Thread: Not quite a carry question.

Post imported post

I'm planning on going up to Maine for a few days (not in any cities) and would like to bring my pistol with me. I have a carry permit in CT but there's no reciprocity between the two states.

I will need to get where I'm going via car so can I legally transport the weapon in the car if it's in its locked case and not easily accessible or does carrying in a car in any capacity imply the need for the Maine permit?

I tried searching maine.gov to find the text of the firearms laws and although the website has some good stuff on it I never did uncover the actual laws in question.

Thanks for any pointers as to whether or not this is ok, or better yet, where on the silly Maine web page I can find the actual statutes.

Thanks

GC

Post imported post

Keep it locked in the case, unloaded, and you should be fine. FYI: you can legally open carry with a loaded weapon without a permit here, just make sure to unload before getting in the car also if you plan to visit maine once in awhile.. just apply for the non-resident CCP sometime, I hear it's real easy to get.
    to verify the laws check out NRAs website or search http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/
    usually takes awhile to find the right law.. but they're all there. :celebrate

Post imported post

It is pretty easy to get...about 60 days...i got mine..just like new hampshires so i don't need to unload when i get in my car

Post imported post

Thanks for the responses, I'll look at the janus website a little closer and see what I can find. If I feel I can comply with the law I'll take it, if not, well there's always next time. I'd be heading up this week so no time to do the non resident

GC

Post imported post

Here's the relevant section I believe.

§11212. Motor vehicles and motorboats
    1.Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or a crossbow in a motor vehicle.

(Part A doesn't apply to me since I won't be shooting out of the car)

A. A person may not shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or while in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except: (1) A person may hunt migratory waterfowl from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations; (2) Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion; and (3) A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by its motor. [2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §142 (AMD); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF); 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §422 (AFF).]

(Part B is the applicable part. If the weapon is unloaded then it's ok. For good measure I think having it inside its locked case would probably be the best situation)

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2005, c. 477, §9 (AMD).]

(Not going hunting either.)

C. A person may not possess a wild animal or wild bird taken in violation of paragraph A or B, except as otherwise provided in this Part. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).]
    Thanks again for the tip on where to look

GC