• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotted a Unicorn!

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So I'm camping with my Geocaching group in Spokane, and realize.... OMG... no one brought any Scotch! So I get out the GPS and search for the closest Liquor store. It routes me to this store downtown (There had to be an easier one to go to), and just as I'm pulling into the Parking lot, I see someone coming out of the store openly carrying a gun on his hip. Unfortunatly I was not fast enough to flag them down and say hi! There was a second person nearby walking in the same direction with a Fanny pack that just screamed gun.

So, not to be unsociable, I go in and buy my Scotch and a bottle of rum openly carrying my XD45. I do have to say... the attitude to open carry is a lot different on this side of the state!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
There was a second person nearby walking in the same direction  with a Fanny pack that just screamed gun.

LOL

I get a huge kick asking off duty police officers (they have 'the look', if you know what I mean) what they have, when pointing to their bulging fanny pack.. The usual answer is 'stuff' or 'things' or some dismissive answer, then ask them 'no, I mean , what caliber?'... Then they start checking the zippers and whatnot to see if it's open....

It 'backfired' on me one time though, as I had just got done some training and then went to work, one of my first customers asked ME what I shoot, heh, apparently my hand fell into a relaxed 'natural' shooting grip, bottom three fingers slightly curled with index finger extended.. HAH! We went over 'clues' to indicate someone was carrying, and it was actually quite informative... All on company time ;)

Working retail gives you those little opportunities...

just_a_car

imported post

Yeah, TW, I've noticed myself going into that 'natural' hand position when walking and I'm CC'ing.

Thing is, I highly doubt anyone but another shooter would really notice.

3/325

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I wonder how tuned in BGs are to those little signals.
I don't think they're really "tuned in" to CCers. They're busy looking for obvious signs of LE: Short haircut, clean shave or conservative mustache, physically fit, confident posture, alert eyes, absence of visible tattoos/piercings, etc. The majority of LE jobs require you to cultivate an authoritative presence out of necessity. It's hard to completely shut that down when you're off duty.

just_a_car

imported post

3/325 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I don't think they're really "tuned in" to CCers. They're busy looking for obvious signs of LE: Short haircut, clean shave or conservative mustache, physically fit, confident posture, alert eyes, absence of visible tattoos/piercings, etc. The majority of LE jobs require you to cultivate an authoritative presence out of necessity. It's hard to completely shut that down when you're off duty.
Hrm... this could by why I overhear people say "maybe he's a cop" every so often around me. I keep my hair conservative and I've had a lot of martial arts training (not that my physical fitness is up to par), but that also gives a person alert eyes and confidence that usually says "I'm paying attention, don't try anything."

Bear 45/70

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
3/325 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I don't think they're really "tuned in" to CCers. They're busy looking for obvious signs of LE: ... physically fit.... alert eyes ... .
:uhoh: Really? Where the hell do you live?

:p
He lives out in the stick across Puget Sound from Seattle, but not quite out so far asme. Hell, even I know on sight half the bad guys in the county. I know for a fact the bgs are stupid. The local Shelton drug cop has busted about 50 of them multiple times and they will still do undercover buys with him.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
SNIP So I get out the GPS and search for the closest Liquor store.
There is just something about needing a GPS to find the liquor store that cracks me up. :D

As in, "If you need a GPS to find the liquor store, you don't need any liquor."

kenshin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
Wait, you can carry in a liquor store? o_O
Yeah. It is not fully off limits to a person under 21, as minors are allowed with parents present.

What?!?!? I've been disarming before going into the liquor store. Had no idea we could carry there.

Are there any case rulings on this or just interpretation of the RCW's?

joeroket

imported post

kenshin wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:
Wait, you can carry in a liquor store? o_O
Yeah. It is not fully off limits to a person under 21, as minors are allowed with parents present.

What?!?!? I've been disarming before going into the liquor store. Had no idea we could carry there.

Are there any case rulings on this or just interpretation of the RCW's?
I have not seen any case ruling on it but because they allow minors into the liquor store it can not possibly be off limits to person under 21.