• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2nd Leo encounter in 2 days.

DEROS72

imported post

I just had a security guard no less tell m He said he knew opene I had to cover my weapon.At my apts. He said he knew open carry was legal but walking around with it in a holster would constitute alarm if some one said something.Damn I didn,t have a pamphlet on me at the time.What else ,for you more experienced guys would demonstrate that even if someone complained having a weapon properly holstered does not constitute alarm...?

Bear 45/70

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I just had a security guard no less tell m He said he knew opene I had to cover my weapon.At my apts. He said he knew open carry was legal but walking around with it in a holster would constitute alarm if some one said something.Damn I didn,t have a pamphlet on me at the time.What else ,for you more experienced guys would demonstrate that even if someone complained having a weapon properly holstered does not constitute alarm...?
Pamphlet time. On top of that the courts have said he is wrong as a holstered weapon threatens no one.

"The 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment gives me the right not to worry about your unreasonable fear of guns."

j2l3

imported post

You have security guards working at your apartments? Time to move.... I have worked in security for 34 years and have always felt that if I am going to tell someone something is illegal, I had better be sure first.

DEROS72

imported post

Yep security at these apts.Thank you gentleman I have seen him around before and will advise him accordingly.

DEROS72

imported post

I already printed some and will keep my eyeout for him.I highlighted the apprpriate passages showing that even if someone compalins a properly holstered firearm does not warrant alarm.Me and a buddy went shooting earlier at Champion Arms.(Really busy there ,good to see,AWSOME STAFF) .Stopped at safeway and a couple other places OC and noe one even looked.

Bear 45/70

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I already printed some and will keep my eyeout for him.I highlighted the apprpriate passages showing that even if someone compalins a properly holstered firearm does not warrant alarm.Me and a buddy went shooting earlier at Champion Arms.(Really busy there ,good to see,AWSOME STAFF) .Stopped at safeway and a couple other places OC and noe one even looked.

Also tell him;

"The 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment gives me the right not to worry about your unreasonable fear of guns."

DEROS72

imported post

Precisely Bear....I also just bought a voice recorder and will be recording any further encounters.Of course I gotta figure out how it works.The last recorder I had Had these big reels and long tapes.................................................OLD GUY!

Bear 45/70

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Precisely Bear....I also just bought a voice recorder and will be recording any further encounters.Of course I gotta figure out how it works.The last recorder I had Had these big reels and long tapes.................................................OLD GUY!

hey, I remember those. Brought one home after my first tour. As my T-shirt says:

"OLD GUYS RULE."

joeroket

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Just make sure that they are aware you are recording, unless of course he is an LEO acting in official capacity.

DEROS72

imported post

"This conversation may be recorded for training purposes" Thanks understood.

j2l3

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Security guard? I would look him square in the eye and tell him A)He's wrong and B)He has no authority to tell me anything.
Actually, this is only half true. He is definitely wrong.... however, if he actually works there, he represents the management and does have the authority, as given him by the management. This is a common misconception.

Bear 45/70

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
911Boss wrote:
Security guard? I would look him square in the eye and tell him A)He's wrong and B)He has no authority to tell me anything.
Actually, this is only half true. He is definitely wrong.... however, if he actually works there, he represents the management and does have the authority, as given him by the management. This is a common misconception.
But if he is wrong, he is misrepresenting management which I'm sure is not in his job title.

DEROS72

imported post

I believe he works for a company hired by management.Unmarked crown vic.I think overestimates his authority.I did correct him and he seemed alittle anoyed.Also when I told him of the 2 LEOS yesterday and about the 2 LEOS I have coffee with every so often .That have not said a word about the OC.

j2l3

imported post

unmarked Crown Vic? That's a surprise. Most legit security companies want their names all over their cars..... Oh well, that's what happens when they try to save money by hiring fly by night outfits. A total lack of professionalism from the employees and their company.

DEROS72

imported post

Thats something that un nerves me about these security guards.Lack of training along with anoverblown sense of their authority.He was just probably annoyed because he has to get back to guarding the mall or something.

j2l3

imported post

Yep, training is ALWAYS the part that lacks. Companies scrimp there and provide only the EIGHT hours intially required by the state.