• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What NOT To Do After a Defensive Shooting!

thx997303

imported post

True, but man that reporter, I don't know.

I don't know the facts, but from what I heard, he shot back at someone who was already shooting at him.

Aren't you worried about your kids? YES YOU MORON, that's why I shot back.

The guy is already shooting at me, and he probably isn't going to stop until, a. I'm shot, B. I shoot him. C. he runs out of ammo.

Which would be the safest thing? Shoot him quick.

MORONS.

Nice find there ODA 226

Huck

imported post

Hiredgun30 wrote:
gun owners need to know the 5 W-O-R-D-S

I
Have
nothing
to
say...

then get a lawyer.
Especially true when beingtalkedto bya dumb-ass reporter. After hearingthe questions that one asked and others in other incidents,plus the questions I heardreporters ask at manyfire incidents and accident sites during my carreeryes, they're dumbasses!

ralphb72

imported post

He was open, up front, honest, honorable, straight forward, and he had nothing to hide. Have to admire that. Hope it does not come back to haunt him though.

owensd

imported post

Hmm... he seemed to contradict himself when talking on camera... which was it, he fired at me when you were in front of him or behind him?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

owensd wrote:
Hmm... he seemed to contradict himself when talking on camera... which was it, he fired at me when you were in front of him or behind him?
Another reason not to talk to anyone after a gun fight. Even if you have every intention of being honest, after having all that adrenaline rush through your system, the details and events are going to be fuzzy and the order of events may not be clear in your head.

Anyone who's been in a traumatic event knows that time has a way of slowing down and perceptions of distance and order change. Just coming down off of this adrenaline rush is not the time to try to discuss your story, what actually happened will become clear as time passes and you settle down.

FightingGlock19

imported post

"I would like to speak to my lawyer and would like medical attention."

when you make the 9-1-1 call, "there's been a shooting at _______, I need police and ambulance," then hang the fudge up!!

gravedigger

imported post

That guy babbling on ... he is going to hang himself with all of that nonsense. The last thing I would do is talk to some flunkie reporter from the back seat of a patrol car! LOL! Talk to the press AFTER you are aquitted!

Dustin

imported post

Could have all been avoided if he would have just applied the BRAKES !!!!!! and waited for the guy to drive off.

Moron, he belongs in Jail for endangering his children. :cuss:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Could have all been avoided if he would have just applied the BRAKES !!!!!! and waited for the guy to drive off.

If his story is true, it sounds like the guy passed his road then turned around to come back at him. He also said the other guy shot first, so once bullets started flying the other guy may have had no interest in driving off.

Dustin

imported post

Listen again.

After the altercation started the guy on camera said, "Then I passed him and got in front of him"

This means that he made a desicion to participate in Road Rage with his kids in the car AFTER the altercation started.

He could have avoided the entire thing.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Listen again.

After the altercation started the guy on camera said, "Then I passed him and got in front of him"

This means that he made a desicion to participate in Road Rage with his kids in the car AFTER the altercation started.

He could have avoided the entire thing.
You may be right, though he does seem to get confused quite a bit about who was located where when. I'm not going to go accusing him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's a result of coming down off an adrenaline high after a gunfight. DO NOT TALK TO ANYBODY until you have had time to calm down and talk to your lawyer.

SQLtables

imported post

Dustin wrote:

:banghead: WHAT?!

He was passing a vehicle that was driving slower than him, nothing wrong here. The guy in the van rammed his vehicle, so I assume he wasn't interested in just driving off. I've been in a similar situation, without the guns, and there was no way to get away from the idiot in the other vehicle.

From the confused story I heard form this guy, I think he did the right thing. He obviously waited until the last possible chance to take care of the guy.

Dustin

imported post

@ 30 sec. – He attempts to pass, and the other car attempts to run him off the road.

(At what point does “HIT THE GAS” seem like a good idea ?!?. Maybe hit the breaks and stay away from this idiot.)

@ 35 sec. – He claims that he passed him and is now in front of the vehicle. The vehicle rams the back of his car.

@ 45 sec. Now the story changes ! Now he claims that he passes the guy again ???? and while doing so he see’s the guy pull a silver revolver and fires a shot at him.

(At this point, - If True- He could have once AGAIN applied the brakes and made a turn to get a way from the psycho.)

@ 55 sec. Now supposedly the Guy passed him, and fired a shot. Completely contradictory to what he just said seconds ago.

( AGAIN !!! If the guy is on the side of him, HIT THE BRAKES make a turn, and get the hell out. Plenty of exits in the city he could have taken.)

@ 57 sec. He verifies that “HE WAS BEHIND THE CREEP AT THAT TIME”

(Again, Hit brakes, Drive Away)

@ 60 sec. Now his own guilty conscience get’s the best of him. He starts his statement with an explanation of his action before even saying what his actions were. This is called lying ! A little bit of CYA maneuver. He is also verifying that he is NOW FOLLOWING the other driver. This is also where he reveals that He is now Shooting IN FRONT of him, at the other vehicle. He has now let his ROAD RAGE get the best of him, and is NOW taking matters into his own hands. UNLAWFULLY !

At this time he still has the option of PULLING off the road, stopping, illegal U-Turn, something, ANYTHING to keep his kids safe and get the hell away from the other car.

BUT ! He decided not to. He decided that FOLLOWING this guy is the safest and best thing to do !?!?!?

@ 1:22 sec. He confirms that the other car turned right at the end of the road, on Lake Underwood. THEN HE ALSO takes a right !! Why not take a LEFT !!??! and AGAIN desolve the situation !?!? B/c He is in the WRONG and is letting his ROAD RAGE get the best of him.

@ 2:02 sec. He’s now saying that he was dropping his kids off. Not sure where.

After getting into a GUN FIGHT involving vehicles, in public, on the highway,

PLEASE !! TELL ME !! What makes a person NOT drive straight to the Police Station ?

Now I know we don’t know the entire story, but there is plenty enough holes in his own story. There were NUMEROUS opportunities for him to escape and evade the entire situation. He could have stopped, turned around, Drove straight to the Police Station, The list goes on and on.

No Way No How, do I believe that this man was acting with parental instinct of keeping his children as SAFE as possible.

His rage and adrenaline got the best of him, and his reactions were VERY poor.

Hey if someone threatens my family, and there’s no other way out, you best believe, that the @#$% is about to hit the fan. But to involve yourself more than reasonable in a bad situation like this, we’ll you’ll just reap what you sow.

In the end, he was so pumped up, he just might have screwed himself by talking to the media :?

SQLtables

imported post

I didn't study the clip very much, but didn't he say he turned away from the other guy.. and then the bad guy CAME BACK and turned down his road anyway? If this guy is intent on following me, I don't think I'm going to drive to the police station with my kids in the line of fire in the back seat. Maybe I'm wrong.

Again, who knows, this guy may be lying, or he may just be telling the story the best he can while cuffed in a patrol car after such a traumatic experience. I hope it gets sorted out, but unless this guy fired first, I don't think he did anything legally wrong.

Dustin

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I didn't study the clip very much, but didn't he say he turned away from the other guy.. and then the bad guy CAME BACK and turned down his road anyway? If this guy is intent on following me, I don't think I'm going to drive to the police station with my kids in the line of fire in the back seat. Maybe I'm wrong.

Again, who knows, this guy may be lying, or he may just be telling the story the best he can while cuffed in a patrol car after such a traumatic experience. I hope it gets sorted out, but unless this guy fired first, I don't think he did anything legally wrong.

No your right. Once he turned down some street, the guy did come back.

NOW he has to fight. Whatever happens at this time is of no concern, b/c he'll have to make do with what he can. Did he put himself in the situation is the million $ question. I say he did.

BUT, there were multiple times earlier on, that he could have deluded the whole thing, and Blatantly chose TO CONTINUE ON.

ODA 226

imported post

Dustin wrote:

In the end, he was so pumped up, he just might have screwed himself by talking to the media :?

Exactly Dustin! That's why, speaking as former LE, you should STFU and say NOTHING to ANYONE before speaking to your lawyer.Let him to dothe talking for you. That is what he gets paid to do.

This guy is most likely the victim, but as you so exactly pointed out, a DA or CA WILL USE HIS STATEMENTS AGAINST HIM! This man is most likely going to get reamed in court. Be smart and don't let this happen to you!

mvpel

imported post

I don't envy this guy. I accidentally cut off a biker when on an unfamiliar bridge which lacked an "EXIT ONLY" tag over the "Canal St" lane - when I realized late that my lane was ending, I glanced in the side mirror, put on my blinker, and thought he was far back enough, but apparently not for his taste.

The biker pulled up next to me at the next light and started cussing me out through my closed window. I made "mea culpa" motions and flashed him two fingers in the form of a peace sign, in response to his one-fingered gesture, and fortunately he saved his own life and drove off. I shudder to think how this could have escalated had he been more aggressive.

I credit Mas Ayoob's Judicious Use of Deadly Force class for this guidance. Everyone should take this class, everyone.