• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle OC

vrwmiller

imported post

Thought it'd be interesting to see how much OC is done by riders...

I OC'd on a, approximately, 70+ mile ride from Stephens City to Woodbridge today.

ETA: Ran into a 7-11 in the Manassas area and a customer made mention of my firearm. Asked if I was LEO or bounty hunter. I explained that I was just a regular guy exercising his rights of self defense. He asked about a permit to which I let him know no permit was required. Obviously surprised, he had to go and tell his wife in another part of the store...

Was a great day!

vtme_grad98

imported post

I never OC on my bike. The primary reason being that I'm far more likely to lay down my bike, and have that firearm on my hip complicate the injuries, than I am to actually need to use that firearm while I'm on it. So it generally sits locked in my top case while I travel, and gets put back on as soon as I stop.

Granted, the other reason is that it's really hard to OC if you're wearing proper motorcycle safety gear. I put 20,000-30,000 miles a year on my bike. So I'd be a fool to dress in any other way while riding it.

saluney

imported post

I open carry almost always when riding.The only thing i'm concerned about is the holster i now have is not very confortable. Maybe a new one will solve this next birthday.;)

eyesopened

imported post

I carry while riding, but it's CC since I wear a riding jacket everytime I ride. The jacket kind of rides on the holster/gun so it doesn't really fit right that way if I try to OC.

stryth

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Thought it'd be interesting to see how much OC is done by riders...

I OC'd on a, approximately, 70+ mile ride from Stephens City to Woodbridge today.

ETA: Ran into a 7-11 in the Manassas area and a customer made mention of my firearm. Asked if I was LEO or bounty hunter. I explained that I was just a regular guy exercising his rights of self defense. He asked about a permit to which I let him know no permit was required. Obviously surprised, he had to go and tell his wife in another part of the store...

Was a great day!
I don't OC on my bike - I've tried it, but my jacket doesn't fit right with a firearm.

As far as conversations go, I've apparently trained my girlfriend well. A friend of hers was in from out of town and, noticing my 1911, asked if I needed a concealed carry permit. It was priceless watching my girlfriend turn and say "It's not concealed."

vrwmiller

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I carry while riding, but it's CC since I wear a riding jacket everytime I ride. The jacket kind of rides on the holster/gun so it doesn't really fit right that way if I try to OC.
My jacket goes over the holster as well, but not completely.

streetdoc

imported post

I almost always carry on my Bike, depending on the weather, its either on my hip (open)or covered by my jacket in a shoulder holster (a more secure holster).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Only guys who ride:) ?

I usually OC on my Goldwing, with the jacket tucked behind, Virginia-tuck style. That or "indifferently concealed". Spouse indifferently conceals on his Yamaha

We'd be up for a lunch ride on a weekend. We OC'd on our bikes to the VCDL picnic in June, and that was a 300-mile round trip.

kg4bhr

imported post

I always carry on my Ultra Classic.Usually OC weather permitting.

Did 175 miles yesterday.

Started in Woodbridge, through Clifton to Manassas where westopped for lunch at BK at the corner of 28 & Liberia Ave.

Then on to Whitt's where I had one fellow point to my sidearm and ask if it was a 9mm, to which I replied "nope, 45", to which he responded "DAMN :what:".

From there we headed out toHaymarket where we stopped at the Sheetz at55 & 15.

From there we rode through Culpeper and Orangeto Spotsylvania where we stoppedat another friends house to hang out for a whileand then rodeback up 95to Woodbridge.

mrguppy

imported post

somthing i always wondered. i m looking into gettinga bike right now. i have been riding a scooter right now because of the gas prices,( my toy does not get good mpg when i take it out to play :lol:). for me cc is not a option due to age what is the number for the law or a link to the law for oc on bike/scooter.

kg4bhr

imported post

As long as you can lawfully posses a handgun you can OC whether you are walking down the street or riding your scooter or motorcycle.

Written laws only tell you what you may NOT do. If there is no law against it then it is legal.

mrguppy

imported post

kg4bhr wrote:
As long as you can lawfully posses a handgun you can OC whether you are walking down the street or riding your scooter or motorcycle.

Written laws only tell you what you may NOT do. If there is no law against it then it is legal.

yes i can oc. i m over 18 butnot 21. i used to be able to read the law wordfor word, and then i stoped carring for a little bit and am not just gettting back to the board. i just wanted to doulbe quick if there would be a difference between a scooter and a bike

bradco

imported post

I don't ride anymore wife afraid for me, but I just got back from a Virginia Beach weekend and saw someone there riding a Harley OC'ing on Atlantic Street, was it anyone from this site? It was saturday late afternoon.