• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have an idea on educating people about OC

ejh016016

imported post

I have read many stories on this forum about how people are confronted by either LEO's or just regular civilians about OC. For those unfortunate LEO's and civilians that are not aware about the laws past that allow us to open carry, I was thinking that I would take the initiative to educate these people. I myself have never been confronted by an LEO or a civilians with any problems about my side arm and I live in Jefferson County. I was thinking though would it be a good idea to maybe have a little print out of the laws and regulations as well as the restrictions to OC and CC. Maybe print them out on a little index card laminate it and carry it on my person in case of an unfortunate event that I was harassed or if some body just needed a little education. Well thats it just a thought would love some feedback on this.....

Statesman

imported post

Who is the intended audience for these cards?

I think it would be a great idea for people in general, but many LEOs would not appreciate being handed or advised on what laws are from citizens, especially if you are being detained. I'm certainly not saying they don't need the educational assistance. It's just better off coming from their supervisors.

v8shoguy

imported post

I had a J-town (Jefferson County) cop try to play 20 questions with me about my pistol after I informed him that my insurance card was under it in the glovebox. He asked why it was there twice and I referenced KRS twice. He then says "Yeah I know that but why do you have it?" I didn't answer that question, he didn't press the issue beyond that.

He also saw some of my other IDs and tried to recruit me to the police force... :? I guess he had a hard time figuring out if I was a good guy or a bad guy.

I'm sure he would have been thrilled if I told him it was my right to legally posess firearms and then tried to hand him a brochure. That might have muddied things up a bit.

All of this to say it's probably best to not try to hand anything to a LEO unless you have a pre-existing (and friendly) relationship with them. I wouldn't try to establish this during a stop.

v8shoguy

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I would'a told him: "Same reason you do... for self defense!"

Nah, everybody knows that cops carry for the defense of citizens... :D