• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccdw holders database...

Jeremiah Johnson

imported post

Inmy ky cc class they mentioned that, in the case of being pulled over in ky, one did not have to immediately inform an officer thatone is carrying concealed and is licensed, for, when one is pulled over by an officer, that said officer would have already enteredone's license plates into his computer and would have been notified thatone indeedpossessa ccdw license. My question is thus: If I were pulled over in a state outside of ky, would the officer be notified by access to this same database through his computer in his patrol car, or wouldthe officerhave absolutely no clue? I do, however, understand that in some other states, I am required to immediately notify an officer that I hold a ccdw license if I am carrying.

TheMrMitch

imported post

The oficer knowing you CCDW in Kentucky is new to me.....but I'll check it out tomorrow at the jail. I haven't paid attention on this when dispatch receives license checks.:question:

IF....it is on record through a call in, it would be the same in any state if called in.

reefteach

imported post

If you are carrying a concealed weapon, or driving in a car whith a loaded handgun, the following states require you to notify law enforcement if stopped for official business:

1.Arkansas
2.Louisiana
3.michigan
4.Nebraska
5.North Carolina
6.Ohio
7.Oklahoma
8.South Carolina
9.Texas
10.Utah

Kentucky is not one of them.

If you go north and cross the river,, you will have to inform "promptly", whatever that means. Most LEOS in ohio have a system called "LEADS" in their vehicles, and I do not know about the reciprocity of info that system shares with bordering state. I do know that an Ohio resident carrying on Florida permit will not show up in the computer system.

TheMrMitch

imported post

OK JJ...The news everyone wants. The site has been down and I sent you a PM, but I suspect others want to know.

No. Your CCDW data is NOT sent to an officer that runs your license tag number. Just possible warrant info.:)this is according to Larue County Dispatcherslocated in the county jail.

zer0cool

imported post

Thats interesting, I'm a volunteer with my local PD here and if I run a plate through the MDT it does come up on the bottom under the address of the registration it sayes ccdw: Yes or No

TheMrMitch

imported post

Zerocool....possibly so and I left a disclaimer of where I got the info....LOL

The chief dispatcher will be in today and I'll call him. Just to double check.:)I doubt it is a county thing.

I called just a moment ago and dispatcher says he is never given CCDW information. This is the Hodgenville...Larue County Jail Dispatcher.:dude:

zer0cool

imported post

Yea thats true I read that :DI just wanted to help out. I thought that was interesting, I thought the whole system was statewide but maybe not. Please let me know what you find out I'm curious.

Oubliette

imported post

For what it’s worth, I asked a KY State Trouper whose daughter knows mine what he would want someone to do in the event of a stop. In other words, should I tell him? He said when they run your license (I’m assuming he meant Drivers license, not license plate) it would be flagged and he would know you had the CCDW.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Probably the question comes up as to who runs the license check. I have been told by my county dispatchers it does NOT come up and I hear from others it DOES come up.

I'll look into this some more. I see no harm in erring on the tell 'em side as they may already know. This is an excellent thread discussion.:cool:

zer0cool

imported post

Yea I agree, I've never had to inform **Knock on wood** but I would if stopped just as a courtesy even if he already knows. Usually if your not real nervous:uhoh: and you just say something like "Officer just so you know I hold a CCDW and I'm armed at this time." Usually it's no big deal unless you get a crusader or a rookie.

Just my feeling

FightingGlock19

imported post

zer0cool wrote:
Yea I agree, I've never had to inform **Knock on wood** but I would if stopped just as a courtesy even if he already knows. Usually if your not real nervous:uhoh: and you just say something like "Officer just so you know I hold a CCDW and I'm armed at this time." Usually it's no big deal unless you get a crusader or a rookie.

Just my feeling

I don't usually bring up the fact I've got a concealed weapon in the vehicle with me. If the officer askes, I politely tell them, "I don't have any illegal weapons in the vehicle."

PFC Helms

imported post

A buddy and I were stopped in Allen County going to scottsville and did not inform the deputy that i had my weapon in the vehicle it was in the glove box where it is perfectly legal without a permit and not having any duty to inform the deputy that it was there I didnt mention it, now as my buddy was asked to step out of the vehicle they stated his license was suspended when actually it wasn't (long story going to refrain from going through it all and stay on point)and was placing him in handcuffs he asked him if there was anything in the vehicle that he needed to know about. he informed the officer that my weapon was in the vehicle which was ok because I nor he wanted to lie the deputy (we had no reason to). the officer then got real panicky and pretty much scared me half to death with the way he reacted... they then gave me a warning that I better disclose the fact that there is a weapon in the vehicle from now on i thought this would be a good place to bring this up

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S

superdemon

imported post

I don't know what happened to my post, but...

As a police officer, I can tell you that your CCDW weapon info is attached to your Driver's license info when your DL is querried.

When your registration plate is querried, the computer automaticallyquerries the DL of the registered owner of the car, so in a roundabout way, it will come back when the registration is querried.

Again, I am a police officer.

And yes, since that info would be sent by KY to the other states, it would pop up to the officer in the other state.

N00blet45

imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
A buddy and I were stopped in Allen County going to scottsville and did not inform the deputy that i had my weapon in the vehicle it was in the glove box where it is perfectly legal without a permit and not having any duty to inform the deputy that it was there I didnt mention it, now as my buddy was asked to step out of the vehicle they stated his license was suspended when actually it wasn't (long story going to refrain from going through it all and stay on point)and was placing him in handcuffs he asked him if there was anything in the vehicle that he needed to know about. he informed the officer that my weapon was in the vehicle which was ok because I nor he wanted to lie the deputy (we had no reason to). the officer then got real panicky and pretty much scared me half to death with the way he reacted... they then gave me a warning that I better disclose the fact that there is a weapon in the vehicle from now on i thought this would be a good place to bring this up

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S
There is no law in Kentucky I know of that says you have to tell the officer you have a firearm. It is really just a courtesy. If you tell the officer at the beginning of the stop that you have a loaded firearm in the vehicle he is less likely to freak out if he finds it during a search.

It is weird though how a firearm in the glove box isn't concealed, yet you and the officer can't see it unless the glove box is open.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I simply MUST now believe the CCDW license info does come up on a license tagrun. However, the Dispatchers at Larue County jail insist it does NOT come up. Hmmmmm?:question:

superdemon

imported post

PFC Helms wrote:

Thanks

Helms, Thomas S

Please tell me how your buddies license wasn't suspended. The information the officer received through his LINK querry is real-time. If the answer comes back suspended, then the license is suspended.

Keep in mind, decade long police officer here.