jurisdiction outside the Commonwealth and see how fast you loose those things you have worked so hard to acquire. That is the exact reason that I think 218 is a terrible law, it percieves to give law enforcement something they do not possess outside of their jurisdiction, power to make lawful arrest. If you make an arrest in Los Angeles using your weapon you will be on the other side of the bars, not for carrying possibly, but for using an arrest authority that you do not possess.