Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical Shooting Day

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

There is a practical shooting day being held near Culpeper, at the Cedar Mountain 4H Shooting Sports Club. We attended the last one, and had a great time. As we had never shot such an event, it was a great learning experience.

Info in the flyer.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

The flier says the 30th, which is Sat...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

In message boards and e-mail lists it is sooooo much easier if ya do this (even if the formatting gets screwed up) in addition to posting the actual file or source.:

PRACTICAL HANDGUN SHOOT

SATURDAY AUGUST 30, 2008 10 AM to 4 PM

(Sign up starts at 9:30 – First squad shoots at 10am - last squad shoots at 3pm)

This is a great chance to improve your handgun shooting skills!

$8 first run-thru (4 tactical stages) ~ $2 each additional run-thru
    Paper (IPSC) targets and steel reactive targets (75-100 total rounds)

Lunch is available for purchase at the Pavilion

Participants must have appropriate holster & multiple magazines

Age requirement (must be 21 or older)

Experienced & inexperienced shooters welcome. Instructors available to assist new shooters.

CEDAR MOUNTAIN YOUTHS Inc.

Proceeds go to support youth firearm safety and responsibility programs

Directions: Take Rt 15 (James Madison H’way) south from Culpeper. Turn onto dirt road directly opposite of Rt 657 (General Winder Rd). (Approx. 5 miles from Culpeper / 4/10 mi. north of Piedmont Technical School.)

Look for signs.
    Call 540-854-5547 or 540-543-2070 for further directions or to get more information.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

This kind of event is great for getting new shooters into the sport. IPSC is so much more fun than standard target shooting!

On Saturday night I met a guy who's an avid shooter who had never been to an IPSC match before, and since I was shooting at the US Steel Challenge the next day I invited him along to watch. He left the match the next day before we were done shooting so that he could get an appropriate holster and extra magazines at the gun show before it closed.

Post imported post

Soundsgreat, hopefully I'm available that day.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thanks for posting, I'm going to try to make it to this (hopefully I can find it).

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    The flier says the 30th, which is Sat...
    The 30th is correct. I sent John a PM asking him to fix my mistake.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Bump.

Two weeks away.

I don't think you need to pre-register, but it couldn't hurt to let them know you're coming if you are.

Post imported post

Frick you must be 21 or over

Post imported post

Thanks for the info Tess, but I won't be able to make it. :X
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    In message boards and e-mail lists it is sooooo much easier if ya do this (even if the formatting gets screwed up) in addition to posting the actual file or source.:

PRACTICAL HANDGUN SHOOT

SATURDAY AUGUST 30, 2008 10 AM to 4 PM

(Sign up starts at 9:30 – First squad shoots at 10am - last squad shoots at 3pm)

This is a great chance to improve your handgun shooting skills!

$8 first run-thru (4 tactical stages) ~ $2 each additional run-thru
    Paper (IPSC) targets and steel reactive targets (75-100 total rounds)

Lunch is available for purchase at the Pavilion

Participants must have appropriate holster & multiple magazines

Age requirement (must be 21 or older)

Experienced & inexperienced shooters welcome. Instructors available to assist new shooters.

CEDAR MOUNTAIN YOUTHS Inc.

Proceeds go to support youth firearm safety and responsibility programs

Directions: Take Rt 15 (James Madison H’way) south from Culpeper. Turn onto dirt road directly opposite of Rt 657 (General Winder Rd). (Approx. 5 miles from Culpeper / 4/10 mi. north of Piedmont Technical School.)

Look for signs.
    Call 540-854-5547 or 540-543-2070 for further directions or to get more information.
    Can someone who has done one of these before tell me how many magazines is multiple?

I have 3 mags for my .40 and 2 for my 9mm. I have holsters etc for both. I am thinking I want to shoot the .40 that day, so is 3 mags enough?

Thanks

Paul

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'm in for sure. .40S&W most likely.

chuck

Post imported post

dyver1 wr
    Can someone who has done one of these before tell me how many magazines is multiple?

I have 3 mags for my .40 and 2 for my 9mm. I have holsters etc for both. I am thinking I want to shoot the .40 that day, so is 3 mags enough?

Thanks

Paul
    The longest stage at the last one I shot was 18 rounds. My husband used a 1911 with two extra magazines. I'd worry about only 2 magazines, but I recommend you PM DeadCenter and ask the question.

Here's the kicker. I can't shoot that day. I broke my ankle yesterday. I'm hoping to be able to attend, though.

Post imported post

How does this event work? Are you on your own? Teamed up? Pay as you go? I've never been, but sure am thinking about going to this one.

Thanks

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
    How does this event work? Are you on your own? Teamed up? Pay as you go? I've never been, but sure am thinking about going to this one.

Thanks
    You'll be teamed up with a group, and for each of the four stages you'll shoot in the same order. The group leader will walk you through the stage before it starts, then the group members shoot, one at a time. After each shooter, they'll check the hits on the targets, for score, then prepare the targets for the next shooter. you pay up front for each of the four stages.

This is a practice day. That means they'll walk you through it all. do not worry in the least about being new; this is wher eyou learn. Last month was my first time.

Post imported post

FOLKS, as a courtesy, if you plan to attend, please call the organizers (phone number on the flyer) and let them know. They haven't done this often, and it will help them to plan appropriately for the turnout.

Thanks

Post imported post

UPDATE:

Sign-in starts 9:30 AM. First group off about 10. There will be a break for lunch around 12, and start up again about 1.

So if you can't make the morning, you can come for the afternoon. Or you can shoot only in the morning.

Food will be available for purchase.

It would help if you'd let the organizers know you're coming. Contact info is on the flyer.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thank you Tess for letting us know about this great opporunity.
    It will be a blast!! :celebrate

(bump)

chuck

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

bump

Post imported post

I attended this event today, as did several others who post here.

For Aaron, gotta get a new holster if you are going to do this again.

It was first time shooting at one of these type events and it was great fun.

The Cedar Mountain group runs a great event and the money raised gets poured right back into youth outdoors education and events including shooting. They have a rifle and pistol range, skeet range, archery, air rifle all for the kids ages 10 -18.

I wish to thank the Cedar Mountain RO's for being patient with all of us who had never done this before and for putting on a wonderful event. I for one will be back again to shoot the next times they run these as my schedule allows.

Be careful out there

Paul

Post imported post

I had a great time at the event and will do it again. I didn't get there till lunch time but was lucky enough to grab one of the last three spots. The environment was perfect for first timers (there were quite a few of us there). There was plenty of explanation and flexibility for questions. I just have a few suggestions if you plan to come out.

Bring a truck or a large vehicle or... don't park your honda in the mud. Thanks to TC and the gentlmen that pulled me out!

Bring sunblock/sunglasses and maybe a hat, there isn't a lot of shade along the firing line.

From what I've heard the setup changes every month but this month's event had 4 stages that required at least 18 rounds for each stage so bring plenty of ammo

Post imported post

dyver1 wrote:

The Cedar Mountain group runs a great event and the money raised gets poured right back into youth outdoors education and events including shooting. They have a rifle and pistol range, skeet range, archery, air rifle all for the kids ages 10 -18.

I wish to thank the Cedar Mountain RO's for being patient with all of us who had never done this before and for putting on a wonderful event. I for one will be back again to shoot the next times they run these as my schedule allows.

Be careful out there

Paul
    Ditto. Paul, sorry I didn't meet you ... I was the one with the walking stick and the booted foot.

I truly appreciate the time and effort it took the organizers to get this thing together and to run it every month. Knowing the proceeds go back in to youth shooting is a plus.

Post imported post

My bride and I had a great time.Back to the normalAugust heat though.

Some real nice folks out there. See everyone at the next one.

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    dyver1 wrote:

Be careful out there

Paul
    Ditto. Paul, sorry I didn't meet you ... I was the one with the walking stick and the booted foot.

I truly appreciate the time and effort it took the organizers to get this thing together and to run it every month. Knowing the proceeds go back in to youth shooting is a plus.
    +1 - They were great with us first timers. Thank you Tess for posting this event andit was really nice toget the chance to talk to you and your's.

The boss, Imean the wifeand I are already making plans to attend the next one.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I wish I could have made it. Re-do of the master bath. Thanks Tess for being the point-person. I hope to make the next one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast