• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone catch this story out of Powhatan?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Powhatan homeowner catches murder suspect - holds him at gunpoint for police.

August 5th, 2008

Man is arrested in uncle’s killing

Family is left heartbroken and mystified by shooting Friday night in driveway

Sunday, Aug 03, 200

Powhatan County authorities yesterday arrested a man accused of the shotgun slaying of his uncle Friday night.

David Woodfin Jr., 21, of Powhatan was apprehended yesterday afternoon 4 miles from where the shooting took place in a neighborhood off Huguenot Trail in central Powhatan.

Donald P. Malkemus Jr., 49, was fatally shot in the driveway of his parents’ home in the 3100 block of French Hill Drive, family members say.

Suzanne Malkemus, the victim’s mother, said her son had just dropped her off at home after a birthday party for his 13-year-old son.

“He told me on the way home, ‘The most important thing in my life are my sons,’” she painfully recalled yesterday. “He was a wonderful son and a wonderful father. I’m so sorry this had to happen.”

Police responded Friday at 9:49 p.m. to the report of a fatal shooting at the home where Woodfin was visiting his grandparents. When authorities arrived, they discovered the body of Malkemus, a Powhatan resident and owner of a tree-service business.

Relatives said there had been a brief exchange between Malkemus and Woodfin before Malkemus got in his truck to leave.

“There was just a disagreement and things got out of hand,” said William Douglas Malkemus, the victim’s brother. “I think David was just trying to scare him and something happened that wasn’t supposed to happen. I don’t think he meant to do this.”

Suzanne Ridout, Malkemus’ sister, said her brother and Woodfin had gotten along relatively well, but she said the nephew owed his uncle money. Woodfin had previously worked for Malkemus, she said.

“He was just a good, hardworking man,” Ridout said of her brother. “This doesn’t make any sense.”

After an almost 16-hour search, Powhatan sheriff’s deputies arrested Woodfin yesterday about 1:30 p.m. in the 2700 block of Red Lane Road. He had been detained at gunpoint by a homeowner who recognized Woodfin after he rang the doorbell to ask to use the phone.

“With the help of the citizens, this was brought to a successful end,” said Powhatan Chief Deputy Daniel K. Giardini, who added that this was the second slaying in Powhatan in two months. Before this summer, the county had gone about five years without a homicide, he said.

Woodfin had been missing since just after the shooting, when he walked back into the house, dropped off the shotgun and took some money before leaving on foot, Ridout said.

Woodfin is charged with first-degree murder and use of a firearm in a felony. He’s being held without bond pending a court appearance Wednesday.

“This is a tragedy in a lot of different ways,” said Mary Catherine Malkemus, another sister of the victim, adding that her brother leaves behind a wife and two sons.

“Any way you turn, there’s no good outcome. It just doesn’t get much worse than this,” she said.

story courtesy of the Richmond Times-Dispatch

razor_baghdad

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Powhatan homeowner catches murder suspect - holds him at gunpoint for police.

August 5th, 2008

After an almost 16-hour search, Powhatan sheriff’s deputies arrested Woodfin yesterday about 1:30 p.m. in the 2700 block of Red Lane Road. He had been detained at gunpoint by a homeowner who recognized Woodfin after he rang the doorbell to ask to use the phone.

“With the help of the citizens, this was brought to a successful end,” said Powhatan Chief Deputy Daniel K. Giardini, who added that this was the second slaying in Powhatan in two months. Before this summer, the county had gone about five years without a homicide, he said.

Woodfin had been missing since just after the shooting, when he walked back into the house, dropped off the shotgun and took some money before leaving on foot, Ridout said.

>snip<
“Any way you turn, there’s no good outcome. It just doesn’t get much worse than this,” she said.

story courtesy of the Richmond Times-Dispatch

Don't quite agree with the 'no good outcome' statement. I do understand being PC in keeping with the story.

>just saw where the link took me<....duh :banghead:

Who was the citizen/ Any names? I'd like to hear his side of the story, I'd consider him a hero! Invite him here!!

rchjr

imported post

WOW, I live on Red Lane. I was cutting the grass Sunday when somewhere after 12 pm 3 county cars and one state car went by code 3. And my family wonders why I cut the grass armed:what:. It would be nice if the county put out info on happenings such as these. I wasn't even aware of the shooting. I've got to get a scanner. He could have walked up to my house and asked to use the phone and I wouldn't have known anything was wrong. He wouldn't have used the phone because I don't let anyone into the house for any reason. Still it would have been nice to know.

Renegade

imported post

Wow...out of 476 words in the story only 78 near the bottom discussed the citizen detaining the killer. I guess 16% is pretty good when compared to most articles!