• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP LEO encounter

jddssc121

imported post

yes i know this is not an open carry encounter, but i was pleased enough to post anyhow:)

So i got in a small fender bender on the freeway (not my fault, i was "merged" into :cry:. I initially wasn't going to call 911 as nobody was hurt; I figured we could exchange info and be on our way. But then the other driver didn't have DL or insurance with them, so I called for a trooper to help get me info. 2 troopers arrived. I was seated in my car. I turn on the interior lights and rolled down my two front windows. Trooper 1 approached my car @ the right passenger window, Trooper 2 went to the other driver. I had my DL and CPL in my hands as the first thing to hand to them.

Trooper 1 : Good evening. Are you ok?

Me: Yes thanks for asking. Before I give you all my car info, I want to give you this first. (hand him my DL and CPL)

Trooper 1: (looks at CPL for 5 seconds, then hands it back.) Where is the firearm?

Me: Left hip.

Trooper1: Ok. Thanks. Please don't try and grab it to show me or anything, and please keep your interior lights on.

Me: of course. no problem. Here is my car reg and insurance.

Trooper 1: walks away from my car and goes to speak to Trooper 2. Says something to the effect of "Concealed Weapon on left hip". He stays and they both continue to talk with the other driver.

Trooper 2: comes to my window - Let's look at the car damage. Where is your weapon? Left hip?

Me: yes.

Trooper 2: Ok. Thanks for telling us.

We review the damage. I get back in my car. the two troopers confer for a moment. Trooper 1 comes back to my passenger side.

Trooper 1: I want to thank you for showing me the CPL. I appreciate it and so does the other trooper. I know you didn't have to, but it is much less stressful for both of us if I find out about it this way. If I would have seen it on my own before you told me, I would have probably held onto it for the remainder of the stop.

Me: I understand. If the situation were reversed, I would appreciate being told as well.

Trooper 1: Thanks for the courtesy. I am going to leave. The other trooper will help you wrap this up. Have a good night.

Trooper 1 leaves. Trooper 2 sticks around for about 15 min, gives me my paperwork and tells me I can go...

All in all, a great encounter. Very polite, never noticed any sarcasm, nasty looks, or anything else that made me uncomfortable.

just_a_car

imported post

Sounds good.

I've found Staters are really good on this stuff for the most part. I had a similar 'encounter' where I was pulled over for speeding (yes, I was :?) and he asked if I had a firearm in the car. I told him yes and where it was. He then told me to please keep my hands visible and asked me how he knew to ask about it and I responded with "Because I have a CPL on record?..." and he said "No, because of the Open Carry pamphlets in your back seat." (Now, my CRX doesn't have a back seat, but that's where they were stashed, behind my seat)

But, he let me off with a warning to slow it down and never disarmed me.

Now, admittedly, we did disagree about Open Carry and ended up agreeing to disagree, but otherwise it was a good stop. I wasn't going to push the OC issue when I was only getting a warning for something I had done. ;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

Yeah, most State Troopers know the law and like he said, if you tell them up front, you don't get it taken away if they see it by accident. Beside a real nervous trooper pointing his gun at me because I didn't tell him I had a CPL and a gun and he saw it is not my idea of a good day. I OC in front of Troopers and other officers all the time in Shelton. They do lunchin Sheltonwhile attending continuing ed. classes at the State Patrol Academy.

fire suppressor

imported post

I have a lot of police friends and this scenario has come up in conversation. Dont quote me on this but I believe one of them told me if you have a CPL it comes up when they run your plates. Not 100% on that but remember someone at some point telling me that. Lol of course all my NRA stickers on my rig is also a bit of a give away

glock23

imported post

I have been givin a hard time by WSP (good to hear it was positive with you) if Im ever pulled over by them again unless they asked I will not notify...One guy ruined it for the rest....

Bear 45/70

imported post

glock23 wrote:
I have been givin a hard time by WSP (good to hear it was positive with you) if Im ever pulled over by them again unless they asked I will not notify...One guy ruined it for the rest....
Have it your way, but if he or his partner see the gun you will be looking down the muzzle of their gun(s). Not my idea of a pleasant day. Why didn't you screw with the trooper back. Nothing like filing a complaint or having his supervisor out to the scene. But of course rather than mess with the one bad cop, you would rather hate all cops. Real mature and adult likeposition to take.

glock23

imported post

Wow way to jump to conculsions! Where in there did I say I hate all cops? I have but respect for the LEO community, but becasue I may choose to not notify them that I'm armed Im some how inmuture.....hmmm

Bear 45/70

imported post

glock23 wrote:
Wow way to jump to conculsions! Where in there did I say I hate all cops? I have but respect for the LEO community, but becasue I may choose to not notify them that I'm armed Im some how inmuture.....hmmm
You plainly don't trust the cop because of a single bad experience that you let slide without trying to correct the officer's error in his way. But now you say you won't tell thecops you have a gun. If everyone had your attitude, there would be no training bulletins in numerous PDs in the state, because everyone would have let it slide changing nothing. Being armed has nothing to do with your immature attitude. Plus doing something that can most definately endanger you isn't very adult either. But hey, it's your life, screw it up anyway you want.

Trigger Dr

imported post

glock23 wrote:
At this point I do not agree with you or Bear (?) But your not notifying that you are carrying, will mess with yourself much more than with them. YMMV

3/325

imported post

I don't expect to take heat from a cop because he happened to have a previous bad experience with a legal gun owner. Likewise, I don't hold all cops responsible for the unprofessional behavior of a few. Cops are people and people generally don't like being surprised by a weapon.

LongRider

imported post

Required by law to inform upon request. I obey the law. The officers attitude determines what I volunteer and what I keep to myself unless asked. IMO WSP are the most professional best trained and politest

joeroket

imported post

LongRider wrote:
Required by law to inform upon request. I obey the law. The officers attitude determines what I volunteer and what I keep to myself unless asked. IMO WSP are the most professional best trained and politest
Where does it say we are required by law to inform upon request?

PT111

imported post

Always find it interesting that some people continously get hassled by police and every experience is a bad encounter. Yet some people never seem to have anything but good encounters with LEO. Often from the same LEO. Maybe a matter of interpretation of what is a good/bad encounter or some people are just unlucky.

Much like every gun store employee that some people encounter are stuck-up snobbish idiots but choose to be very helpful to other people. I just can't figure it out.

jddssc121

imported post

joeroket wrote:
LongRider wrote:
Right at the bottom of your CPL. :p

"...And you must display it upon demand to any police officer..."

you can also find it in RCW 9.41.050

FogRider

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Always find it interesting that some people continously get hassled by police and every experience is a bad encounter. Yet some people never seem to have anything but good encounters with LEO. Often from the same LEO. Maybe a matter of interpretation of what is a good/bad encounter or some people are just unlucky.

Much like every gun store employee that some people encounter are stuck-up snobbish idiots but choose to be very helpful to other people. I just can't figure it out.
Perhaps being nice but completely uncooperative puts cops in a bad mood. I know if parts of my job were made easier by getting a little more information, I'd be fairly annoyed by a refusal to give it. No, you don't have to give every minute detail about yourself, but this "name-rank-serial number" attitude I see a lot around here doesn't seem to actually do anything helpful.

joeroket

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
LongRider wrote:
Right at the bottom of your CPL. :p

"...And you must display it upon demand to any police officer..."

you can also find it in RCW 9.41.050
Uhh that means I have to display my CPL to them if they request it and I am required to have it. It does not mean that I have to inform them that I am carrying a pistol. Personally if they ask I will not lie but it is not illegal to tell them you do not have a pistol when in fact you do because that line of questioning is not pursuant to an investigation, unless of course it is an investigation about a crime being committed with a firearm.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
...................l. Personally if they ask I will not lie but it is not illegal to tell them you do not have a pistol when in fact you do.................................
Not illegal but unwise as if they happen to see your handgun, you will be looking down muzzles(s) in the hands of very nervous cops who will most definitely feel you lied to them by not telling them you were carrying. If I was them (was never a dream for me) that's how I would feel about it.