• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not quite a carry question.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I'm planning on going up to Maine for a few days (not in any cities) and would like to bring my pistol with me. I have a carry permit in CT but there's no reciprocity between the two states.

I will need to get where I'm going via car so can I legally transport the weapon in the car if it's in its locked case and not easily accessible or does carrying in a car in any capacity imply the need for the Maine permit?

I tried searching maine.gov to find the text of the firearms laws and although the website has some good stuff on it I never did uncover the actual laws in question.

Thanks for any pointers as to whether or not this is ok, or better yet, where on the silly Maine web page I can find the actual statutes.

Thanks

GC

Maineiac

imported post

Keep it locked in the case, unloaded, and you should be fine.:) FYI: you can legally open carry with a loaded weapon without a permit here, just make sure to unload before getting in the car :p also if you plan to visit maine once in awhile.. just apply for the non-resident CCP sometime, I hear it's real easy to get.
to verify the laws check out NRAs website or search http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/
usually takes awhile to find the right law.. but they're all there. :celebrate

GoldCoaster

imported post

Thanks for the responses, I'll look at the janus website a little closer and see what I can find. If I feel I can comply with the law I'll take it, if not, well there's always next time. I'd be heading up this week so no time to do the non resident :D

GC

GoldCoaster

imported post

Here's the relevant section I believe.

§11212. Motor vehicles and motorboats
1.Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or a crossbow in a motor vehicle.

(Part A doesn't apply to me since I won't be shooting out of the car)

[sub]A. A person may not shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or while in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except: [/sub] [sub](1) A person may hunt migratory waterfowl from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations;[/sub] [sub](2) Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion; and[/sub] [sub] (3) A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by its motor.[/sub][sub] [2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §142 (AMD); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF); 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §422 (AFF).][/sub]

(Part B is the applicable part. If the weapon is unloaded then it's ok. For good measure I think having it inside its locked case would probably be the best situation)

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2005, c. 477, §9 (AMD).]

(Not going hunting either.)

[sub]C. A person may not possess a wild animal or wild bird taken in violation of paragraph A or B, except as otherwise provided in this Part. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).][/sub]
Thanks again for the tip on where to look

GC