• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman arrested for gun threat near airport Oshkosh, WI TheNorthWestern.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080804/OSH0101/80803079/1987

A 52-year-old Oshkosh woman was arrested Sunday afternoon near Wittman Regional Airport for wielding a gun and making threats.

She did not fire any shots, but scared some people away from the airport by threatening to shoot people if they came on her property, said Lt. John Zimmerman of the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department.

The woman is a resident near the east side of the grounds, Zimmerman said. She said she had felt threatened and said she was receiving some kind of information that made her nervous.

So, she grabbed her rifle and patrolled her property near the airport, he said.

The woman was arrested for disorderly conduct with a weapon penalty enhancer and is in the Winnebago County Jail.

DC w/ 'weapons enhancer' for open carrying on her own property.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

She DIDN'T shoot, and she's in jail.

The apparently off duty LEO on the other thread shoots twice, and he ISN'T?

Wel need to get information to her and her attorney, I think there would be a good case of discrimination here.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
She DIDN'T shoot, and she's in jail.

The apparently off duty LEO on the other thread shoots twice, and he ISN'T?

Wel need to get information to her and her attorney, I think there would be a good case of discrimination here.
No, but the story says that she threatened to shoot people. If that's true, then I would agree with a disorderly conduct charge.

If she merely stood in her yard in a nonthreatening manner, then her arrest would have been another matter. But armed or unarmed, you cannot simply stand in your yard threaten to shoot people and not expect a d/o/c charge.

Discrimination? On what grounds? Because a DA in another jurisdiction handled a dissimilar case in a dissimilar manner? Good luck with that.

smithman

imported post

She was wrong to threaten people. Not smart.

If I was OCing at the store and telling everybody I saw that if they touched me I would cap them, I would expect to be arrested.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I don't have much sympathy for, or wish to defend people who are charged with a weapons-related offense if they weren't acting in a responsible manner at the time. They've done a disservice to "the cause" and to those who exercise their rights responsibly.

I would have advised the initial poster to leave off the final bold sentence. Because it's misleading to say she was given a "weapons enhancer" for open carry. I believe the more accurate statement would be to say she engaged in disorderly conduct (i.e., threatened people) and because she did it while armed she drew the weapons enhancer add-on. I don't believe her location at the time is relevant.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree, a threat of violence needs to be met with a citation.

Which posses a greater threat to public safety, threatening lethal force, or shooting (actually discharging) at light poles "because I feel like it?"

Where did those rounds come down? If he missed, where did they go?

I guess in my view, discharging a weapon "because I felt like it" is a MUCH GREATER threat to public safety. If discharging doesn't even result in jail overnight, why should the other?

S.E.WI

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
I agree, a threat of violence needs to be met with a citation.

Which posses a greater threat to public safety, threatening lethal force, or shooting (actually discharging) at light poles "because I feel like it?"

Where did those rounds come down? If he missed, where did they go?

I guess in my view, discharging a weapon "because I felt like it" is a MUCH GREATER threat to public safety. If discharging doesn't even result in jail overnight, why should the other?
Perfect sense. A stray bullet can kill and a cop should know that or get a pink slip too.