• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Duty to notify LEO's is gone.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

attachment.php

OH SNAP, that is the funniest emoticon Ive ever seen.

Lol - you earned it. :lol:
You never did answer me 9mm, what is your take on LEO asking or needing to know you have a CC?
Well: I don't currently retain a CFP. (Soon though) So i supposed i don't have an opinion from first hand experience. I am trying to draw one up but can see light from both directions, really.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Well: I don't currently retain a CFP. (Soon though) So i supposed i don't have an opinion from first hand experience. I am trying to draw one up but can see light from both directions, really.
I, personally, equate it to a minor inconvenience at most. Doesnt really bother me. Ive never been pulled over while OCing either, so I dont have a first hand experience there . Have you? How did that go?
I consider myself a "Neewb" to the OC/CC world. Currently only exercising my right to OC. Have never been involved in a traffic stop concerning OC. However, i DO take extra precautions to make sure i am not in any violation. I.E. - locking the damn thing up when in a school zone, etc., so that i am not too nervous if i were to have said scenario.

I plan on posting my first OC-involved traffic stop as soon as it happens. i am crossing my fingers for a positive one.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
I, personally, equate it to a minor inconvenience at most. Doesnt really bother me. Ive never been pulled over while OCing either, so I dont have a first hand experience there . Have you? How did that go?
I consider myself a "Neewb" to the OC/CC world. Currently only exercising my right to OC. Have never been involved in a traffic stop concerning OC. However, now that i DO take extra precautions to make sure i am not in any violation. I.E. - locking the damn thing up when in a school zone, etc.

I plan on posting my first OC-involved traffic stop as soon as it happens. i am crossing my fingers for a positive one.
Do you seriously stop your car, get out, lock up your gun, drive through the zone, get out, strap it back on? Holy hell man, in Utah you'd have to do that every 50ft. Does that not just wear on you?
haha - no no no. if i know ic ant find an alternate route to the freeway i will pre-lock the sidearm up. I have actually found specific routes to friends houses and the places i like to frequent. Thankfully, there aren't a ton of school zones up where i live just yet.

BUT - i foresee issues in the future FOR SURE. There about 3 different schools going in this area (new construction here) and i figure thats about when I (we) will be looking for CC permits for the future.

scorpioajr

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
lol - this guy. Glad i could be of SOME assistance! (the emotion...)

...You seem to be very level headed...I think you are an asset to it...
You give me far too much credit. OR this is an excellent example of that song, "I'm so much cooler online" lol, who sings that?

youscareme

Banned
imported post

can someone confirm that its no longer required to notify Starsky or Hutch that you are carrying?

Anyone think its a good Idea anyway?

scorpioajr

imported post

youscareme wrote:
can someone confirm that its no longer required to notify Starsky or Hutch that you are carrying?....
The OP only gave these:

(1) If you research the Utah Administrative Code online (you can run a Google search to see all the different references), the website identifying the "effective" provisions no longer lists R722-300-1 through -17 (example: go to [url]http://www.rules.utah.gov/main[/url] and then go to "Public Safety" section, link to Title 722, and it will give you the rules "As in effect on May 1, 2008," and R722-300-1 et seq. is not among them);

(2) If you go to the Department of Public Safety website (
[url]http://das.utah.gov.main[/url]) and go to Concealed Weapons, then click on Concealed Firearm Law and Rule References (under General Information), and then click on Concealed Firearm Rule (third from the bottom), it then "thinks" for a minute or two and gives you a "File Not Found" screen; and

(3) I have spoken to individuals at DPS and at the Utah Administrative offices, all of whom confirm that the Concealed Firearm Permit Rule, including the Inform Requirement, is not presently in effect.

.....So I'm not sure exactly either. But, I also feel that its not a matter if its a good idea or a bad idea. I think the whole point to all this "America" stuff, is that so long as there is not a law against it: exploit it. No? Am i off in cooky-land? That was a idea (loosely) of our founding fathers. If I (me), enjoy doing A, and You like doing B but hate A. There is (should be) a state that one can live that neither Myself nor You are being infringed of either A nor B; depending on Who is where, of course.

...Did I do that right? I did horrible on my SATs....

LovesHisXD45

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
Well then they know anyways. Instead of playing coy, they should walk up and say "So I see you have a CFP, are you carrying today?"

+1 for this reaction. This is how the officer should handle the situation every time. It should be part of their training.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:
Well then they know anyways. Instead of playing coy, they should walk up and say "So I see you have a CFP, are you carrying today?"
+1 for this reaction. This is how the officer should handle the situation every time. It should be part of their training.
I disagree. Lawful activity should not be any of their business. If I had a fishing license, should they ask me each time I am stopped if I have any fish?

...fishing license. :cuss:

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Well, I'm not so sure it does give them authority to make a notification rule... Mabye it does, but here is the email I sent asking for clarification.

Hi, I noticed that the BCI rules were no longer posted, and
it sparked a question in my mind. BCI has made a rule that
a concealed permit holder must notify a Law Enforcement
Officer that he/she is carrying a concealed weapon. I searc
hed the state law for anything that gives BCI the authority
to make a rule pertaining to firearms, and only found a
section allowing BCI to make rules regarding the administrat
ion of permits, not how a permit holder must act during a
stop. Under Utah Code 53-5-704 section 13, it says: The
commissioner may make rules in accordance with Title 63G,
Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act, necessary to
administer this chapter.

However, nothing indicates that BCI has the authority to
regulate behavior during an encounter with law enforcement.

I am admittedly not a scholar by any means, and even less
so when it comes to legal code, but this seems to be pretty
clear.
Maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing, since I've heard
a rumor that the rules were getting re-worked anyway, but
if not, I'd appreciate some guidance on what authority BCI
acts under making a rule pertaining to firearms.
Thanks,
Jared
Here is the response I got this morning:

>>> Phillip LEIKER 8/6/2008 5:47 PM >>>
Jared,

the rules are being rewritten, so as of now it is recommended that one should advise an officer if stopped.

>>> Jaymee Eaquinto 8/5/2008 6:47 AM >>>

And the one I sent back this morning:

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, the rule is not in effect; so it is not required, but is recommended to notify an officer if stopped?

Will there be a public comment period to review the new rules before they take effect?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is the second response:

>>> Phillip LEIKER 8/7/2008 11:39 AM >>>
Jared,

Yes you under stand it as being recommended & yes there is 30 days for public comment before the rules can go into effect

>>> Jaymee Eaquinto 8/7/2008 10:54 AM >>>

xRapidDavex

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I disagree. Lawful activity should not be any of their business. If I had a fishing license, should they ask me each time I am stopped if I have any fish?

uhhh, maybe if you're sweaty by a lake and smell like bait.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:

The officer CAN NOT know that you have a CFP on initial contact. I believe it is tied to the DL not the CAR TAG. So, unless the LEO has YOUR DL number memorized he won't have the CFP info when he first goes to your window.

JoeSparky

ainokea

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:

The officer CAN NOT know that you have a CFP on initial contact. I believe it is tied to the DL not the CAR TAG. So, unless the LEO has YOUR DL number memorized he won't have the CFP info when he first goes to your window.

JoeSparky
The officer can pull up the registration by the car tag and if you are the registered owner he can pull up all of you info prior to even pulling you over. (assuming he is following you) That includes any possible warrants, CFP, any criminal history, etc.