• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memphis shooting range

flyfishbum

imported post

All,
Can anyone give me any info on the ranges in Memphis other than Range USA? I am near the TWRA office so I am try that range out this weekend. I have just had all I can take from Range USA. If anybody shops there I will sell a gift card that has $51.29 on it for $40. I don't think I can be talked back into the store. I can get my ammo from one of the big box stores but I want to find a place to shoot that the targets work.
Thanks

TN_Mike

imported post

catass wrote:
Range Master on Mendenhal Rd. is supposed to be an outstanding range
Range Master is a dump. It is poorly lit, the range is cruddy and the employees are rude.

Top Brass in Millington is a decent place.

But, by far, the nicest range in the Memphis area is RangeUSA on Whitten Road. www.rangeusa.com
Both of the ranges are nice, the employees are very polite and very knowlegeable and there is a restaurant right in the place where you can eat and watch the range.

It is also in amuch safer part of town.

Go there, don't bother with any other place.

flyfishbum

imported post

When was the last time you shoot at Range USA? I was there Friday afternoon and it was hot inside, poorly lit, and some of the carriers did not work. There used to be a group of us that would get our lunch and an hour range time but not anymore. Found a new range but they are not open every day and I don't want to give it away so I will not say where it is.

TN_Mike

imported post

I shot there Saturday, the 16th of August. It is always a little warm in the range in the summer and a bit cool in the winter but that has been my experience at every indoor range I have ever been to. They have to ventilate the stew out of them unless you want to be breathing lead and other harmful substances. And an indoor range of that size is near impossible to air condition effectivly while punping in fresh air.

As for the lighting, it may be less than perfect but it is a damn sight better that Range Master. Their lighting completely sucks.

How many of the lane carriers were down? I know if a cable slips off the pulley or something else during the day, rather than make everyone stop shooting and force a back up and waiting list, they will just put the lane out of service. Sometimes a few break during the day.

I still say, it is the best indoor range in the Memphis area bar none.