• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did anyone elses high school have a shooting range?

hsmith

imported post

While I am fairly young (graduated in 2000), up until the mid-70's my high school had an indoor shooting range. My dad was there in the 70's and I think it was on its way out, but my grandfather would remark how he used to take his 22 to school and shoot.

Odd isn't it how much times have changed! We didn't have school shootings back then, yet people were allowed to take firearms to school. (I think there are a lot bigger social issues to the school shooting problem, but certainly i think this plays into it somehow).

Michigander

imported post

Mine did, but wouldn't let anyone use it, despite my intense efforts to start a shooting club.

Some rural schools actually still have ranges, and after school shooting clubs and teams.

XD Owner

imported post

Sarah_and_Jasmine_March_17-18_2007_fs.jpg

I used to go to high school in Anchorage, Alaska and was on the cross country ski team. If I had seen a picture like this I think I would have gotten involved in Junior Biathlon instead. Thispicture is fromKincaid Park in Anchorage which has a biathlon course. I sucked at skiing, but maybe I could have made up points with shooting, or at least meet cute girls who were into shooting. If only I had known!...

I like the bengal tiger stripe pattern on the stock. Pretty cool.

XD Owner

imported post

One more.

Biathlon_Nov._25-26_2006_182_fs.jpg

Maybe the next winter Olympic games they should have Ski Jumping Combined with Target Shooting. That would be something to watch.

bobcat

imported post

The Junior High (Middle School now) that I attended had an indoor shooting and archery range. It wasn't built as that, but the school and instructors commandeered some basement space and set it up. Other than my Father, that's where I learned to shoot both bow and rifle. We used single shot, bolt action rifles .22's with 22 short ammo and shot during Physical Education classes as part of the class and our grade! All equipment was furnished by the school. This was back in the 70's.

We did it each of the three years I was there and to my knowledge had ZERO problems with anyone. Hmmmm. I recall all the students intensely interested in shooting. Attention spans were NO problem. Besides it was a blast! I am, to this day, extremely grateful for those teachers/instructors for having the motivation and interest in teaching me how to shoot. :celebrateSalute.

We did not have a range at the High School. Not sure why. But we did have a shooting club and used a local club's range for that. Rifles as well as pistols. .22LR, no centerfire stuff. Cool beans!

Our local club supports/sponsors an air pistol team that is populated by local High Schoolers. We supply all pistols and match supplies, unless a student wishes to supply their own. Kids and parents love it. And yes, parents are required to be involved on a rotating basis. Good stuff.

Flintlock

imported post

I also went to High School in Anchorage, Alaska and my school has a rifle range on-site. I was on the rifle team for a year and then moved on to other things, but it was fun and interesting at the time. Additionally, ariflery class was offered as a gym elective when I went there and I took it a couple of times over my High School tenurejust to get in some extrashooting.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had and attended the indoor range located in the basement/fallout shelter of my middle school!!! Here is the kicker.... that was in a suburb of Buffalo, NY in the late 80's. Even transported my .22 to and from on the bus.
Times have truly changed for the worse:banghead: and they don't seem to be getting any better.

CrossBow33

imported post

The private boy's (now co-ed) school I attended in '66-'67 in CT had arifle team and indoor range. We used really sweet single-shot .22 bolt-action target rifles with peep sights. I only attended one year and althoughI have always been a good shot, never shot in competition because all the other guys on the team were even better. I never shotwell enough during the week to bump one of the others.

The school still fields a rifle team. Being private, it doesn't have to worry about what the "public" thinks/feels/believes.

Orygunner

imported post

In 1986, when I was in 8th grade,my Middle School in North Bend, Oregon had an "outdoor education class" taught by Mr. D'Amico, a neat little old Italian guy. Taking the course not only qualified us for our Oregon Hunter's Safety card, but we got to shoot actual pellet air rifles in the classroom!

Theclassroom was a double-wide room separated by a sliding partition.On shooting days (a couple of days a week), we would get to use the extremely accurate Daisy Feinwerkbauair riflesowned by the school and put some holes in paper at 50 ft. He pounded safety into us, including the 10 (at that time there was 10!) NRA gun handling rules, and taught us the correct shooting positions, too.The top marksmen each week got their targets postedin the hall for all to see as they walked by the room. (I still have my two best posted targets somewhere in all my stuff). It was a great class, and I learned an incredible amount about shooting, hunting, and fishing from the short time I was there.

I believe the class died when Mr. D'Amico retired a few years later :( .

...Orygunner...

Dave1947

imported post

When i graduated Crawford High in San Diego in 1965 they had a range in the ROTC area,I shot in some competition,22 caliber postal matches, also were allowed to bring our rifles in after school hours. Sgt Maushardt was the ROTC instructor there, great guy and I met him again in Viet Nam, he was a First Sgt of a LPT Company at the same base i was at 9th infantry,Dong Tam.