Thread: 44mag, 454 cas,460 ruger,or 500 s&w????

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va

Post imported post

I'mlooking for opinions on which large cal would be best to carry as a sidearm while bow hunting for Kodiak bear.I have shot the 44 mag.But have heard horror stories about the 454 cas,460 ruger,and 500 s&w.I'm not recoil shy but would prefer to get the best power with the least amount of abuse.What dose everyone think?
    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!

Post imported post

S&W Model 29
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

There's the .460 Smith & Wessonmagnum also. I really can't advise about the Dirty Harry stuff generally (although I used to favor the underappreciated .41 magnum). I've broken a lot of bones and it hurts me to shoot that stuff in my old age. I'd just carry a long gun if I needed that much power.

-ljp

Post imported post

Bears are rifle meat, but if you are limited to a handgun,.44mag for beeg bears, .357 for black bears. For those who thinkthat isn't enough...... I'm sure you've ordered your .50 cal 1911 for personal defense.......oh wait, the .51 is on the way.

Post imported post

I went with the .44 Mag when I bought my Alaskan partly because of ammunition availability. When I’m in Sportsman’s or Cabela’s there are dozens of choices in .44 Mag; few and sometime none in the other calibers.

Post imported post

Kodiaks??

Dude.....you don't need a handgun.....

Just haul along somebody you can OUTRUN!!!

Seriously, though. 454 with a hard-cast, gas-check HEAVY bullet. Nothing less. And make SURE you get it a few months ahead of your hunt and learn how to shoot it.....well.

Problem is you have such heavy recoil and muzzle jump, it's hard to get off a second shot accurately, especially under stress.

If it were me, and it was legal to bow hunt with it as a back-up, I'd have a mossberg/remington pistol grip 12 ga with slugs slung over my shoulder.

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va

Post imported post

Hard for me to outrun anyone, Im pretty fat and slow.I looked intoit a shotgun isnt legal for me as im bow hunting,but my guide will be carring one of those.
    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!