• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rules and Regs of NM

snoball

imported post

Here is a start:

New Mexico[/b] references[/b]

NM Department of Public Safety:[/b]

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/index.php

Firearm/CCW Laws:[/b] NM Statutes 30-7-1 thru 30-7-16 = http://law.justia.com/newmexico/codes/nmrc/jd_ch30art7-c459.html

State Gun Laws:[/b] http://gunshowonthenet.com/State_Gun_Laws/New Mexico.pdf

Deadly Force Laws:[/b] NM Statutes 14-5170 thru 14-5191

Constitution of the State of New Mexico[/b]

Sec. 6. (Right to bear arms)

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. (As amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986.)

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon. [/b]

A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:

1. in the person’s residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;
  2. in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property;[/b]
  3. by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [29-7-1 NMSA 1978];
  4. by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [29-7-1 NMSA 1978];
  5. by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is employed on a temporary basis by that agency and who has successfully completed a course of firearms instruction prescribed by the New Mexico law enforcement academy or provided by a certified firearms instructor who is employed on a permanent basis by a law enforcement agency; or
  6. by a person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978].

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

30-7-2.1. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on school premises.

A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on school premises consists of carrying a deadly weapon on school premises except by:

(1) a peace officer;

(2) school security personnel;

(3) a student, instructor or other school-authorized personnel engaged in army, navy, marine corps or air force reserve officer training corps programs or state-authorized hunter safety training instruction;

(4) a person conducting or participating in a school-approved program, class or other activity involving the carrying of a deadly weapon; or

(5) a person older than nineteen years of age on school premises in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property.

B. As used in this section, "school premises" means:

(1) the buildings and grounds, including playgrounds, playing fields and parking areas and any school bus of any public elementary, secondary, junior high or high school in or on which school or school-related activities are being operated under the supervision of a local school board; or

(2) any other public buildings or grounds, including playing fields and parking areas that are not public school property, in or on which public school-related and sanctioned activities are being performed.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on school premises is guilty of a fourth degree felony.

Nitrox314

imported post

So, the down and dirty is that open carry is legal with the pistol loaded or unloaded, and you can conceal an unloaded weapon without a permit, but if you conceal a loaded weapon you must have a permit? So, can I carry concealed and keep my clip on the otherside of my belt or pocket? I have a holster, but not one I like to open carry with. I am still waiting on a Serpa CQC for the P99.

NMGlock26

imported post

Yes, You may carry concealed andunloaded. You CAN NOT carry into any business that sells alcohol for on or offpremises consumption. Loaded or unloaded, open carry or concealedit is off limits. It is a 4th degree felony to carry a firearm into any business that sells alcohol. The only exception is concealed carry, with a CHL and must sell for off premises consumption only. This statue isreal hassle due to the severity of the charge of a 4th degree felony.Pleaseread NM statue 30-7-3. Be careful