• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Food Lion's official position on ON

Charlotte_resident

imported post

A week or two ago I went to the Food Lion across from the Wal-Mart on Eastway in the evening in Charlotte. I was promptly met by the MOD and a security guard who firmly but couteously told me I could not carry in the store. I was allowed to pay for what I had picked out and received noi more attention from them after I said I would not carry in the store again. I then went home and wrote a letter to FL management saying this was an emberassing incident whcih was unecesssary because there was no firearms policy sign of any kind on the front door.

The reply came in the mail today, and from the legal department rather than public relations. It said simply that all customers of Food Lion are expected to obey all national, state and local laws while in the stores, and "...thus, Food Lion does not have an official position on this matter.".

So that's whjat they said. My personal interpretation is that they don't want to get their hands dirty with thsi one way or another, so you're probably at the mercy of the store's individual GM, whcih is right where I started. Luckily, most of us have reported that we have not been hassled while shopping at Food Lion.

Panos1296

imported post

Most OC incidents depend on the manager on duty at that time. Some ppl are comfortable with it, others are not. And some, assume it is illegal.

But at the Food Lion I normally go to (Candlewyck & Providemce Rd.), I have never had an issue. The Harris Teeter at Arboretum has never hassled me either.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

I have also found, since getting a Fobus holster for my snub .38 Taurus, whcih enables me to leave the huge S&W cannon at home, I look and feel less conspicuous. I think the reason no one has said a peep to me for the last several days of OC with the smaller piece is because they don't even notice it most of the time. I'm amazed at how you can stand in front of someone for five minutes talking to them and then they go "Oh, I didn't see you had a gun.".

Jeff

Weak 9mm

imported post

I'd have a hard time not responding with something to the effect of, "At no time did I violate federal or state law, nor did I violate any city ordinances. Could you please clarify your response?"

swoolard

imported post

I've never really had anyone question me or look at me funny. It may be in what you carry and what you dress like. Because of my job (and honestly, personal preference) I always dress in either a button down shirt or polo with slacks/khakis and a belt with black tactical boots. I carry it with the muzzle facing down and back with a 10 degree 'cant' just behind my right pants pocket (also known as FBI cant/position). It's a Springfield XD45 with a BlackHawk CQC SERPA.

I'm going to assume it is because they believe I'm either LE or private security. While I never want to be mistaken as either one of them, if it keeps people from bugging me about open-carrying a firearm, so be it.

My point is, if you're going to carry, at least look like you wouldn't rob the place. Shave, trim your beard, get a haircut, dress decently and no one will bother you.

I'm not assuming anything about your situation, I'm just giving my experience ;)

yonder

imported post

I don't usually do the food shopping, but when I do, I usually try to go to the Food Lion on Strickland Ave near Six Forks Rd. No hassles there yet.

The Kroger at Falls of Neuse & Strickland is posted NO WEAPONS so I try not to go there.

Weak 9mm

imported post

What I said was this:

I'd have a hard time not responding with something to the effect of, "At no time did I violate federal or state law, nor did I violate any city ordinances. Could you please clarify your response?"
And yes, I would ask for them to clarify their response.