• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Statistics

tedwitt

imported post

I'm just wondering, what has happened in the states that allow open carry? Has crime risen or dropped off? Does anybody have the statistics for this?

Thanks.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Allow? I'm sorry, but the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does not allow me to do anything. It may prohibit me from doing certain things, but it doesn't have the power or authority to allow me to do anything - I do such of my own free will. That which is not specifically prohibited by law is legal.

Our state's consititution,one ofthe oldest in the country, guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. Based on that right to bear arms, our state supreme court has ruled that open carry is legal throughout the Commonwealth. That being the case, I open carry most of the time. And we don't have to worry about .30-06 signs, or 7.62 signs, or any signs at all except for "No Trespassing" signs - they have no legal standing.

Statistics? Well, seeing as how 44 states do not prohibit open carry, the question becomes how do the remaining 6 compare when it comes to crime rates, and is such relevant? That may be as close as you're going to get to so-called open carry statistics.

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think if you check out the Bureau of Justice (BOJ) statistics through 2005 or 2006, I think you will find your answers. These are the so-called official statistics compiled by the US Department of Justice. I would suggest comparing similar sized cities in OC states to those in Texas first; moreover, I would suggest cross-referencing that data against those states that have an active death penalty corrections system, since recidivism rates for these states are often similar. Finally, check those states with OC that meet this filter but have at least one major city that restricts the purchase and possession of firearm types, as some metropolitan areas try to 'straddle the fence' on the right to bear arms.

I hope this was helpful to you...