• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how much of the pistol has to be visible to be open carry?

choppys_corner

imported post

and is a tactical/drop leg legal for the open carry? i've looked everywhere and cant find anything on these two topics i dont know if i've overlooked something or just gone blind in reading so can someone please let me know? thanks.

choppys_corner

imported post

ok my next question is, is there a limit to the size of firearm? because from what i understand is if you really want to you could go around with a rifle over your sholder if you really want to am i mistaken on that?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

choppys_corner wrote:

and is a tactical/drop leg legal for the open carry? i've looked everywhere and cant find anything on these two topics i dont know if i've overlooked something or just gone blind in reading so can someone please let me know? thanks.

There is no definition on how much may or may NOT be "open" just as long as a person can reasonably Id it as a firearm.

Tactial/Drop leg is ABSOLUTELY legal to use as OC. The same for shoulder holster. IWB holster.

Some officers that I have talked to will have (to themselves) the clear definition OPEN 100%. Meaning NO obstruction to visability of ANY part of the firearm. That is just THEIR "interpretation" of the law. Open IS Open. Concealed is Concealed.

Once again there is NO definition to what Open really is. But just as long as a person reasonably can Id it as a firearm.

TJ

ainokea

imported post

choppys_corner wrote:
ok my next question is, is there a limit to the size of firearm? because from what i understand is if you really want to you could go around with a rifle over your sholder if you really want to am i mistaken on that?
Yes, from a legal stand point you could carry a rifle over your shoulder. If you were going to do this I would plan on having a lot of LEO encounters in the form of MWAG calls.

choppys_corner

imported post

33itmefs wrote:
choppys_corner wrote:
Um, bro? My last post was a joke. Utah does not do the whole midget discrimination thing. :cool:
yeah i know that much is obvious bro!and rather funny at that

schwarzi88

imported post

anyone besides me have an AR-pistol ..... never tested the CC on that .... would be a major bug-eye opener if u get stopped with that lol!

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
anyone besides me have an AR-pistol ..... never tested the CC on that .... would be a major bug-eye opener if u get stopped with that lol!
I was also wondering about the Mac 10/11 or UZI's (semi-auto's of course). There pistols...

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

usSiR wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:
I was also wondering about the Mac 10/11 or UZI's (semi-auto's of course). There pistols...

Why limit it to semi-auto's? Full auto's are legal here in Utah.... just make sure you've done the appropriate Federal paperwork for the $200.00 stamp!

JoeSparky

SLC-Vegan

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
choppys_corner wrote:
Tactial/Drop leg is ABSOLUTELY legal to use as OC. The same for shoulder holster. IWB holster.
I prefer carrying with my holster on a drop belt.
One: makes me faster on the draw.
Two: makes it easier to see (even with an untucked shirt).
Three: doesn't pull down my pants.

scorpioajr

imported post

SLC-VEGAN:

Do you position the drop-leg on top of your thigh or on the side? Furthermore, have you tried either in regards to weapon retention? I only ask b/c i was interested in OCing with a drop-leg, but worried it may create a situation where i might feel vulnerable.

SLC-Vegan

imported post

I carry it on the side. I can draw quicker that way.
I attached a piece of spandex/nylon stretchy web belt to the bottom of the holster that wraps around my thigh.
It makes for great weapon retention. I ride my bicycle everywhere I go and my big heavy revolver is perfectly secure.
Also, if I come across an individual that makes me nervous I can hang my right arm and it looks natural but is protecting my gun from being taken from me while at the same time makes me ready to draw very quickly.

scorpioajr

imported post

SLC-Vegan wrote:
....if I come across an individual that makes me nervous I can hang my right arm and it looks natural but is protecting my gun...
I really want to take a class on weapon retention. i told my buddy that he needs to try and take my gun when ever he has the chance. So far so good...freakin YouTube training.

thx997303

imported post

If I'm worried more than usual, I rest my elbow on the back of my gun.

That way my reaction is immediate.

I usually do this while standing in line at a store, or if someone is a little too close to me.

SLC-Vegan

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
If I'm worried more than usual, I rest my elbow on the back of my gun.

That way my reaction is immediate.

I do about the same, but with my drop belt the handle of my gun is right at wrist level.
I always do this when in lines as well, or when anybody is within an arm's reach. Better paranoid then dead.

thx997303

imported post

Agreed, the only thing that I would worry about with the drop leg platform would be someone thinking you were going to draw.

You sure as heck can't draw with your elbow:)