• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two things: First, Revolver Problem.... Second, Bike Carry?

Weak 9mm

imported post

Ok, so first I went to my friend's place to shoot the S&W 642 the other day and I was SHOCKED to find out that it does not function properly!!! I am truly surprised by this, as I haven't heard negative things about Revolvers and particularly S&W. So, for all you guys talking trash about Semi's and reliability; obviously revolvers are not immune to SERIOUS issues.:p

The problems were encountered from "shot" one!! I puled the trigger and heard, "click." I pulled the trigger again and heard, "click." I pulled the trigger a third time, "click." So I took the rounds out of the cylinder and put them in my box. The primers were struck but it appeared that it was a very light strike. I will get photos of the primers up after I get back from my class this morning.

So then I though that just maybe it was bad ammo. The ammo that was in there at first was WWB's SJHP. So I put in two Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots. Both of them fired! So them I'm like, "ok, it must have been the ammo." So now I load the cylinder up with 5 Speer Gold Dots and let my friend give it a try. "Click, Click, Click, Bang, Bang." Ok, so now I was thinking "clearly something's wrong." I load the cylinder with 5 WWB SJHP's. Again, "click, click, bang, bang, click."

This revolver only fires on two of the three chambers! Those primers appear to have been struck much more than the others. The cylinder does not appear to be off, like when you rotate it you cannot see any "wobble" that would indicate that one side part of it is longer than the other, nor is there any perceptible angle or anything to the cylinder. I am thinking the cylinder was milled out of spec somehow and is probably off by less than a millimeter. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening on a brand new S&W 642 out of the box and what you guys think the cause may be.

My Glock 26 on the other hand, performed so well I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. It put out bullets at very nice velocities and is EXTREMELY accurate. I am amazed at just how accurate and controllable this Pocket Glock is even in completely standard form. Maybe I just got a good one, but the accuracy is astonishing. This is with the standard sights (Rear "U" and front dot) and standard recoil spring / guide rod. This sucker is NASTY! I fed it 4 different types of ammo with zero failures (It was brand new right out of the box, this is why I love Glocks and trust my life to them!). Even WWB 115gr FMJs it had incredible performance. I shot a number of bottles (Two 3 liters, a juice bottle and a milk jug), which were all filled with water, and the performance of WWB FMJ's out of the Glock 26 was shocking. One hit caused one of the 3 liters to explode and rip completely in half. The top snapped in half and went flying into the air. I also hit them with my 9BPLE's and they had PLENTY of velocity out of the short barrel Glock. I retreived a number of them and they expanded fully, although there were core/jacket separations and fragmentation. This is nice for wounding but I wouldn't trust them to have a lot of performance through barriers. The effect of that round is devastating though. It again documented just how nasty the 9mm really is. I would NOT want to be in downrange of any rounds fired from the Glock 26.

Also, I got a brand new 2007 SV-650 a little over a week ago. They are impossible to find at any local dealerships right now because of their popularity. Also, Suzuki apparently decided to switch things up this year and release the 2009's later than they usually release the next model year. So the dealers were expecting the bikes in by now and they wont be in for a few more months! So no SV's are anywhere to be found. I was going to just spend the extra money to get a 2008 Ducati Monster but I lucked out and found that SV. It turned out that the dealer had somehow "forgotten about it" (I guess they lost the paperwork that said they had it?) and it stayed in a crate in the back for well over a year. They discovered that they had it last week and I happened to talk to them right after they put it on the showroom floor. So I had them hold it for two days so that I could buy it and I went in and snagged it last Saturday. I got a number of upgrades as well, although they haven't come in yet. The upgrades are a Suzuki Gel Seat, Suzuki Tank Protector, Competition Werkes Rear Fender Eliminator, Leo Vince SBK Aluminum Slip-On Exhaust and a Dynojet Power Commander III USB.

I'm really excited about those items, particularly the exhaust and fender eliminator, because the stock exhaust is silent and the rear fender is massive and looks out of place on the bike. This is it:

25983_view.jpg

So anyway, how do you guys carry on your bike? Do you OC or CC? Are there any problems you've encountered with "normal citizens," LEO's or anything else? I have a Serpa retention holster for my Glock 17, which seems like a good idea on a bike. I also have the clip draw on my non-functioning S&W revolver, but obviously I can't carry that until I've fixed it.

ODA 226

imported post

Question one: Have you changed the factory stocks? Are the stocks factory or aftermarket? If they are not factory, it is possible that the mainspring has been messed with and can be the cause for light primer strikes.

eyesopened

imported post

I carry concealed on the bike since I always wear a riding jacket. When I tried to OC, the jacket gets hung up on the gun/holster and then the jacket doesn't fit right. A leg holster would probably work right but I don't have one of those. Congrats on the new bike.

Gunslinger

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Question one: Have you changed the factory stocks? Are the stocks factory or aftermarket? If they are not factory, it is possible that the mainspring has been messed with and can be the cause for light primer strikes.
I agree it sounds like a mainspring rather than indexing problem. Those are the two usual areas a revolver will malfunction in. Generally, a Smith performs like what it is: the best revolver sold in the world. My 586 has performed flawlessly for 20 years and still is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Even the SIG GSRs can't match its accuracy. And the SA trigger pull is the best I've ever felt. Still, even Ferraris can go out of timing.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I agree it sounds like a mainspring rather than indexing problem. Those are the two usual areas a revolver will malfunction in. Generally, a Smith performs like what it is: the best revolver sold in the world. My 586 has performed flawlessly for 20 years and still is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Even the SIG GSRs can't match its accuracy. And the SA trigger pull is the best I've ever felt. Still, even Ferraris can go out of timing.
This is what bothers me about it, nothing has been changed at all on the revolver. It was brand new, like this was the first time I ever fired it, and it did not work. Seriously, the first time I ever pulled the trigger with a loaded round in the chamber it went, "click." I am absolutely amazed, because I figured a S&W would be the least likely of pretty much all of the revolvers to have a problem right out of the factory. But it does! I must say my start into revolvers is not what I had hoped it would be. For now I still trust my Glocks far more than anything else! I will take it back to the place I bought it but I have a feeling it will have to be sent back to S&W.

I carry concealed on the bike since I always wear a riding jacket. When I tried to OC, the jacket gets hung up on the gun/holster and then the jacket doesn't fit right. A leg holster would probably work right but I don't have one of those. Congrats on the new bike.
Yeah that's why I asked. It doesn't seem like OC will work that well with a jacket. Although like you said, one of those tactical holsters that puts the gun on the oustide of your thigh would probably work for OC on the bike. For now I may just CC until I can get a better "rig" for OCing on the bike.