• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Haven Tribune documents illegal local police conduct in enforcing open carry ban

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/298738684615690.bsp

A man was arrested for carrying a gun in the open in the moments leading up to the Coast Guard Festival's fireworks display Saturday night.

The man was carrying a Glock 40 handgun in a holster at his side in downtown Grand Haven, said Lt. Mark Reiss of the Grand Haven Department of Public Safety. The man was disarmed by the officers, arrested on a misdemeanor, issued a 90-day appearance ticket and allowed to leave, Reiss said. His weapon was also confiscated by police.

While Michigan law allows carrying concealed weapons with a permit, Grand Haven has a local ordinance prohibiting openly possessing and carrying dangerous weapons in public, Reiss said. People carrying weapons can be frightening and the department received several verbal complaints about the man, Reiss said.

"It is very dangerous and very frightening to spectators down there," Reiss said. "It simply isn't a place to have a gun."

Tucker6900

imported post

I cant wait to see what Grand Havens response to this is. Hopefully this will be one of the turning points for Michigan LE and citizen alike to realize what is happening and do the right thing.

Sheriff

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
I cant wait to see what Grand Havens response to this is. Hopefully this will be one of the turning points for Michigan LE and citizen alike to realize what is happening and do the right thing.

I assume you are the same Tucker who posted the Grand Havens thread on officer.com ?

In 100 words or less, tell me how you feel that thread went.

Sheriff

imported post

dougwg wrote:
What are you're intentions in posting in this thread?

In 100 words or less. :quirky

The thread Tucker posted on officer.com is now prety much anti-open-carry, IMHO. My intentions are to simply remind people that just because something is said on officer.com, it doesn't mean a real police officer said it. There is no verification process there, and there are many people there who sign up and pretend to be cops. I've already reminded people of this in both the General Discussions section and the Virginia section many times (where I hang out here mostly).

EDIT: typo

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
dougwg wrote:
What are you're intentions in posting in this thread?

In 100 words or less. :quirky

The thread Tucker posted on officer.com is now prety much anti-open-carry, IMHO. My intentions are to simply remind people that just because something is said on officer.com, it doesn't mean a real police officer said it. There is no verification process there, and there are many people there who sign up and pretend to be cops. I've already reminded people of this in both the General Discussions section and the Virginia section many times (where I hang out here mostly).

EDIT: typo

The exact reason why I posted this earlier today: :)

I suspect that site is composed of:Legitimate "Peace Officers" good or bad,Mall Ninjas, Reserve & Volunteer Reserve Officers/Firemen/Paramedics/EMT's/ETC.who do not meet the definition of "Peace Officers", and of course, those who have nothing else to do while sitting in the basement of their mothers house.

Tucker6900

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I assume you are the same Tucker who posted the Grand Havens thread on officer.com ?

In 100 words or less, tell me how you feel that thread went.

Well, to be honest,other thanfor the fewmembers taking the subject for something that it wasnt about: I.E. It was to gather support for a fellow citizen in need, and NOT to bash, complain, or as one "LEO" put it, be a "Whiney ass on an LEO Forum", I think it went well. Not only didI reach out to people I thought would care, but it also educated some of them to realize that they may need to take a look at the laws of their own state and make sure they are enfocring it properly.

P.S. Will 99 words be ok?

I know there is no verification process there. And that may allow people posing as officers to cause a stir. I think I have a pretty good feel for who really is, and who isnot, and try toavoid them if possible.

Dan F.

imported post

(snip)...The exact reason why I posted this earlier today: :)

I suspect that site is composed of:Legitimate "Peace Officers" good or bad,Mall Ninjas, Reserve & Volunteer Reserve Officers/Firemen/Paramedics/EMT's/ETC.who do not meet the definition of "Peace Officers", and of course, those who have nothing else to do while sitting in the basement of their mothers house.
I hope I'm not focusing on minutae here or being petty but you sound like you're painting a lot of non-police, public safety employees with a pretty broad brush. I think most of us choose to be "Reserve & Volunteer Reserve Officers/Firemen/Paramedics/EMT's/ETC" because we like the work, not because we are cop wannabes. I don't believe I've ever been compared to a Mall Ninja before.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Dan F. wrote:
(snip)...The exact reason why I posted this earlier today: :)

I hope I'm not focusing on minutae here or being petty but you sound like you're painting a lot of non-police, public safety employees with a pretty broad brush. I think most of us choose to be "Reserve & Volunteer Reserve Officers/Firemen/Paramedics/EMT's/ETC" because we like the work, not because we are cop wannabes. I don't believe I've ever been compared to a Mall Ninja before.

Nope. You completely missed it.

The site is dedicated to "Peace Officers", not Mall Ninjas. However, others may register and are only allowed (per their site rules, Ask A Cop) to post questions, not responses.

And, to make myself perfectly clear, if you do not meet the definition of a "Peace Officer", guess what, you are not a "Peace Officer"...Plain and simple. My response was only to those who think they are/want to bea peace officer.

I was, in no way, bashing public safety employees/volunteers-only those who pretend to be a cop on a/the forum. Hence, "Legitimate Peace Officers."

Not that I care, one way or the other and just for reference, I am one of those who you think I'm painting with a broad brush.

Does this clear things up enough for you or do I need to expand on my views of this issue.

Dan F.

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Nope. You completely missed it.

The site is dedicated to "Peace Officers", not Mall Ninjas. However, others may register and are only allowed (per their site rules, Ask A Cop) to post questions, not responses.

And, to make myself perfectly clear, if you do not meet the definition of a "Peace Officer", guess what, you are not a "Peace Officer"...Plain and simple. My response was only to those who think they are/want to bea peace officer.

I was, in no way, bashing public safety employees/volunteers-only those who pretend to be a cop on a/the forum. Hence, "Legitimate Peace Officers."

Not that I care, one way or the other and just for reference, I am one of those who you think I'm painting with a broad brush.

Does this clear things up enough for you or do I need to expand on my views of this issue.

My sincerest apologies. You did indeed seem to be bashing non-police, public safety employees or at leastlumping them all into a groupof"cop wannabes" but after I re-read your post I realized you were apparently referring to posters on a certain website (the name of which I don't recall at the moment). I was clearly mistaken and, again, apologize for my error.

Although I think I now understand your earlier post, if you feel the need, by all means expand on your views. I believe that's what this forum is for.

jbone

imported post

#3 of the Ordinance clearly states “expressly permitted by law. Even the MSP recognizes open carry as legal with their recent legal bulletin. Did Grand Haven violate their own law/ordinance as well as State law? Is there another Ordinance I may have missed. Just vacationed back home in South Haven for the Blue Berry Fest, had no problems there.

Sec. 24-55. Weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1)Carry a dagger, knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous weapon, except hunting knives adapted and carried as such, whether concealed or otherwise, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or other premises possessed by him or her. No person shall carry a pistol on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by him or her, without a license as provided by law. If a person is in possession of a valid license for a pistol, it shall be unlawful to carry the same in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license, except in his or her dwelling place or place of business.

(3)Possess, carry, expose, display, discharge, utilize or have any firearm or other dangerous weapon in any public place unless expressly permitted by law.

Tucker6900

imported post

jbone wrote:
#3 of the Ordinance clearly states “expressly permitted by law. Even the MSP recognizes open carry as legal with their recent legal bulletin. Did Grand Haven violate their own law/ordinance as well as State law? Is there another Ordinance I may have missed. Just vacationed back home in South Haven for the Blue Berry Fest, had no problems there.

Sec. 24-55. Weapons.

(1)Carry a dagger, knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous weapon, except hunting knives adapted and carried as such, whether concealed or otherwise, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or other premises possessed by him or her. No person shall carry a pistol on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by him or her, without a license as provided by law. If a person is in possession of a valid license for a pistol, it shall be unlawful to carry the same in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license, except in his or her dwelling place or place of business.

(3)Possess, carry, expose, display, discharge, utilize or have any firearm or other dangerous weapon in any public place unless expressly permitted by law.
I think the main thing they are guilty of is the violation of state law, I.E Preemption.

jbone

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
jbone wrote:

Sec. 24-55. Weapons.

I think the main thing they are guilty of is the violation of state law, I.E Preemption.

Sometimes I feel Governmental bodies are becoming the very people our forefathers revolted against. They say history repeats, are we returning to the state of rule we freed ourselves of?

maeqFREEDOMfree

imported post

Sometimes I feel Governmental bodies are becoming the very people our forefathers revolted against. They say history repeats, are we returning to the state of rule we freed ourselves of?
I get the same feelings. I mean when you line up the reasons our forefathers broke away from the mainland and strived for independence, with the issues we face today, one could make the argument.

To me it seems that the governmental bodies have not outright "removed rights" but have "regulated" them to a point where we might as well not have them at all. And when it comes down to it, to me it seems that unless more people wake up and start voicing their opinion, nothing will change.

"Freedom is more than a word, it is a perspective"

Edit:Spelling

jbone

imported post

maeqFREEDOMfree wrote:
I get the same feelings. I mean when you line up the reasons our forefathers broke away from the mainland and strived for independence, with the issues we face today, one could make the argument.

To me it seems that the governmental bodies have not outright "removed rights" but have "regulated" them to a point where we might as well not have them at all. And when it comes down to it, to me it seems that unless more people wake up and start voicing their opinion, nothing will change.

"Freedom is more than a word, it is a perspective"

Edit:Spelling
+1