• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP Certification Classes

nova

imported post

Hello everyone. Tonight I've been tossing around the idea of getting my Maine and NH non-res permits, since at this time, that's all I CAN get unfortunately, being 19 currently.

So, after finding out that any certification that satisfies an applicant's home-state permit requirements will be accepted by Maine, I'm now looking for info on classes in NOVA that are available. When I get the Maine permit, I can use it to get the NH permit.

Right now I sent an email to Guns & Ammo Warehouse for more info. I know that Gilberts in Lorton is booked until Sept.

So, everyone who knows anything about CHP classes in NOVA, please post!

Thanks.

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
hey NOVA -

I know you arleady are "trained" and are just looking to get your ticket punched.. You can take a calss online that satisfy's the Virginia requirement for $40.00. Face to face is always better.. but I have sent this to others that either lost ther certificate, etc.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/lev46501

Ed
Thanks for the link! I remember hearing about that site but forgot the name. Bookmarked now!

eyesopened

imported post

Gilberts does have cancellation spots for their classes, call them up and see how they handle the spots that open up. Last I heard is just show up the day of the class and if someone is a no-show, then you're in. Virginia Arms also has classes. I was shooting at The Range in Stafford and some guys were signing up for a class there (http://indoorrange.com/)

Pourshot also does classes.

nova

imported post

Thanks for posting! Having more options is always a good thing. Actually when I was shooting at gilberts last week, I asked about that. They said that since they have to register people so far in advance, some people forget and don't show up, so if that's the case they will let you take their place.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You can use a hunters education course approved by the Virginia Department of Games and Inland Fisheries for a Virginia CHP. See § 18.2-308 G 1. If I'm reading your initial post correctly, that will work for the Maine permit.

You can search for said safety classes on the VA DGIF website. Maybe there's a convenient class you can attend.

alnitak

imported post

Check out Northern Virginia Tactical. It's run by Tommy, who used to work at Loudoun guns in Leesburg, where a couple of the instructors still work. The classes are held up off of Rte. 15.

Marco

imported post

I know someonewho tookPourshot's class and was extremely happy with the instruction.
Nova youcan probably catch him at the next VCDL meeting or send him a PM.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I know someonewho tookPourshot's class and was extremely happy with the instruction.
Or better yet, leaveBruce a voice mail at 703-229-1712. Mind you this is voice mail only, he will call you once he checks the voice mail box. His business email is 4permits at gmail.com. Replace at with @.

nova

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Or better yet, leaveBruce a voice mail at 703-229-1712. Mind you this is voice mail only, he will call you once he checks the voice mail box. His business email is 4permits at gmail.com. Replace at with @.
Forgot who Pourshot was on this forum before but just remembered. I just got an email back from G&A tonight so I'll talk it over with my mother who has also shown interest in getting certified and getting her VA CHP.

eyesopened

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I took his course when Shooter's was still around. It was a great class and you could tell Bruce was very passionate about the subject. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. I still want to do his UTAH class, but my schedule has been pretty crazy the last few months.

nova

imported post

Thanks everyone. I'm going to call G&A tomorrow to reserve a few spots (family also wants to go).