• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry

sureshot

imported post

Is there anyone here from S. W. Michigan that would be willing to join me in an Open Carry in St. Joseph, Michigan. Would love to see how the police would react.

rodbender

imported post

You can go alone. As I understand it, Michigan is a rural open carry state so make sure you are in the right place. Take along a voice recorder, electronic ones are best. And wear it out of sight.

Tucker6900

imported post

rodbender wrote:
You can go alone. As I understand it, Michigan is a rural open carry state so make sure you are in the right place. Take along a voice recorder, electronic ones are best. And wear it out of sight.

Michigan is Open Carry......Period. There are some restrictions however. Heres a quick run down:

If you dont have a CPL, YOU MUST OPEN CARRY. Which means when you enter your vehicle, the weapon is therefore considered concealed, and needs to be transported properly. But, you cannot OC in Michigans Gun Free Zones.

If you have a CPL, you are free toOCin most,if not all, of Michigans Gun FreeZones, but, you are not allowed to CC in the gun free zones, even with a CPL.

And just to assure yourself less chance of being hassled, go here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

Scroll down to the section that starts with "What we send to LEO Departments"

Copy down to the bottom, Paste in email, send to local chief of sheriff.

PLEASE NOTE: This information is not intended to be legal advice, but merely a starting point for your own investigation of Open Carry Laws.

spectr019

imported post

I thought that even with a CPL/CCW you couldn't OC in pistol free zones because they are "pistol free zones," not "concealed pistol free zones?" Any clearification would be appreciated.

Ben

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

Michigan is Open Carry......Period. There are some restrictions however. Heres a quick run down:

If you dont have a CPL, YOU MUST OPEN CARRY (If you are 18 years of age or older, and you may lawfully own a gunand the pistol you're carrying is registered to you). Which means when you enter your vehicle, the weapon is therefore considered concealed, and needs to be transported ( [font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.231a[/font] ) properly. But, you cannot (not necessarily, see MCL 750.234d & MCL 28.425o) OC in Michigans Gun Free Zones.

If you have a CPL, you are free toOCin most,if not all, of Michigans Gun FreeZones, but, you are not allowed to CC in the gun free zones, even with a CPL.Correct, see MCL 28.425o.

And just to assure yourself less chance of being hassled, go here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

PLEASE NOTE: This information is not intended to be legal advice, but merely a starting point for your own investigation of Open Carry Laws.
(Emphasis Mine)

rodbender

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

If you dont have a CPL, YOU MUST OPEN CARRY. Which means when you enter your vehicle, the weapon is therefore considered concealed, and needs to be transported properly. But, you cannot OC in Michigans Gun Free Zones.

If you have a CPL, you are free toOCin most,if not all, of Michigans Gun FreeZones, but, you are not allowed to CC in the gun free zones, even with a CPL.

Cool, thanks for the education, I wasn't sure is why I said "As I understand it". Must have been mixed up with another state in that area.

I'm in Texas and we can't carry squat without permission from mommy.

Tucker6900

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Cool, thanks for the education, I wasn't sure is why I said "As I understand it". Must have been mixed up with another state in that area.

I'm in Texas and we can't carry squat without permission from mommy.
Isnt there a petition right now to get Texas OC?

quarter horseman

imported post

You need to calm down alittle, your wanting to see how the police will react is a reason people get scared when they see our guns, you act like fool to get attention and that will scare people.

I carry becuse I have the right, I carry to protect my family, myself and anyone else who would need my help, not to get reactions from people. I hope I never geta reaction, when I oc andnot get a reactionthat will mean the word is out and people are carringmore. So please don't make a bad name for the rest of us thank you.

GLOCK_N_ROLL

imported post

[/b]

NOT A GOOD IDEA .........

Taping a conversation
Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539c: A private conversation legally cannot be overheard or recorded without the consent of all participants. Illegal eavesdropping can be punished as a felony carrying a jail term of up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000.

In addition, any individual who divulges information he knows, or reasonably should know, was obtained through illegal eavesdropping is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for up to two years and a fine of up to $2,000. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539e. Civil liability for actual and punitive damages also are sanctioned. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539h.

The eavesdropping statute has been interpreted by one court as applying only to situations in which a third party has intercepted a communication, an interpretation that makes it legal for a participant in a conversation to record that conversation without the permission of other parties. Sullivan v. Gray, 324 N.W.2d 58 (Mich. Ct. App. 1982).

The state supreme court stated in a July 1999 ruling that a participant in a conversation "may not unilaterally nullify other participants' expectations of privacy by secretly broadcasting the conversation" and that the overriding inquiry should be whether the parties "intended and reasonably expected that the conversation was private." Therefore, it is likely that a recording party may not broadcast a recorded conversation without the consent of all parties. Dickerson v. Raphael, 601 N.W.2d 108 (Mich.1999).

Under the Michigan statute, a parent may not vicariously consent to a recording for a minor child. Williams v. Williams, 603 N.W. 2d 114 (Mich. Ct. App. 1999).

It is a felony to observe, photograph or eavesdrop on a person in a private place without the person's consent. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539d. A private place is a place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from intrusion or surveillance, but not a place where the public has access. Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.539a.

GLOCK_N_ROLL

imported post

AS A SIDE NOTE TO MY PREVIOUS POST,

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO TAPE A CONVERSATION NOR VIDEOTAPE LAW ENFORCEMENT - UNLESS YOUR INTENTION IS HIDDEN/UNANNOUNCED/UNKNOWN TO THEM.

TAKE OUT YOUR RECORDER AND IN PLAIN SIGHT, PRESS "RECORD" AND THEN IMMEDIATELY STATE OUT LOUD THAT YOU ARE RECORDING THE EVENT. ADD YOUR NAME, DATE/, TIME, LOCATION, DESCRIPTIONS, LE NAMES/BADGE NUMBERS/ ETC....... ALONG WITH THE EVENT TAKING PLACE.

YES, THIS MAY MAKE LE ANGRY OR UNEASY .......... SOME LE WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU CANNOT DO IT - BUT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO IT WHEN DONE PROPERLY AND THEY WILL MOST LIKELY NOTE IT ON THEIR REPORT/CITATION FOR COURT PURPOSES.