• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

44mag, 454 cas,460 ruger,or 500 s&w????

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

I'mlooking for opinions on which large cal would be best to carry as a sidearm while bow hunting for Kodiak bear.I have shot the 44 mag.But have heard horror stories about the 454 cas,460 ruger,and 500 s&w.I'm not recoil shy but would prefer to get the best power with the least amount of abuse.What dose everyone think?

Legba

imported post

There's the .460 Smith & Wessonmagnum also. I really can't advise about the Dirty Harry stuff generally (although I used to favor the underappreciated .41 magnum). I've broken a lot of bones and it hurts me to shoot that stuff in my old age. I'd just carry a long gun if I needed that much power.

-ljp

gbentzen8

imported post

Bears are rifle meat, but if you are limited to a handgun,.44mag for beeg bears, .357 for black bears. For those who thinkthat isn't enough...... I'm sure you've ordered your .50 cal 1911 for personal defense.......oh wait, the .51 is on the way.

Mainsail

imported post

I went with the .44 Mag when I bought my Alaskan partly because of ammunition availability. When I’m in Sportsman’s or Cabela’s there are dozens of choices in .44 Mag; few and sometime none in the other calibers.

OBXMIKE

imported post

Kodiaks??

Dude.....you don't need a handgun.....

Just haul along somebody you can OUTRUN!!!

Seriously, though. 454 with a hard-cast, gas-check HEAVY bullet. Nothing less. And make SURE you get it a few months ahead of your hunt and learn how to shoot it.....well.

Problem is you have such heavy recoil and muzzle jump, it's hard to get off a second shot accurately, especially under stress.

If it were me, and it was legal to bow hunt with it as a back-up, I'd have a mossberg/remington pistol grip 12 ga with slugs slung over my shoulder.