• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Seeks to End DC Gun Measures

echo6tango

imported post

Well, I guess better late than never...they've had the power to do this for the past 30-some years...why now?

House Seeks To End DC Gun Measures

WASHINGTON -- House leaders have agreed to allow a vote next month on a bill that would end local handgun control in the District of Columbia.

The measure was filed last week by several conservative Democrats, and supporters said it has a good chance of passing the House. Its prospects in the Senate are unclear.

The Supreme Court struck down the city's 32-year-old handgun ban in June. Since then, D.C. lawmakers have passed emergency legislation that maintains strict regulations.

The House bill seeks to eliminate those measures.

The legislation would allow D.C. residents to own handguns without registering them with police if they meet federal requirements for firearms ownership.

The bill also would end a requirement that owners keep their handguns unloaded and disassembled in their homes and would repeal the city's ban on most semiautomatic handguns.

http://www.nbc4.com/politics/17098076/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

MetalChris

imported post

I hope it doesn't pass!! I mean if law-abiding citizens are allowed to posess semi-automatic assault handguns the blood is going to run down the streets! :shock:

trailblazer2003

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
I hope it doesn't pass!! I mean if law-abiding citizens are allowed to posess semi-automatic assault handguns the blood is going to run down the streets! :shock:
Also, those poor ciminals having to face an armed homeowner! That has to be unconstitutional in and of itself.

ETA: Why is Congress suddenly all for taking the power back from D.C.?

Flyer22

imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
ETA: Why is Congress suddenly all for taking the power back from D.C.?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because this is an election year. Plus, I suspect some of the Dems remember how badly Kerry messed up in '04 on the gun issue.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sadly the legislation is poorly written so DC would be easily able to create new legislation.

best bet is just to preempt DC entirely.

rspiess

imported post

It would not surprise me if this isa token "gift" to use for negotiation in DC having a vote in congress.