• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Update: Next meeting on South Jordan Toy Gun ban

scorpioajr

imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:
.....the calls that we get that turn out to be paintball or airsoft guns are a waste of limited resources...On the other hand....do we really have to micromanage people and impose such a harsh punishment?.....

... Hell....I remember being able to walk the street at all hours,...and not once the police were called. ...

I suppose it all depends on whether or not "Times" have really changed that much? Is this 'time' a bit less safe or trust worthy?

Is this a Q for a different thread?

GenkiSudo

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
GenkiSudo wrote:
.....the calls that we get that turn out to be paintball or airsoft guns are a waste of limited resources...On the other hand....do we really have to micromanage people and impose such a harsh punishment?.....

... Hell....I remember being able to walk the street at all hours,...and not once the police were called. ...

I suppose it all depends on whether or not "Times" have really changed that much? Is this 'time' a bit less safe or trust worthy?

I think times have changed. Things are more dangerous but I think the biggest change is due to liberalism.

We have become a country of (for lack of a better term) pussies who can't deal with things or accept responsibility. I'm glad my Grandfather isn't alive because the latest generations are so far removed from "the greatest generation" that laws like this have to be passed in the first place.

My child is obese....I'll sue McDonalds. I spilled hot coffee in my lap.....I'll sue McDonalds. My child is acting up.....I'll call the police to discipline them (several times a day I might add). My child was hurt at recess....let's get rid of dodgeball and sue the school.

We have become a dumbed down version of what we once were. We are a bunch of liberal wimps who absolutely REFUSE to take responsibility for our own actions or those dependant upon us.

So no....I think your question fits perfectly in this thread because it's the times we live in now that has led to laws like this and the actions of everyone around us.

/rantover :cuss:

scorpioajr

imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
GenkiSudo wrote:

I think times have changed. Things are more dangerous but I think the biggest change is due to liberalism.

We have become a country of (for lack of a better term) pussies who can't deal with things or accept responsibility. I'm glad my Grandfather isn't alive because the latest generations are so far removed from "the greatest generation" that laws like this have to be passed in the first place.

My child is obese....I'll sue McDonalds. I spilled hot coffee in my lap.....I'll sue McDonalds. My child is acting up.....I'll call the police to discipline them (several times a day I might add). My child was hurt at recess....let's get rid of dodgeball and sue the school.

We have become a dumbed down version of what we once were. We are a bunch of liberal wimps who absolutely REFUSE to take responsibility for our own actions or those dependant upon us.

So no....I think your question fits perfectly in this thread because it's the times we live in now that has led to laws like this and the actions of everyone around us.

Wow. I couldn't find a single point you made that i can disagree with.

I can not decide what is worse: The notion that this is the way we/society actually are, or the fact that we have this potential. I wonder if civilization has 'peaked', so to speak; in terms of common decency and/or maturity.

-That may be going too far.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GenkiSudo wrote:

Ding Ding Ding, you get the prize! Personal responsibility! That's exactly why I OC, I take responsibility for myself.
Sure society has decided that hired police are important, so I'll use them to my advantage whenever neccasary, but it really comes down to people taking responsibility for their own actions and their own lives.

Well said GenkiSudo!

Mr. Magnum

imported post

What I want to know is why are these people who just panic (or do so knowingly)& call the police because they see a toy gun not being charged with making a false report?

Instead they will now charge a kid with a crime for playing & enjoying himself.:cuss:

scorpioajr

imported post

Mr. Magnum wrote:
....because they see a toy gun not being charged with making a false report...
Thats a GREAT point. And would continue to be, if they weren't taking th orange tip off. i mean, that M9 looked so dang real in that video (here in post somewhere). They are just punishing the wrong ppl. Now MWAG is going to run ramped b/c LE is going to try to enforce this airsoft/fake gun law so heartily: that OCers are going to be hassled, im sure-

Cant you see it?

LEO: "Sorry sir, we thought you had an Airsoft gun. Not a real gun. Your free to go."

GenkiSudo

imported post

That's not really a false report....they're reporting what they see. I wouldn't expect a civilian to ascertain if it's a real weapon or not.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now OC'ers can be legally stopped on suspicion of carrying an airsoft gun. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

thx997303

imported post

I guarantee that they will now increase the number of MWAG calls, not decrease them like they had intended.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

thx997303

imported post

The reason I think that there will be more calls is because there are a lot of kids that just wont know the new law. And those that do will call the police.

That's the way I figure it anyway. But I may be wrong.

colormered

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
I guarantee that they will now increase the number of MWAG calls, not decrease them like they had intended.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Qualify that for me, will ya? I dont understand the logic if they ban them more MWAG will be reported.

Try this on.... All MWAG calls that would have been made WITHOUT this law will still be made. However, now, any time kids are seen on the quiet side streets of their subdivision (formerly) innocently playing with their airsoft guns are now, in fact, breaking the law, thus justifying a KWAG call, even if the reporting adult knows they are innocently playing. IT'S NOW AGAINST THE LAW, ergo, more calls.