• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Practical Shooting Day

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There is a practical shooting day being held near Culpeper, at the Cedar Mountain 4H Shooting Sports Club. We attended the last one, and had a great time. As we had never shot such an event, it was a great learning experience.

Info in the flyer.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

In message boards and e-mail lists it is sooooo much easier if ya do this (even if the formatting gets screwed up) in addition to posting the actual file or source.:

[align=center][/align]
[align=center]PRACTICAL HANDGUN SHOOT[/align]
[align=center]SATURDAY AUGUST 30, 2008 10 AM to 4 PM[/align]
[align=center](Sign up starts at 9:30 – First squad shoots at 10am - last squad shoots at 3pm)[/align]
[align=center]This is a great chance to improve your handgun shooting skills![/align]
[align=center]$8 first run-thru (4 tactical stages) ~ $2 each additional run-thru[/align]Paper (IPSC) targets and steel reactive targets (75-100 total rounds)

Lunch is available for purchase at the Pavilion

Participants must have appropriate holster & multiple magazines

Age requirement (must be 21 or older)

[align=center]Experienced & inexperienced shooters welcome. Instructors available to assist new shooters.[/align]

[align=center]CEDAR MOUNTAIN YOUTHS Inc.[/align]
[align=center]Proceeds go to support youth firearm safety and responsibility programs[/align]
[align=center]Directions: Take Rt 15 (James Madison H’way) south from Culpeper. Turn onto dirt road directly opposite of Rt 657 (General Winder Rd). (Approx. 5 miles from Culpeper / 4/10 mi. north of Piedmont Technical School.)

Look for signs.
Call 540-854-5547 or 540-543-2070 for further directions or to get more information.[/align]

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This kind of event is great for getting new shooters into the sport. IPSC is so much more fun than standard target shooting!

On Saturday night I met a guy who's an avid shooter who had never been to an IPSC match before, and since I was shooting at the US Steel Challenge the next day I invited him along to watch. He left the match the next day before we were done shooting so that he could get an appropriate holster and extra magazines at the gun show before it closed. :lol:

Paragon

imported post

Thanks for posting, I'm going to try to make it to this (hopefully I can find it).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
The flier says the 30th, which is Sat...

The 30th is correct. I sent John a PM asking him to fix my mistake.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bump.

Two weeks away.

I don't think you need to pre-register, but it couldn't hurt to let them know you're coming if you are.

dyver1

imported post

ed wrote:
In message boards and e-mail lists it is sooooo much easier if ya do this (even if the formatting gets screwed up) in addition to posting the actual file or source.:

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]PRACTICAL HANDGUN SHOOT[/align]

[align=center]SATURDAY AUGUST 30, 2008 10 AM to 4 PM[/align]

[align=center](Sign up starts at 9:30 – First squad shoots at 10am - last squad shoots at 3pm)[/align]

[align=center]This is a great chance to improve your handgun shooting skills![/align]

[align=center]$8 first run-thru (4 tactical stages) ~ $2 each additional run-thru[/align]Paper (IPSC) targets and steel reactive targets (75-100 total rounds)

Lunch is available for purchase at the Pavilion

Participants must have appropriate holster & multiple magazines

Age requirement (must be 21 or older)

[align=center]Experienced & inexperienced shooters welcome. Instructors available to assist new shooters.[/align]

[align=center]CEDAR MOUNTAIN YOUTHS Inc.[/align]

[align=center]Proceeds go to support youth firearm safety and responsibility programs[/align]

[align=center]Directions: Take Rt 15 (James Madison H’way) south from Culpeper. Turn onto dirt road directly opposite of Rt 657 (General Winder Rd). (Approx. 5 miles from Culpeper / 4/10 mi. north of Piedmont Technical School.)

Look for signs.
Call 540-854-5547 or 540-543-2070 for further directions or to get more information.[/align]

Can someone who has done one of these before tell me how many magazines is multiple?

I have 3 mags for my .40 and 2 for my 9mm. I have holsters etc for both. I am thinking I want to shoot the .40 that day, so is 3 mags enough?

Thanks

Paul

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dyver1 wr
Can someone who has done one of these before tell me how many magazines is multiple?

I have 3 mags for my .40 and 2 for my 9mm. I have holsters etc for both. I am thinking I want to shoot the .40 that day, so is 3 mags enough?

Thanks

Paul
The longest stage at the last one I shot was 18 rounds. My husband used a 1911 with two extra magazines. I'd worry about only 2 magazines, but I recommend you PM DeadCenter and ask the question.

Here's the kicker. I can't shoot that day. I broke my ankle yesterday. I'm hoping to be able to attend, though.

ORCGUY

imported post

How does this event work? Are you on your own? Teamed up? Pay as you go? I've never been, but sure am thinking about going to this one.

Thanks

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
How does this event work? Are you on your own? Teamed up? Pay as you go? I've never been, but sure am thinking about going to this one.

Thanks
You'll be teamed up with a group, and for each of the four stages you'll shoot in the same order. The group leader will walk you through the stage before it starts, then the group members shoot, one at a time. After each shooter, they'll check the hits on the targets, for score, then prepare the targets for the next shooter. you pay up front for each of the four stages.

This is a practice day. That means they'll walk you through it all. do not worry in the least about being new; this is wher eyou learn. Last month was my first time.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FOLKS, as a courtesy, if you plan to attend, please call the organizers (phone number on the flyer) and let them know. They haven't done this often, and it will help them to plan appropriately for the turnout.

Thanks

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UPDATE:

Sign-in starts 9:30 AM. First group off about 10. There will be a break for lunch around 12, and start up again about 1.

So if you can't make the morning, you can come for the afternoon. Or you can shoot only in the morning.

Food will be available for purchase.

It would help if you'd let the organizers know you're coming. Contact info is on the flyer.

dyver1

imported post

I attended this event today, as did several others who post here.

For Aaron, gotta get a new holster if you are going to do this again. :lol:

It was first time shooting at one of these type events and it was great fun.

The Cedar Mountain group runs a great event and the money raised gets poured right back into youth outdoors education and events including shooting. They have a rifle and pistol range, skeet range, archery, air rifle all for the kids ages 10 -18.

I wish to thank the Cedar Mountain RO's for being patient with all of us who had never done this before and for putting on a wonderful event. I for one will be back again to shoot the next times they run these as my schedule allows.

Be careful out there

Paul