Thread: odd question for open carry or even ccw

Post imported post

in michigan anything under 30 inches is concider a pistol foldign stocks dont count twards that.. there for... tecnacly it would be leagal right?... i know its kinda an odd question but damn.. i love the "bad guys gun" the ak-47 and this entertaind me a bit thinking this could be possable.. yah know.. trying to turn those goofy liberal laws to help us... hahah

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Yes, it would be legal as far as it being classified as a pistol but I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND CARRYING ONE AS A PISTOL.

Post imported post

The Open Carry of long arms, while legal (many places) is discouraged and probably does more harm to our mission than good.

Post imported post

I don't suggest carrying a long gun for general defense. You have 2 big problems, the first is retention, the second is over penetration.

A smaller problem is that the AG opinion we have on our side mentions holsters, and it's harder to holster an AK. You could argue in court if neccessary that a sling is the same thing, but it's har to say how well that would work.

Then there is the debateable idea that it's not the image we are trying to give people, since regular handguns are a lot less in your faceish. In AZ I've litterally seen it, but in Michigan people would be thrown off by it.

Even bearing all that in mind, I suggest doing it if you've thought long and hard about it, and still want to. Just make sure you're doing so in a responsible and legal manner.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

oh id probly never do it honostly i just had to know if tecnacly it was realy possable yah the penitration would be way to much way to risky thats like useing a shotgun with spread shot or soemthing =P

Post imported post

Kenshinx2 wrote:
    in michigan anything under 30 inches is concider a pistol foldign stocks dont count twards that.. there for... tecnacly it would be leagal right?... i know its kinda an odd question but damn.. i love the "bad guys gun" the ak-47 and this entertaind me a bit thinking this could be possable.. yah know.. trying to turn those goofy liberal laws to help us... hahah

Per MSP: (Just to add)

3. Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General's opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess.MCL 750.224dThere is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector's item not likely to be used as a weapon.

The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.

ETA: #6280

Post imported post

About that MSP quote, they forgot to add that AOW's are Michigan legal.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.