• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

odd question for open carry or even ccw

Kenshinx2

imported post

in michigan anything under 30 inches is concider a pistol foldign stocks dont count twards that.. there for... tecnacly it would be leagal right?... i know its kinda an odd question but damn.. i love the "bad guys gun" the ak-47 and this entertaind me a bit thinking this could be possable.. yah know.. trying to turn those goofy liberal laws to help us... hahah

Michigander

imported post

I don't suggest carrying a long gun for general defense. You have 2 big problems, the first is retention, the second is over penetration.

A smaller problem is that the AG opinion we have on our side mentions holsters, and it's harder to holster an AK. You could argue in court if neccessary that a sling is the same thing, but it's har to say how well that would work.

Then there is the debateable idea that it's not the image we are trying to give people, since regular handguns are a lot less in your faceish. In AZ I've litterally seen it, but in Michigan people would be thrown off by it.

Even bearing all that in mind, I suggest doing it if you've thought long and hard about it, and still want to. Just make sure you're doing so in a responsible and legal manner.

Kenshinx2

imported post

oh id probly never do it honostly i just had to know if tecnacly it was realy possable yah the penitration would be way to much way to risky thats like useing a shotgun with spread shot or soemthing =P

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Kenshinx2 wrote:
in michigan anything under 30 inches is concider a pistol foldign stocks dont count twards that.. there for... tecnacly it would be leagal right?... i know its kinda an odd question but damn.. i love the "bad guys gun" the ak-47 and this entertaind me a bit thinking this could be possable.. yah know.. trying to turn those goofy liberal laws to help us... hahah

Per MSP: (Just to add)

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]3. Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.222[/font] Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General's opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. [font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224d[/font] There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector's item not likely to be used as a weapon.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.[/font]

ETA: #6280