• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone here seen, own, or have an opinion on the new Ruger LCP?

Charlotte_resident

imported post

This seems to be one nice little compact gun designed to be a slightly higher quality piece than the Kel-Tecs of similar size, though I've heard no complaints about the Kel-Tecs. List is $330. Has anyone owned, shot, or handled this gun as of yet? Check it out at their web site www.ruger.com

RedRuger

imported post

I just bought one and haven't fired it yet. My initial impressions are that it is has the usual quality Ruger feel, is smaller and lighter than the Bersa .380 cc, has a long trigger pull, no protruding controls to catch on your clothing, visible but recessed hammer spur that you can not touch, small unobtrusive slide lock lever, pulling the slide back on an empty magazine will not lock the slide open, requires a small screwdriver or pocket knife to remove the retaining pin to field strip it, and minimal sights like the Bersa .380 cc.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Charlotte_resident wrote:
This seems to be one nice little compact gun designed to be a slightly higher quality piece than the Kel-Tecs of similar size, though I've heard no complaints about the Kel-Tecs. List is $330. Has anyone owned, shot, or handled this gun as of yet? Check it out at their web site http://www.ruger.com
I have handled the LCP at thegun shopquite a lot, taking the time to compare it to the Kel-TecP3AT. The former is nothing more than a clone of the latter. Is one better than the other? Not to any defining degree. It is very much a matter of personal opinion.

I like the P3AT over the LCP because the P3AT has a lighter trigger pull, no "manual-only slide lock" to get in the way (less moving parts=better), and it's slightly smaller and lighter over all.

I also think it's important to support the company that actually designed the gun from scratch, instead of copyingsomeone else'sdesign and calling it "innovation" :?.

ballydoctor

imported post

YA I BOUGHT ONE AND NEVER GOT THE OPPURTUNITY TO FIRE IT BECAUSE WHEN I WENT TO LOAD A ROUND IN THE PIPE THE SLIDE DOESN'T SEAT BACK PROPERLY AND BECAME A HUGE CONCERN AND I CALLED RUGER AND SENT IT THERE AND STILL THERE

AND THE CUSTOMER IS THE WORST SO IF YOU WANT HEADACHE FEEL FREE TO BUY ONE. I NEVER FIRED THE GUN AND THEY SHOULD JUST SEND ME A NEW ONE BUT NO THEY HAVE TO PISS ME OFF

hp-hobo

imported post

We purchased what was probably the first LCP in the state for my wife inmid April. Since then she has putover 1,500 rounds through it with zero problems except one crappy box of Aguila ammo.

It's extremely snappy so the first mod made to it was the installation of a Hogue Jr. Problem solved. Then we added a pocket clip made for a Kel-Tec P3AT for carry around our property. Fits great. Finally a DeSantis Trickster was added for concealed carry. No print.

Overall I'd say she's 100% satified with it. Goes bang every time the trigger is pulled, easy to maintain, not too expensive (we got it well below list, before they became the new hottest thing) and easy to carry. If we could change one thing it's be a larger magazine capacity... But that would make it bigger.

We give it two thumbs up.

100_4037-1.jpg

Statesman

imported post

I was very disappointed with my purchase of the Ruger LCP. Upon dry firing about 5 times, the trigger mechanism bulged the right side out, and refused to cock the hammer back fully, allowing it to drop. :cuss: If I put my finger on the side where the bulge occurs, and squeeze, I can fire it.

I never got to test fire my LCP, and I've been waiting weeks to get it repaired at Ruger. I have to disagree with a previous poster about customer service. I've heard nothing but good things about their CS, and I've been told they stand behind their products. This is a new product, so there is bound to be some flaws. My gun dealership said Bill Ruger must be rolling over in his grave with these quality problems they've been having recently (SR9 recall), now this.

A message to Ruger: These recalls & quality issues do not make you look good. You should consider hiring a Six Sigma Quality Analyst, or consultant. I can't believe these issues are slipping past quality control.

I'm patiently waiting to receive my LCP back.

Statesman

imported post

I disagree. Standing behind your product means addressing defects and concerns raised by customers. Every company makes mistakes, but Ruger needs to get their quality issues under control, before their product leaves the warehouse. Customers are not forgiving of defective products, especially firearms.

It's my understanding there's no basis for a lawsuit, since Kel-Tec did not patent the design.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I went to 3 different stores today, looking for one to check out. I was told at all 3 that they just can't keep them in stock. One guy said that if I put $100 down they'd let me know when they got another shipment (2 - 3 weeks).

I DID check out the Kel-Tec .32 though, which appears to be identical except for the slide release on the LCP. It felt good and I can definitely see me getting one as a BUG.

Statesman

imported post

ballydoctor wrote:
i am not going to fight with you when the gun jams or misfires in an emergency and your dead then it will be so late. These guns has a barrel issue with a lot of the ammo used in 380 cal
Who is fighting? Do you have evidence of your claim, or a recall of Ruger LCPs due to jams or misfires? Which barrel issue are you referring to? I have not heard of these to date.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

A jam can happen with any gun, even the best.

Being a (serious) Christian, ifa particular and usually most reliable gun *I* count on happens to malfunction precisely the very instantI need it, I'dconsider it an "Act of God" and it's my time to check out.

No big deal.

-- John D.

hp-hobo

imported post

Statesman wrote:
hp-hobo,

Where did you get the clip and the grip addition from?

The pocket clip is for a Kel-Tec P3AT that I picked up on eBay for almost nothing. The holster is a DeSantis Trickster that I won in a Saturday Night Special postal shooting match (no that doesn't mean shooting postal workers with SNS's).

On a side note, it's a shame to see this thread degraded by the immature and argumentive actions of one person. If you have nothing useful to add to the thread, how about just shoving off. People like you are poster children for the anti's to use against us. :banghead:

Statesman

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Statesman wrote:
hp-hobo,

Where did you get the clip and the grip addition from?

The pocket clip is for a Kel-Tec P3AT that I picked up on eBay for almost nothing.  The holster is a DeSantis Trickster that I won in a Saturday Night Special postal shooting match (no that doesn't mean shooting postal workers with SNS's).

On a side note, it's a shame to see this thread degraded by the immature and argumentive actions of one person.  If you have nothing useful to add to the thread, how about just shoving off.  People like you are poster children for the anti's to use against us.  :banghead:

Actually, I wanted to know where you got the grip thingy also.