Thread: CHP Certification Classes

Post imported post

Hello everyone. Tonight I've been tossing around the idea of getting my Maine and NH non-res permits, since at this time, that's all I CAN get unfortunately, being 19 currently.

So, after finding out that any certification that satisfies an applicant's home-state permit requirements will be accepted by Maine, I'm now looking for info on classes in NOVA that are available. When I get the Maine permit, I can use it to get the NH permit.

Right now I sent an email to Guns & Ammo Warehouse for more info. I know that Gilberts in Lorton is booked until Sept.

So, everyone who knows anything about CHP classes in NOVA, please post!

Thanks.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hey NOVA -

I know you arleady are "trained" and are just looking to get your ticket punched.. You can take a calss online that satisfy's the Virginia requirement for $40.00. Face to face is always better.. but I have sent this to others that either lost ther certificate, etc.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/lev46501

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    hey NOVA -

I know you arleady are "trained" and are just looking to get your ticket punched.. You can take a calss online that satisfy's the Virginia requirement for $40.00. Face to face is always better.. but I have sent this to others that either lost ther certificate, etc.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/lev46501

Ed
    Thanks for the link! I remember hearing about that site but forgot the name. Bookmarked now!

Post imported post

Gilberts does have cancellation spots for their classes, call them up and see how they handle the spots that open up. Last I heard is just show up the day of the class and if someone is a no-show, then you're in. Virginia Arms also has classes. I was shooting at The Range in Stafford and some guys were signing up for a class there (http://indoorrange.com/)

Pourshot also does classes.

Post imported post

Thanks for posting! Having more options is always a good thing. Actually when I was shooting at gilberts last week, I asked about that. They said that since they have to register people so far in advance, some people forget and don't show up, so if that's the case they will let you take their place.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

We have a Basic Firearms Safety class in Richmond on the 15th, if thats not too far.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

That's a little far but thanks!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    That's a little far but thanks!
    No problem, happy to help if I can.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You can use a hunters education course approved by the Virginia Department of Games and Inland Fisheries for a Virginia CHP. See § 18.2-308 G 1. If I'm reading your initial post correctly, that will work for the Maine permit.

You can search for said safety classes on the VA DGIF website. Maybe there's a convenient class you can attend.
    ---

Post imported post

The Range in Stafford does the classes on Tuesday nights. $40. Good class. Online seems easier tho

Post imported post

Piedmont NRA Instructors has a basic pistol class almost every month:

http://www.piedmontnrainstructors.org/index.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Post imported post

Check out Northern Virginia Tactical. It's run by Tommy, who used to work at Loudoun guns in Leesburg, where a couple of the instructors still work. The classes are held up off of Rte. 15.

Post imported post

I know someonewho tookPourshot's class and was extremely happy with the instruction.
    Nova youcan probably catch him at the next VCDL meeting or send him a PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thanks for the info Agent19

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    I know someonewho tookPourshot's class and was extremely happy with the instruction.
    Or better yet, leaveBruce a voice mail at 703-229-1712. Mind you this is voice mail only, he will call you once he checks the voice mail box. His business email is 4permits at gmail.com. Replace at with @.

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    Or better yet, leaveBruce a voice mail at 703-229-1712. Mind you this is voice mail only, he will call you once he checks the voice mail box. His business email is 4permits at gmail.com. Replace at with @.
    Forgot who Pourshot was on this forum before but just remembered. I just got an email back from G&A tonight so I'll talk it over with my mother who has also shown interest in getting certified and getting her VA CHP.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    I took his course when Shooter's was still around. It was a great class and you could tell Bruce was very passionate about the subject. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. I still want to do his UTAH class, but my schedule has been pretty crazy the last few months.

Post imported post

Thanks everyone. I'm going to call G&A tomorrow to reserve a few spots (family also wants to go).

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    So, everyone who knows anything about CHP classes in NOVA, please post!
    Stafford August 23rd 10 - 5

4permits@gmail.com

:celebrate

Post imported post

Blue Ridge arsenal in Chantilly has a CCW class a couple times a month depending on enrollment
    http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/

Post imported post

tom perroni has a ccw class in fredericksburg thatll satisfy the requirements. Just beware the dudes an idiot.

Post imported post

DGIF volunteers do hunter educations courses about every weekend from now until hunting season. They're free, and they meet the requirements. Of course, it's two full days...

http://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/ClassS...ing&text=t
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

Thanks everyone for the help! I called G&A in Manassas and signed up for Aug. 17.

Pourshot you're at the top of my list for when I'm able to get a Utah non-res!