• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daley doesn't break, but it looks like he's bending a little.

rodbender

imported post

Daley hints he may drop fight to keep handgun ban

August 2, 2008

Recommend (5)

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter/fspielman@suntimes.com
Mayor Daley on Friday cracked the door open to abandoning the costly fight to uphold Chicago's 1982 handgun freeze -- if he can fashion a replacement ordinance that protects the safety of first-responders.

Until now, Daley had promised to defend Chicago's ordinance all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, despite what he called the dangerous precedent set by the court.

RELATED STORIESDaley pushing new gun ban measure Chicago continues to enforce gun ban
On June 26, the Supreme Court overturned a Washington, D.C., handgun ban on grounds that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to possess a handgun in your home for self-defense.

The National Rifle Association then filed lawsuits seeking to overturn handgun bans in Chicago, Morton Grove, Evanston and Oak Park.

Wilmette and Morton Grove preemptively repealed their bans.

Now that both suburbs have thrown in the towel, and newspaper editorials have urged Daley to do the same to save millions in legal costs on a fight he can't win, he appears to be having second thoughts.

At a news conference called to tout the 6,848 guns collected at last week's gun turn-in program, Daley was asked point-blank whether he would continue the legal fight to keep Chicago's handgun ban.

"We don't know yet. ... We're not gonna run away. We're gonna try to figure this out," he said.

Under further questioning, the mayor said city attorneys would simultaneously contest the law and work on a possible replacement.

Chicagoans with guns in their homes might be required to have insurance to protect taxpayers from frivolous lawsuits, he said.

"We're talking about putting first-responders in a very, very delicate position of people being armed without being notified how many guns they have in their homes," Daley said. "We have to be able to fashion a law that truly protects first-responders and protects the citizens."

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
zrukman wrote:
I'm so glad I got out of Chicago and into a state that welcomes handgun carry. Daley's machine is as bad as the mafia.
Heck, didn't they teach the mafia?
I thought they were pretty much the same thing.
533.gif

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I will not hold my breath. Mayor Daley doesn't care about the people in Chicago being victimized by criminals everyday. If he did, he would allow them to protect themselves the same way he is protected when he visits the South-Side. People are tired of being victimized. I just don't understand why they keep voting this bozo into office, but, who am I to ask. I guess when the people of Chicago gets sick of Mayor Daley's song and dance, he will go away, just like victims will go away when the city of Chicago allows individuals to protect themselves with handguns!!!

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I think he will fight it until he gets slapped by the courts. Like DC he will only then comply but will be extremely restrictive and wait for another smackdown.

junglebob

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
I will not hold my breath. Mayor Daley doesn't care about the people in Chicago being victimized by criminals everyday. If he did, he would allow them to protect themselves the same way he is protected when he visits the South-Side. People are tired of being victimized. I just don't understand why they keep voting this bozo into office, but, who am I to ask. I guess when the people of Chicago gets sick of Mayor Daley's song and dance, he will go away, just like victims will go away when the city of Chicago allows individuals to protect themselves with handguns!!!

I ask myself the same question about Chicago people, why do they keep voting him back into office? Of course some of them are dead!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

rodbender wrote:
(1) "On June 26, the Supreme Court overturned a Washington, D.C., handgun ban on grounds that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to possess a handgun in your home for self-defense."

Whoever wrote that is incorrect. The 2A extends FAR beyond that.
In the Heller case, Justice Scalia wrote: “Nowhere else in the Constitution does a ”right“ attributed to ”the people“ refer to anything other than an individual right. What is more, in all six other provisions of the Constitution that mention ”the people,“ the term unambiguously refers to all members of the political community, not an unspecified subset... The Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms... The very text of the Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed’.”
(2)"We're talking about putting first-responders in a very, very delicate position of people being armed without being notified how many guns they have in their homes," Daley said. "We have to be able to fashion a law that truly protects first-responders and protects the citizens."
Daley is lying... an idiot... or both.THE STATE has no business 'knowing' how many weapons are in a private home no more than they have a right to know how many knives are in yer kitchen drawer. Law abiding people tend to remain law abiding people.

There are millions of weapons in 'homes' thruout the nation in 'Open Carry' states not just areas otherwise restricted to CCW... and even more long guns where there are no restrictions whatever. Note that his comments put the State ahead of the Citizens. '...and protects the citizens."

The Citizens have a Right to protect themselves as individuals. The Government... (any government) cannot 'grant' the people their inherent Rights as free people. The government can only recognize, codify and PROTECT those inherent rights. The Constitution is recognition and codification of these rights. Not something GIVEN. No more than the air we breath or thoughts in our heads.

The MSM... the 'talking heads'... all have completly overlooked SCJ Scalia's opinion... which extends far beyond Heller vs DC. It applies to the Constitution of the land. "The Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms... The very text of the Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed’.”

All 'instruments'... not only firearms or handguns in general. ARMS! The 2A never specified 'firearms'. ARMS! Swords, knives, poleaxes... whatever. Bearable arms. The tools of self defense. 'Shall not be infringed." That's self-explanitory.

Feel free to copy this and use it anywhere. I wrote it...

bhughesiii2187

imported post

junglebob wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:

I ask myself the same question about Chicago people, why do they keep voting him back into office? Of course some of them are dead!

99% no one knows that an election for mayor is coming up until a week or so before hand. That leaves little time for an opposing candidate to run against.. And besides Daley's long dead relatives stil vote so.....

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:

I can answer the "Why the keep voting for him"

Who runs against him?

No one has the Ballz to step up and run to replace him.

And that 1982 Muni Change should not have gotten out of the Council....but they were Bent and Mobbed up.