• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self defense story in Ky without a shot being fired

zrukman

imported post

This happened to me a couple of months ago and being a new member to OC I wanted to share it with you all. I was launching my boat on the Kentucky river by myself around 6:00 am and I was the onlyperson in small state park. I backed my boat down a 2 lane ramp near the water and I was at the back of my boat unhooking the straps. Ihave my CC license and I always have something with me but I was wearing swim trunks and a undershirt. I wasn't really dressed to conceal because I was going fishing. Then I noticed a beat up ford taurus creeping down the ramp with two guys in the car. They were driving down the ramp at like 2 mph so I knew something was wrong. I immediately got my XD40 with a paddle holster out of my truck and made sure that I was ready. Needless to say there was a huge bulge in the shape of my XD showing through my undershirt. These guys were still creeping down the rampso they did not see me strap on my piece.

I proceeded to getinto my boat because I still wanted a little extra barrier if I needed some time to react.Again I'm on a two lane ramp and these guys now park right in front of my truck 3 feet off my bumper, so I'm not going anywhere. I did have a cell phone on me but this area of the river has no cell coverage because it's in a huge valley so calling LEO was out of the question. These two guysget out of the car andstartwalking to one side of the boat. They looked like they were out partying all night and did not look friendly.I then stood up and said "You boys need somehelp?" They both immediately noticed that I wasn't going to be their next victim.One guy tapped the other and theyturned around without saying a word and got back into their car and backed all the way up the ramp.

Iknow this is a long story without any shots being firedbut I bet this happens more often than you think. These are the stories that the anti gun nuts never hear or want to report about. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't carry and only relied on LEO to protect me. I might have been sleeping with the fishes!

PS. I now want to start OC so maybe my first time will be shopping at Walmart this weekend. :dude:

Dustin

imported post

zrukman wrote:
This happened to me a couple of months ago and being a new member to OC I wanted to share it with you all. I was launching my boat on the Kentucky river by myself around 6:00 am and I was the onlyperson in small state park. I backed my boat down a 2 lane ramp near the water and I was at the back of my boat unhooking the straps. Ihave my CC license and I always have something with me but I was wearing swim trunks and a undershirt. I wasn't really dressed to conceal because I was going fishing. Then I noticed a beat up ford taurus creeping down the ramp with two guys in the car. They were driving down the ramp at like 2 mph so I knew something was wrong. I immediately got my XD40 with a paddle holster out of my truck and made sure that I was ready. Needless to say there was a huge bulge in the shape of my XD showing through my undershirt. These guys were still creeping down the rampso they did not see me strap on my piece.

I proceeded to getinto my boat because I still wanted a little extra barrier if I needed some time to react.Again I'm on a two lane ramp and these guys now park right in front of my truck 3 feet off my bumper, so I'm not going anywhere. I did have a cell phone on me but this area of the river has no cell coverage because it's in a huge valley so calling LEO was out of the question. These two guysget out of the car andstartwalking to one side of the boat. They looked like they were out partying all night and did not look friendly.I then stood up and said "You boys need somehelp?" They both immediately noticed that I wasn't going to be their next victim.One guy tapped the other and theyturned around without saying a word and got back into their car and backed all the way up the ramp.

Iknow this is a long story without any shots being firedbut I bet this happens more often than you think. These are the stories that the anti gun nuts never hear or want to report about. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't carry and only relied on LEO to protect me. I might have been sleeping with the fishes!

PS. I now want to start OC so maybe my first time will be shopping at Walmart this weekend. :dude:

Yet another Success story :cool:

Glad you made it out OK :)

Dr.Coy

imported post

Yeah that is pretty creepy. Either they were on drugs and disoriented thinking they were at a McDonalds... or they were up to no good. Common sense tells me the later is true and not the former.

Godspeed to ya, and glad in this instance only acknowledging a possible threat was all it took to deter it.

Happy Fishing! haha

N00blet45

imported post

There's going to be an OC dinner (Texas Roadhouse) in Elizabethtown this Saturday at 6pm if you want to come look up the thread in the Kentucky sub-forum.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Got a few tales meself.....but one about my daughter is a beaut.

Was at a river camp and had to leave for some goodies. Gave my daughter a scoped rifle for 'just in case'.

Two scroungy guys beached their boat about 30 feet from my daughter and announced they were gonna park there for awhile.

She shifted the rifle around and said "I don't think so". HehHeh....they relaunched in record time.:D

AND.....Meet us in Elizabethtown Saturday at 6 pm ....The Texas Roadhouse!

zrukman

imported post

I would have loved it to meet you guys in Etown but my parents are here visiting from Illinois. I will check back to see when you guys have another get together and I will be sure to make it.