• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ft. Lee range re-opens

doug23838

imported post

The POW (Privately Owned Weapons) range at Ft. Lee has re-opened after a mult-year closure.

The range is open on SUNDAY only at this time from 10am - 4pm. Last shooter permitted on the range at 3pm. No one under 10 yrs old permitted at any time. Range operates 10 minutes "hot", then 5 minutes "cold". During "cold" time, firearms must be unloaded and on the table. You cannot touch the firearm during range "cold" time. Shooting from a draw is not permitted. (They didn't say so, but I'm doubtful that malfunction drills, or reload drills would be permitted.) The range permits pistol, shotgun, and rimfire rifle at this time. Larger bore rifle may be opened later with range to 300m. Range fee is $5, they sell targets, rent hearing protection.

You must receive the range safety briefing and sign a waiver.

Access to the range is at the intersection of River Rd. and Puddledock Rd. 1/4 mile north of Temple Ave. Obey the 25mph speed limit. I got stopped once for 27 in a 25 on Ft. Lee. Yep. That's what the MP said: "27 in a 25"

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.261348,-77.341304&spn=0.012023,0.018668&t=h&z=16

From the map above. Take River Rd. north, 20 yards cross RR tracks, 1/4 mile turn right, go through gate and all the way to the end is the POW range.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I used to visit my father at work on a certain Air Force base he would always caution me to watch my speed carefully because security would ticket for as little as 2 mph over. I made the point to him that the national engineering standard for speedometers in vehicles was +/- 3mph. He suggested that in that case, I drive 3 mph under the speed limit.;)

mpg9999

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
When I used to visit my father at work on a certain Air Force base he would always caution me to watch my speed carefully because security would ticket for as little as 2 mph over. I made the point to him that the national engineering standard for speedometers in vehicles was +/- 3mph. He suggested that in that case, I drive 3 mph under the speed limit.;)

Fortunatly Cosine error works in your favor, plus it gives youa really good defense in court depending on the officers testimony :).

SFDoc

imported post

That's good news for me:celebrate, the range is almost in my backyard. If Mike is still running the range, NO drills of any type are allowed. Mike is/was superstrict on all shooters following their safety rules and would not think twice about sending you packing if you screw up.

Glock27Bill

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
Yep. That's what the MP said: "27 in a 25"

Well Doug, that is speeding.... :)

Actually, my neighbor was pulledfor the same thing in Vienna.

While in the middle of the conversation, he got another call and let her go.

Would have been interesting, with she and her husband being lawyers and all.

mercutio545

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
The POW (Privately Owned Weapons) range at Ft. Lee has re-opened after a mult-year closure.

The range is open on SUNDAY only at this time from 10am - 4pm. Last shooter permitted on the range at 3pm. No one under 10 yrs old permitted at any time. Range operates 10 minutes "hot", then 5 minutes "cold". During "cold" time, firearms must be unloaded and on the table. You cannot touch the firearm during range "cold" time. Shooting from a draw is not permitted. (They didn't say so, but I'm doubtful that malfunction drills, or reload drills would be permitted.) The range permits pistol, shotgun, and rimfire rifle at this time. Larger bore rifle may be opened later with range to 300m. Range fee is $5, they sell targets, rent hearing protection.

You must receive the range safety briefing and sign a waiver.

Access to the range is at the intersection of River Rd. and Puddledock Rd. 1/4 mile north of Temple Ave. Obey the 25mph speed limit. I got stopped once for 27 in a 25 on Ft. Lee. Yep. That's what the MP said: "27 in a 25"

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.261348,-77.341304&spn=0.012023,0.018668&t=h&z=16

From the map above. Take River Rd. north, 20 yards cross RR tracks, 1/4 mile turn right, go through gate and all the way to the end is the POW range.
Good stuff. Dominion is great, but I'm too poor of a college kid to be dropping 90 bucks every time I go there on fees and ammo. They also do not allow rifles (well... at least anything over 1800fps).

I'm assuming you can bring your own ammo and targets to the range (so the only fee is the range fee)? Also, how would I go about finding out when they start allowing rifles?

Also, if I have a friend who does not have a military ID, can he come too?

SFDoc

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I'm assuming you can bring your own ammo and targets to the range (so the only fee is the range fee)? Also, how would I go about finding out when they start allowing rifles?

The last time I went there,it's been some timeback, you could use your own ammo and targets. They use to have some ammo for sale if needed,but don't remember what the cost was.

The range master should be able to tell you if and when they will be set up for rifles when you have your safety briefing. Make sure that your arms (unloaded)and ammo are stored separate before you drive through the gate. They use to allow you to have arms and ammo in the trunk if they were in separate containers, but that was for the road leading to the range only. I don't know what the SOP is for going on the main post. No military ID is needed for the range.

Fort Lee'sMPs, DOD cops, Prince George and Hopewell PD have overlapping authority on River Rd. I've seen all 4 with people pulled over, so take your time as you drive through.

doug23838

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:

Well... the best way to find out when they open up for high power rifle, is to go periodically and shoot your pistol. Talk to the range master and express interest in it. The more interest, the better chance of it opening.

No military ID required to shoot on the POW range. If your friend is age 10 or over, he can come shoot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

This is at the original location as it was before it closed, is it not? :exclaim:

Appreciate the update.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

Wow. I love my free-access, no-fee range more a little more every day.

Until some jacka:cuss::cuss: puts another hole in the overhead. :X

KBCraig

imported post

For those of you who might not have been aware of it:

10 USC §4309. Rifle ranges: availability for use by members and civilians
(a) Ranges Available.— All rifle ranges constructed in whole or in part with funds provided by the United States may be used by members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms.
(b) Military Ranges.—
(1) In the case of a rifle range referred to in subsection (a) that is located on a military installation, the Secretary concerned may establish reasonable fees for the use by civilians of that rifle range to cover the material and supply costs incurred by the armed forces to make that rifle range available to civilians.
(2) Fees collected pursuant to paragraph (1) in connection with the use of a rifle range shall be credited to the appropriation available for the operation and maintenance of that rifle range and shall be available for the operation and maintenance of that rifle range.
(3) Use of a rifle range referred to in paragraph (1) by civilians may not interfere with the use of the range by members of the armed forces.
(c) Regulations.— Regulations to carry out this section with respect to a rifle range shall be prescribed, subject to the approval of the Secretary concerned, by the authorities controlling the rifle range.

(Note the phrase "constructed in whole or in parts with funds provided by the United States". Lots of police, prison, etc., ranges are constructed at least partly with federal grants, meaning they must allow access.)