• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Practical Shooting Day

Bundabar

imported post

I had a great time at the event and will do it again. I didn't get there till lunch time but was lucky enough to grab one of the last three spots. The environment was perfect for first timers (there were quite a few of us there). There was plenty of explanation and flexibility for questions. I just have a few suggestions if you plan to come out.

Bring a truck or a large vehicle or... don't park your honda in the mud. Thanks to TC and the gentlmen that pulled me out!;)

Bring sunblock/sunglasses and maybe a hat, there isn't a lot of shade along the firing line.

From what I've heard the setup changes every month but this month's event had 4 stages that required at least 18 rounds for each stage so bring plenty of ammo

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dyver1 wrote:
I attended this event today, as did several others who post here.

For Aaron, gotta get a new holster if you are going to do this again. :lol:

It was first time shooting at one of these type events and it was great fun.

The Cedar Mountain group runs a great event and the money raised gets poured right back into youth outdoors education and events including shooting. They have a rifle and pistol range, skeet range, archery, air rifle all for the kids ages 10 -18.

I wish to thank the Cedar Mountain RO's for being patient with all of us who had never done this before and for putting on a wonderful event. I for one will be back again to shoot the next times they run these as my schedule allows.

Be careful out there

Paul
Ditto. Paul, sorry I didn't meet you ... I was the one with the walking stick and the booted foot.

I truly appreciate the time and effort it took the organizers to get this thing together and to run it every month. Knowing the proceeds go back in to youth shooting is a plus.

cdpmaster

imported post

My bride and I had a great time.Back to the normalAugust heat though.

Some real nice folks out there. See everyone at the next one.

SFDoc

imported post

Tess wrote:
dyver1 wrote:

For Aaron, gotta get a new holster if you are going to do this again. :lol:

It was first time shooting at one of these type events and it was great fun.

The Cedar Mountain group runs a great event and the money raised gets poured right back into youth outdoors education and events including shooting. They have a rifle and pistol range, skeet range, archery, air rifle all for the kids ages 10 -18.

I wish to thank the Cedar Mountain RO's for being patient with all of us who had never done this before and for putting on a wonderful event. I for one will be back again to shoot the next times they run these as my schedule allows.

Be careful out there

Paul
Ditto. Paul, sorry I didn't meet you ... I was the one with the walking stick and the booted foot.

I truly appreciate the time and effort it took the organizers to get this thing together and to run it every month. Knowing the proceeds go back in to youth shooting is a plus.

+1 - They were great with us first timers. Thank you Tess for posting this event andit was really nice toget the chance to talk to you and your's.

The boss, Imean the wifeand I are already making plans to attend the next one.

72Malibu

imported post

Many thanks to all who braved the heat and humidity to come out and shoot! I was the ugly goatee'd guy who signed all of you in. :)

Great bunch of people who came and although I didn't participate in the shooting (I did some scoring for the second round) it was just as fun watching everybody enjoy themselves.

SFDoc

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Many thanks to all who braved the heat and humidity to come out and shoot! I was the ugly goatee'd guy who signed all of you in. :)

Great bunch of people who came and although I didn't participate in the shooting (I did some scoring for the second round) it was just as fun watching everybody enjoy themselves.
NO, THANK YOU and all of the folks that put this event on. This was the first time my wife and I (excluding military training many years ago)ever been to this type of event. The RO (Mike if I remember correctly) did an excellent job of working with my wife, who is still fairly new to shooting and was very nervous.

On behalf of my wife and I, I also want to thank those that were in our group for their patients when we were going through the different stages and their willingness to help. Hopefully, next time we won’t take so long to get through them.

The_Side_of_Good

imported post

Tess, thanks for letting us all know about this event, it was a great time... I participated in practical shoots in Las Vegas years back. Since coming to NoVA, I've been searching for this type of venue in the Culpeper area.

I met a great bunch of fellow shooters and look forward to next month.

Anybody know if the results have been released? I had to leave as soon as I shot my last segment and didn't get to see how I stacked up against some of the more experienced shooters.

dyver1

imported post

The_Side_of_Good wrote:
Tess, thanks for letting us all know about this event, it was a great time... I participated in practical shoots in Las Vegas years back. Since coming to NoVA, I've been searching for this type of venue in the Culpeper area.

I met a great bunch of fellow shooters and look forward to next month.

Anybody know if the results have been released? I had to leave as soon as I shot my last segment and didn't get to see how I stacked up against some of the more experienced shooters.

They told me that they would be e-mailing out the results once they were compiled.

Give them a day or 2 and I imagine we will see them come out.

Be careful out there

Paul

Hereis one of the pics I took with my phone.

Can't seem to be able to upload more than 1.

Next time I will bring my real camera

Neplusultra

imported post

Sorry I missed this... How often do they do it? Shooting paper targets has never been a passion of mine but draw and fire and fire while moving is fun, much more challenging. Which is one reason I never get tired of skeet.

A_Deuce

imported post

For Aaron, gotta get a new holster if you are going to do this again.

Oh, I'm definately planning being there next month. Buying new gear is part of the fun too. Does anybody have brand/model reccommendations for a non-ccw type holster that won't make the RO's nervous?

Thanks everybody for putting on a fun event and being friendly to first-time shooters.

dyver1

imported post

A_Deuce wrote:

Oh, I'm definately planning being there next month. Buying new gear is part of the fun too. Does anybody have brand/model reccommendations for a non-ccw type holster that won't make the RO's nervous?

Thanks everybody for putting on a fun event and being friendly to first-time shooters.

The next show is coming up on Sept 11-13 at the Dulles Expo Center. Good place to get a look at some options.

I know I am going to the show to look for a used Sig as my next gun purchase.

Be careful out there.

Paul

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A_Deuce wrote:

Check out any of the Blackhawk, Fobus or Uncle Mike's polymer holsters. I think they call the material Kydex.

:cool:

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you to the RO's and team members who put on this event. I enjoyed the experience (my first time) and am looking forward to more in the future.

chuck
:cool:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Sorry I missed this... How often do they do it? Shooting paper targets has never been a passion of mine but draw and fire and fire while moving is fun, much more challenging. Which is one reason I never get tired of skeet.

They're trying to do one a month - at least for the next couple of months. Mike told me he's not sure if they'll continue through the winter. Since they go at the end of the month, I wouldn't be surprised to see them skip November and December due to holidays, and perhaps January and February due to weather, but that's just a guess.

The only problem they have is that the range is small. They really have to limit themselves to forty shooters. I know they turned away 3 last week.

If you gave them an e-mail address, you'll get notification of the next one. They'll be asking for responses, and will take the first 40, I guess. If you didn't get on their list (Neplusultra), recommend you PM DeadCenter and ask him to put you on the e-mail list.

cdpmaster

imported post

A suggestion if I may. Bladetech makes very nice holster's for ladies, called the Drop off-set. Work's well as they have hips. It keeps the pistol semi-vertical and not digging into their sides. (yes my bride shoots with one)

Comp-tac makes nice holsters as well. I useComp-tac's locking paddle for IDPA and a Bladetech for USPSA.

Comp-tac is run be very nice folks who support the shooting sports and give sweet-tarts in the package when you buy gear from them. They also make some very nice paddle type mag pouches as well. The plastic holsters are made ofkydex and they all have adjustment screws to adjust tension to your personal taste.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I'm happy to hear the event went well. My wife and I were not able to attend due to the hurricane seasons i'm always on standby when the storms come in. Hopefully we will be able to attend the next one.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Did you all see that VCDL is having a Picnic/Shoot at this location on...

From VCDL Mini-Update, 9/05/2009, 11:20 PM

On Saturday, October 4th from 10 AM to 4 PM VCDL is having a combined picnic and shooting match!
The picnic and match are being held at the Cedar Mountain Youths Inc (affiliated with 4H) in Culpeper.

Sounds great. Hey Tess, did you get Philip spun up on this? Good Show!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Did you all see that VCDL is having a Picnic/Shoot at this location on...

From VCDL Mini-Update, 9/05/2009, 11:20 PM

On Saturday, October 4th from 10 AM to 4 PM VCDL is having a combined picnic and shooting match!
The picnic and match are being held at the Cedar Mountain Youths Inc (affiliated with 4H) in Culpeper.

Sounds great. Hey Tess, did you get Philip spun up on this? Good Show!
Well, I let Philip know about the shoot in July and he showed up. That's when the idea started percolating. So I guess I had some small role in it.

Now that it's official, I need to make sure The Defender is in members' mailboxes in time to let them participate. May not be on this board as much for a week or so as I get it together.