• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Consenting to be Abused

Tomahawk

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
People always have a right to say "no". They often do. Are you implying that we should set an even higher bar for LE? That LE cannot even ask for consent? That absent a warrant, even if a motorist pleaded with an officer to search his car, he couldn't?

If they are using intimidation to get consent, than it's not really consent.

Legba

imported post

The "it might take all day for the drug dogs to get here" bit is crap, and they know it. They are allowed to detain you for a "reasonable" period of time in order to issue a citation, if a traffic stop. Even when they do show up with a canine unit, remind the police that the dogs don't have the right to enter the vehicle either. Make a point of rolling up your windows and locking your doors when stopped, if ordered to exit the vehicle.

-ljp

SlackwareRobert

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Good article. Yay for police state America.

He did forget one aspect of this whole thing though. "Probable cause" isn't hard to find. Your simple refusal to consent to the needless search is probable cause enough for 99% of officers in police state America. It goes something like this:

Cop: "Do you mind if I search the vehicle."

Citizen: "I'd rather you not."

Cop: "Why? You have something to hide?"

Citizen: "No, sir."

Cop: "Step out of the vehicle please."
Citizen gave wrong response....

My reply is...."May I see the search warrent?", unless i'm in a very good mood, then its "Do you mind if I search your car also"

The biggest problem now is the
"Do you have any weapons?" question. The government considers
nail clippers a waepon now, so what is the proper response?

I was so looking forward to the "pot airfreshener", darn they didn't start selling it.

When TN was trying to make posession of lottery tickets a crime, I was going to hang
a used one from my rearview mirror. I was going to buy a used ticket so there could be no chance of it being considered a gambling device.

Legba

imported post

The proper response to "do you have any weapons?" is "I respectfully decline to answerany questions."

-ljp

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
SNIP Cop: "Do you mind if I search the vehicle?"

Citizen: "So, that would mean that if I consent to a search thenthere's nothing to hide and no reason for you to search."

This pretty much ought to put that stupid question to bed.

MetalChris

imported post

Citizen wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Citizen: "So, that would mean that if I consent to a search thenthere's nothing to hide and no reason for you to search."

I'd be willing to bet that about 99.9% of cops wouldn't understand.

mp3mogul

imported post

I've actually been asked twice. I told them that I didn't consent to searches. Both times they told me to have a nice night and left.

While I didn't have anything to hide whatsoever, they're not invading my privacy like that.

AbNo

imported post

Citizen wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

:lol: